Extended Warranty

hicam

Hi Guys,

What do you think about the extended warranty offered by Toyota?Worth it if keeping car yeah Do you think that if say you had a CAI or exhaust that this would effect overall warranty or just those particular items that have been modified?

Feel free to respond

Cheers

Mike

Ps does anybody want to buy my ITG filter?

the warranty is only voided on the items that you replace and the items that are directly affected buy the replacement parts

Problem is..

wouldnt that mean if you had the CAI and Exhaust.. and your engine went boom. they could void you warranty?

As the exhaust and CAI change the way your engine breathes?

Id love to get a CAI and CES exhaust system right now... however i dont want to void my warranty

The only way around warranties is to hold onto your original exhaust or whatever origional item(s) you've replaced. And if, heaven forbid, things go wrong quickly throw on the origionals back on again. I know it's painful but there seems to be no other way around warranties, unless you've got the big dollars....

the warranty is only voided on the items that you replace and the items that are directly affected buy the replacement parts

Problem is..

wouldnt that mean if you had the CAI and Exhaust.. and your engine went boom. they could void you warranty?

As the exhaust and CAI change the way your engine breathes?

Id love to get a CAI and CES exhaust system right now... however i dont want to void my warranty

if you get a TRD CAI you are covered and i cant think or anything that they could blame the exhaust for?

if you get a TRD CAI you are covered and i cant think or anything that they could blame the exhaust for?

i remember reading a story a while ago about a guy who changed the exhaust on his WRX and then his engine blew.. Subaru refused warranty because of the Exhaust

Just a question about this from someone who's almost totally mechanically inept ...

There have been instances where people have fitted an exhaust system which has caused the engine power or torque to reduce ... logic suggests that such an adverse effect on the engine could result in damage to the engine over time.

Is that a possibility, especially in a high performance vehicle such as the WRX mentioned above where the engine's abilities have already been stretched to begin with?

i remember reading a story a while ago about a guy who changed the exhaust on his WRX and then his engine blew.. Subaru refused warranty because of the Exhaust

I thought you were covered provided you only change from the cat back.

Basically, if you change anything on the car from stock, and something related to that change breaks, Toyota have grounds to deny a warranty claim. I'll have a chat to one of the senior guys at TMCA QLD who is in charge of warranty claims to get verification on this. I would suspect that if you blew an engine and had a TRD CAI fitted, TMCA would deny the claim. If you are asking a dealer who wants to sell you the CAI if the warranty will be effected, I'd bet they would say "yeah sure, your warranty will be fine" so they can make $350 profit on the red pipe. At the end of the day it's TMCA who have the final say on the claim, not the dealer/service department.

Of course, if you have a warranty claim denied, and the reason for denial is the aftermarket part on your vehicle, you can always take it further legally if you have valid proof that the aftermarket part was in no way related to the failure.

Toyota sell cars to make money, so they will usually do all they can to keep as much of their money in their pockets as they can. If they do this by claiming that your cai and exhaust are responsible for your oil pump failure, it saves them $10K in OPEX.

some possible excuses for warranty denial are:

CAI - caused intake volume to change putting the ECU out of it's normal operating parameters it was designed for, which caused the motor to run rich/lean etc, and blow the motor for one of 10,000 reasons...

Exhaust - similar story to CAI

lowering springs - caused shocks to be operating outside their designed tolerances, so leaking shock is not covered. Same story with clicking CV joint... car is lower than the CV was designed for so claim denied.

Stereo - Aftermarket stereo was spliced into factory loom, voiding the warranty on the vehicle's electrical system, ecu, etc.

Aftermarket clutch/flywheel etc - synchro/gear probs are not covered because the aftermarket parts change the parameters the gearbox is designed for.

Aftermarket wheels - wheel width and offset different than stock so warranty on hub wheel bearings void...

In reference to subaru, they deny warranty on their faulty AFM's if you have anything but the stock paper intake filter installed. If you change any of the exhaust, this also effects the motor, so that's also grounds for them to deny the claim. Also, items like the APS CAI for the WRX will make an MY01 and onwards rex run quite lean which blow's their motors after an extended period of time.

I could go on about this for hours... I've had extensive experience with Subaru, Nissan and Toyota Warranty claims. The general stance from all of the above is the consumer is "guilty until proven innocent."

Edited by rollamods

You made mention that Toyota, and not the dealer, has the final say re: warranty items. That's the way I figured it should happen, but I think most people know of cases where people have a lot of trouble getting items done with some dealers while other dealers are a bit more liberal with the warranty.

Does this come down to the "liberal" dealer fixing things out of their own pocket, or perhaps having a better connection with the manufacturer than another dealer might have?

I know one Toyota dealer that replaced a Celica gearbox under warranty, even though it was well known that the owner was pretty hard on the vehicle and this was most likely the cause of the failure. I also know a heap of other dealers, Toyota and otherwise, that would have shown him the door! :P

Is any one else freaking out here about the CAI fitted to their cars now? How do you know if your running too rich/lean? Can it be fixed?

I know leaning out is far more dangerous for an engine.

My sis is buying my car and i don't wont her to have any probs with warranty and such..

Mike