Aurion Smart Key

Mohit

I bought a couple of Smart Key remotes off eBay for our Presara.

They did not come with the key blanks that slot into the side of the remotes.

Can these be bought separately from Toyota?

smartkey01.jpg

Also, is it possible to program these myself or do i need to take them down to my Toyota dealer along with the car?

That's a bit of a bummer. They should have provided a blank with the smart key itself. You're best bet would be to call up your local Toyota spare parts department. I'm pretty sure they will have them for sale. Since it's just they key blade you're after, it shouldn't cost much.

As for the programming, you will need to take your car and all keys to a Toyota service department unless you can get your hands on an intelligent tester:

smartkeyus5.jpg

You will be looking at around $30 and anywhere between 30-60 minutes for the whole procedure depending on how good your service department is.

Please can anyone confirm that if these smart keys have been previously registered to a vehicle then they CAN NOT be reused on another vehicle!

Example; One from a Wrecked vehicle being reused.

A service adviser at my local Toyota Dealer told me this!

He said to be careful of the ones on Ebay.

Please can anyone confirm that if these smart keys have been previously registered to a vehicle then they CAN NOT be reused on another vehicle!

I have a feeling that the guy at Toyota said that to make you buy directly from them. Just like how they told me not to beleive what they say on forums about the Fulcrum suspension part fix, and that they could do a wheel alignment to fix the veering to the left issue.

With the remote, the code is stored in it, and pairing it with the car should not make any changes to it. All that they do is program the ECU in the car to recognise a particular key. I could be wrong, but I guess Mohit would be able to confirm this.

With the remote, the code is stored in it, and pairing it with the car should not make any changes to it. All that they do is program the ECU in the car to recognise a particular key. I could be wrong, but I guess Mohit would be able to confirm this.

If that is the case, does it mean that:

1. every key has a unique code.

2. You let the ECU of a car to recognise a key, not programming a key to recognise a car.

If that is the case, it means you can have 1 key to have access to 2 cars! It will be a serious security issue if you purchase second hand remote.

Edited by Kmg

The ECU has a mode that allows you to de-register keys in addition to adding them. It would be expected that you do that before passing the key on for someone else to use. When you think about it as well, should the key stay registered, one would need to find the car it is registered to first if they wanted to steal it.

It's like the lock and key idea. There are not enough tumbler/pin combinations out there to have only one of each key. There is a good chance that the physical key you have will unlock another lock. It's just that you probably will never find that other lock.

Called a few dealerships today.

Prices for the key blanks range from $80 to $95 each...what a rip! :angry:

Has anyone bought one for cheaper?

One of my mate's relatives works at Toyota.

I'm going to see if he can get an employee discount but not sure if that stretches to spare parts as well?

Edited by Mohit

I'm going to see if he can get an employee discount but not sure if that stretches to spare parts as well?

Whoa. That is a rip. When you consider that the chipped key for the non smart entry cost me $110.88, you would think that a key blade with no chip in it would be much cheaper.

Toyota's part pricing for the Aurion is all over the place. The Airbag module, which can cost up to $600 on some cars, was only $125 from Toyota. And the side mirror assembly with motor and indicator.... $66.50. A key blank costing more than a side mirror... what a joke.

Whoa. That is a rip. When you consider that the chipped key for the non smart entry cost me $110.88, you would think that a key blade with no chip in it would be much cheaper.

Toyota's part pricing for the Aurion is all over the place. The Airbag module, which can cost up to $600 on some cars, was only $125 from Toyota. And the side mirror assembly with motor and indicator.... $66.50. A key blank costing more than a side mirror... what a joke.

Last week purchased a new mirror indicator lamp for $39.00 fitted.........

• 1 month later...

You can re-use a key from another vehicle. You do need an "IT TESTER or aftermarket scantool" to program it in to the system.

The Vehicle immobiliser downloads the logic code from the key as the logic code is fixed (same as Falcons for example)

Vehicles like the Commodore have the code stored in the Body control Module and Upload the code to the "EMPTY" key/transponder, once writen the key will only work with that BCM.

