Traction Controle, Better ON or OFF?

PsychoRez

Firstly, I'd like to thank the guys who posted the steps on how to turn off Traction Control in the Aurion in Previous threads, I didn't even know it was possible lol.

Here's my Question. Do i get better time from 0 to 60 with traction OFF or ON?

Since this is a FWD car, Does Traction Control really help that much aside from keeping the tires from spinning?, Isn't its main role to stop cars from SPINNING?.

BOTTOM LINE!, Does it friggin give me better performance or not?! >.<.

Cheers.

Its funny when someones sitting in the car next you thought, they look at you like 'WTF? have you got OCD or something'.

Lol yeah, I didn't think it would really work but it does!. I don't understand why Toyota didn't simply add a damn TCS button.

Here's my Question. Do i get better time from 0 to 60 with traction OFF or ON?

Neither. The key is knowing just how far to push it before your car breaks traction. With traction control on, once you enter wheel spin it will interrupt the power to the wheels, and you can get a loss from that. If traction control was off and you entered wheel spin, you're obviously not going to keep your foot planted otherwise you are not really going to go anywhere. You would ease off the throttle a little so that the wheel spin would stop, then you would give it some more again.

Now both those cases are when you enter wheel spin. In both cases, you would probably not find one method better than the other; depending on your reflexes. The traction control on the Aurion is pretty laggy in a way and if you have decent control when you enter wheel spin with it off, you can probably do just as good even better. However, if your reaction ain't so crash hot, the traction control may prove to have better reflexes than you.

Either way, if you launch without spinning your wheels, it isn't going to matter whether traction control is off or not. You most likely will do better than either scenario above.

Since this is a FWD car, Does Traction Control really help that much aside from keeping the tires from spinning?, Isn't its main role to stop cars from SPINNING?.

The traction control is there to make sure that your tires do what they are supposed to, and that is roll on the road... not lock up or spin. If it experiences some wheel spin, it will cut the throttle back, or if that doesn't work, will apply some braking to the appropriate wheel. If it locks up during braking, it will pulsate the brake at the wheel that is about to lock up to keep it rolling on the ground. If the wheel is about to slide/skid from a sharp manoeuvre, it will attempt to keep it on track by applying braking to other wheels to counteract the slip. So the traction control not only stops wheel spin, but can also help reduce the chance of your car spinning out of control.

Edit: I stand corrected. A better explanation is in the service manual:

TRAC (Traction Control)

The TRAC system helps prevent the drive wheels from slipping when the driver depresses the accelerator pedal excessively when starting off or accelerating on a slippery surface.

VSC (Vehicle Stability Control)

The VSC system helps prevent the vehicle from slipping sideways as a result of strong front or rear wheel skid during cornering.

I don't understand why Toyota didn't simply add a damn TCS button.

Nothing is impossible. Whenever I get the chance, I'm trying to study a way in which I can make a switch for the traction control. Not because I need it, but because I want a challenge. No promises or anything here. It's just really complicated because even though the traction control is a separate ECU, it interacts with the dash cluster unit and engine ECU as well, so it's a bit tricky to override. Eg. I've got a what that does that funky brake combination to disable the the traction control, but I want a way to re-enable it without turning the car off, and I want to be able to make it turn off again once the car is running.

Now thats one informative post, Thank you DJKOR!

I will still probably mess around with it a lot more to see for myself if i get the best launch with it On or Off lol.

Just asking here, What is the Aurions time in 0 to 60?. Surprised there really aren't any video reviews up on youtube. Closest thing i could find is a 2008 Camry video review, And i believe those use the same exact engine the Aurion does. They say it does it in 6.6 seconds. I know the Aurion is a wee bit heavier than the Camry, But I'm guessing not enough to hurt that time. Is it possible to do it quicker if you perfect your launch?.

Now thats one informative post, Thank you DJKOR!

I will still probably mess around with it a lot more to see for myself if i get the best launch with it On or Off lol.

Just asking here, What is the Aurions time in 0 to 60?. Surprised there really aren't any video reviews up on youtube. Closest thing i could find is a 2008 Camry video review, And i believe those use the same exact engine the Aurion does. They say it does it in 6.6 seconds. I know the Aurion is a wee bit heavier than the Camry, But I'm guessing not enough to hurt that time. Is it possible to do it quicker if you perfect your launch?.

According to carsales.com.au

Acceleration - 0-100km/h (secs) 7.4

Maximum speed (km/h) 228