Used Car

Hi there.

I'm looking into buying my first Toyota, a 2001 Corolla Conquest.

I was after some advise from other people who own or have more knowledge about this model than me (ie. next to none at all).

Any and all opinions would be more than welcome. What do you think of this model? are they reliable? Do they drive well/ hold their value/ etc.

Thanks.

Law.

i cannot think of anything to really look out for but the usual things that you do with any car but maybe you try to get one that was after april 2003 because it was revamped to have 15" wheels and different fabric for the seats.

ahh but then we would need to make a list of the things the buyer must look out for

My Stivo is perfect. :D

I think all the issues have been ironed out, since it was a new model.

Also to add to Kcorro suggestion, they are 15" alloys, not the steel ones seen on earlier models.

Kcorro was talking about the 2001 Sportivo, the old turbo thing :P

forget the conquest  <_<

buy Sportivo.  :lol:

I would never buy a second hand turbo petrol vehicle in this country, the chances of it having had its guts thrashed out is too high.

The current model sportivo does not come with a turbo :P

Edited by Cooley

forget the conquest  <_<

buy Sportivo.  :lol:

I would never buy a second hand turbo petrol vehicle in this country, the chances of it having had its guts thrashed out is too high.

The current model sportivo does not come with a turbo :P

I believe he was talking about the 2001 Sportivo as the original poster was on about buying a 2001 rolla. That sportivo (the father of our Sportivo) was a turbo charged car (and not particularly fast, lets just say almost 10 second 0-100)

Edit: Just saw your :P didn't realise you were joking :).

Edited by Blade Hunter

On a serious note Lawman, increase the personal loan, get a second job, increase the mortgage on the home, sell your wife and children, i and every other fellow here can attest it is worth every dollar.

COPY & PASTE from REDBOOK.com.au

2003 TOYOTA COROLLA

ZZE123R Hatchback Sportivo 5dr Man 6sp 1.8i (May onwards)

average kms 40,000 - 50,000

Trade in price guide* $19,800 - $22,600

National average price - private sale* $21,900 - $25,300

Price when new (RRP) $29,990

all prices quoted are GST inclusive

Artivo :rolleyes:

Hi there.

I'm looking into buying my first Toyota, a 2001 Corolla Conquest.

I was after some advise from other people who own or have more knowledge about this model than me (ie. next to none at all).

Any and all opinions would be more than welcome. What do you think of this model? are they reliable? Do they drive well/ hold their value/ etc.

Thanks.

Law.

G'day Lawman,

Just a quick question ... are you referring to the "current" shape Conquest (short-back hatch, sedan and wagon) that was released in December 01 or the previous model Conquest (long-back hatch and sedan) that ran the rest of 01?

In terms of overall ownership, such as reliability and resale, a Corolla is a Corolla pretty much, they have a pretty fair reputation as being a good car to own, especially as a first car when the $$$ are tighter. For the smaller things (trim, mechanical spec, standard equipment, we'd need to know your answer to my first question.

I have an '04 Conquest wagon, and most people here have Corolla's of the 01-04 ilk, so if you're looking at that general body shape, there will be advice aplenty!

Either the 2001 or 2002 Corolla Conquest would be a good car. There are no issues with either vehicle. The New shape is a more solid vehicle and has a smoother and more economical engine. The older shape is still a great vehicle and the engine in that model has a more torquey characteristic to it. Just the usual things to look out for (Accident damage & poor mechanical maintenance).

Either the 2001 or 2002 Corolla Conquest would be a good car.  There are no issues with either vehicle.  The New shape is a more solid vehicle and has a smoother and more economical engine.  The older shape is still a great vehicle and the engine in that model has a more torquey characteristic to it.  Just the usual things to look out for (Accident damage & poor mechanical maintenance).

Hi Everyone.

Thanks a lot for the great advise. Much appreciated.

And I was amazed at how quickly this thread got off topic... :lol:

Once more, thanks for the advise, I'll let you all know which way I go.

Law

I drove a 2000 model (hire car in an auto) for about 2 weeks in Western Australia and racked up nearly 6,000Km in it - a lot of hard/fast country driving.

The day after I got home from My holiday, I went out and bought a 2002 Ascent, with some dealer options like 15" mags, etc. In the 15 months and 32,000 Km I had it it was probably the best car I had owned to date.

Of course as soon as the Sportivo was released I went out and bought one - because in my opinion, it had all the extra's that were lacking! - and it is head and shoulders aboove a "standard" Corolla.

A couple of points to note, I would not go and buy one of the previous body shape, with the very sloping back. In the 2002 (to current ) shape, you have quite a few advantages over the old shape.

The overall visibility and driving position is far better, the 100Kw is much better to drive than the previous 87kW, and the 2002-current is better on the fuel (slightly) than the previous car.

If I was in the market for a car, any Corolla from 2002-current with less than 40,000 on it would be a good choice. Look at what is on offer, drive a few different models and you will do OK.