If you misplace your keys or they are stolen, you can erase that or all keys from the memory, DJKOR was correct in his statement

Regards Phil

Hey, i have a question or two. Kinda not Off-topic.

My Toyota Aurion came with a Smart key from the beginning, the same one shown in the first post. At first the doors would unlock when i came near the driver or passenger sides, After a while it stopped doing that. Now I'm not complaining, Because there are sensors on the door handles so its still easy to unlock it without having to push anything. But i wonder, WHY?!, Is it because of the battery or something?, That can't be right because it really didn't take long before it stopped doing it. If it is the battery then i must say, It has an incredibly short life!.

Next question, What kind of batteries does the smart key take?, I checked out the manual and saw a diagram showing those tiny round ones *don't know what they're called -.-*, But these looked a bit bigger than the ones I'm accustomed to. I hope i can do it by myself if i can.

And finally, What happens if the battery runs out completely?, The car is push button start, It would be very icky if it runs out when I'm out somewhere..., So will there be a warning of some sorts?.

First question is the one that matters, So i hope somebody can answer it.

The smart key is only supposed to unlock when you touch the sensor on the inside of the door handle. It should not unlock because you are near the car. Maybe the first few times it occurred because there was a foreign particle stuck on the inner door handle that would have acted like a hand touching the door handle, hence it would unlock the vehicle when you came near.

If the smart key battery does go dead, you can still start the car. The smart key must be placed right next to the start button while you press the button.

I have a feeling that the guy at Toyota said that to make you buy directly from them. Just like how they told me not to beleive what they say on forums about the Fulcrum suspension part fix, and that they could do a wheel alignment to fix the veering to the left issue.

Bit off topic, but what is that about???

Bit off topic, but what is that about???

I was just saying how that DerekD said a dealer advised him to be careful about the ones on eBay. When dealers say things like that, it's sometimes to make you buy from them instead and waste money. I was using the wheel alignment thing as a comparison since when I went for a service, I discussed the whole offset bushes issue and he said don't believe what you read online and that for $55, they can fix the problem with a simple wheel alignment (which many people here reported to do barely anything).

• 4 weeks later...

Just be careful, Toyota parts departments ain't that bright. The price they have quoted you for is for a standard master key (i.e. AT-X, Prodigy etc. without Smart Entry). The thin key that slides into the Smart Entry fob actually prices up over $200!!! Double-check with your parts guys, and ask to have a look at the Microcat pictures to confirm they are bringing up the correct part/number.

how do u get the car to automatically lock as u walk away?

Probably something the techs at Toyota would have to do i reckon...

It is not possible to program the body module to lock the vehicle as you walk away. You need to either press the lock button on the smart key remote, or press the black button on the door handle.

how do u get the car to automatically lock as u walk away?

Probably something the techs at Toyota would have to do i reckon...

It is not possible to program the body module to lock the vehicle as you walk away. You need to either press the lock button on the smart key remote, or press the black button on the door handle.

On that topic, if anyone is curious as to what can be customised in the Aurion, I've copied the relevant sections out of the service manual. Originally posted here:

zr6, manual option for my zr6

As a courtesy, I have taken a quick look through the service manuals and here is all that I could find for customisation. There may be others, but this is what I could find in my search:

Automatic Air Conditioner (climate control):

airconditionerlg3.jpg

Door Locks:

doorlock1py4.jpg

doorlock2fx2.jpg

doorlock3nd8.jpg

Illumination:

illuminationnm2.jpg

Key Reminder:

keyreminderyk2.jpg

Theft Deterrent:

theftdeterrentrg9.jpg

Theft Deterrent (with Smart Entry):

theftdeterrentsezo3.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hi i am not sure if i am in the right spot. Has anyone successfully bought the ebay remotes and reprogrammed them as a spare key? My spare was damaged beyond repair and toyota says a new one will be at least $400.

Regards

Dave :D