clutch slipping?

hi peeps,

I think i got a problem with my clutch, the whole car smell like burn. What i experience taking off gear 1 it start to struggle kind of like a vibrate, it happan around 1200rpm.

Could it be the clutch wearing out? if so what kind of brand clutch shud i get, im planning not to do any mods to the car so shud i get a stock standed clutch? and how much it cost?

Appreciated guys!!

hi peeps,

I think i got a problem with my clutch, the whole car smell like burn. What i experience taking off gear 1 it start to struggle kind of like a vibrate, it happan around 1200rpm.

Could it be the clutch wearing out? if so what kind of brand clutch shud i get, im planning not to do any mods to the car so shud i get a stock standed clutch? and how much it cost?

Appreciated guys!!

To check the condition of the clutch, put it in 5th or 6th and try and take off with the handbrake on. If you have the clutch pedal almost completely released before it stalls, then the clutch has had it.

Don't buy the OEM clutch for reasons explained above (I've been quoted $800 unfitted). The Excedy HD clutch is popular.

Exceedy heavy duty is the go. feels like a stock clutch and in some cases the pedal is actually softer.

If you want a price on one PM me. I can get them cheaper than most places as some on here will testify to.

Exceedy heavy duty is the go. feels like a stock clutch and in some cases the pedal is actually softer.

If you want a price on one PM me. I can get them cheaper than most places as some on here will testify to.

Silvabullit FTW.

Cost me all up a little over $1000 and I got Exedy clutch, lightweight flywheel, and replaced oils and seals while it was all out

i just got home from the machanics, he test drive to 1st gear he told me the clutch is fine. He tryed putting in to 5th gear to take off and it stall straight away.

But for me i still feel the shuddering 1st gear take off, this only happans when is cold morning start take off.

When its warm its fine.

The shuddering while taking off would indicate the opposite of a worn clutch. If the clutch slips, the engine should be free to rev while the car doesn't move.

check your intake piping to see if there are cracks. It sounds more like a hesitation when the engine is cold. Do you have an intake or pod filter in your car?

Edited by qkslvr

the exedy heavy duty clucth feels really light doesnt it?? or is it just me cuz when depressed and relased it feels lighter then normal i thought it would have to be heavy because its heavy duty??

sorry to hijack thread jonny =]

Thanks in advance

Cheers Steven,

The shuddering while taking off would indicate the opposite of a worn clutch. If the clutch slips, the engine should be free to rev while the car doesn't move.

check your intake piping to see if there are cracks. It sounds more like a hesitation when the engine is cold. Do you have an intake or pod filter in your car?

Everything stock qkslvr.

like I said. everything seems to indicate a hesitation from idle. since it can't be a ignition timing issue with these engines, I'd say look at air leaks in the intake piping, or perhaps even old spark plugs. How many K's and when was the last service?

Also, to Kaze; heavey duty doesn't always mean heavy pressure plate. It mostly refers to the button material - kind of like when they say "heavy duty break pads". Also, a new clutch will always seem lighter due to the thrust bearings being brand-spanking new. Everything will eventuall get heavier as the clutch and bearings wear in.

The difference between a standard and heavy duty clutch is usually the pressure plate for the first step. Eg standard Exedy and Exedy HD clutch kits both have organic plates. The pedal feel is influenced by the pivot point of the fingers on the pressure plate. For the throwout bearing to influence the pedal feel, it would have to be really messed up or the guide severely gualed, especially with the hydraulic actuation.

like I said. everything seems to indicate a hesitation from idle. since it can't be a ignition timing issue with these engines, I'd say look at air leaks in the intake piping, or perhaps even old spark plugs. How many K's and when was the last service?

Also, to Kaze; heavey duty doesn't always mean heavy pressure plate. It mostly refers to the button material - kind of like when they say "heavy duty break pads". Also, a new clutch will always seem lighter due to the thrust bearings being brand-spanking new. Everything will eventuall get heavier as the clutch and bearings wear in.

My car is fine atm only if its warm. Car has done 65k atm. Last service was 61k shown on the service manual.

If the clutch was to wear out, im sure the car will run on free REV is that right?

The difference between a standard and heavy duty clutch is usually the pressure plate for the first step. Eg standard Exedy and Exedy HD clutch kits both have organic plates. The pedal feel is influenced by the pivot point of the fingers on the pressure plate. For the throwout bearing to influence the pedal feel, it would have to be really messed up or the guide severely gualed, especially with the hydraulic actuation.

I've gone through a few clutches in passed lives with my old car but i'll take your word for it ;)

My car is fine atm only if its warm. Car has done 65k atm. Last service was 61k shown on the service manual.

If the clutch was to wear out, im sure the car will run on free REV is that right?

yep. you'll notice the clutch will start to catch higher and higher up on the pedal until eventually, the car will just free-rev and keep slipping, then usually followed by the worse smell that your car has ever produced. hehe

yep. you'll notice the clutch will start to catch higher and higher up on the pedal until eventually, the car will just free-rev and keep slipping, then usually followed by the worse smell that your car has ever produced. hehe

Sound like my clutch is not warn out overall, could be anything or air leak like u said. ill get that check out by the machanics.

Thanks mate!.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bringing up this thread, as I'm having problems with my clutch in my 2005 Rolla.

The clutch has been 'slipping', first and second are fine, but anything more than mild acceleration in 3,4 and 5 makes the engine over rev. My warranty runs out Monday (I was going to take it in, but as it went away - I thought they'd tell me to go away as I couldn't reproduce it), so I could take it in on Monday.

I've done the 'test' mentioned here, putting it in 5th and slowly letting the clutch out til the car stalls, it stalls about 1/4 to 1/3rd the way up. I'm seeming to think that its a clutch adjustment that is required, rather than a new clutch. Is there any adjustment I can do myself to fix the issue? I'm quite desperate as its the weekend, and I no service centres are open :-( I'm having to baby the clutch and hopefully not burn it out.

Also, can anyone in Perth let me know a decent Toyota dealer to use, the one I bought my car from seem to be quite lax when it comes to fixing problems correctly.