Avoid Lane Toyota for servicing

Hey Peeps,

Well after the flood of responses I got recommending an excellent mechanic for my Sportivo, I did the ring around and found Lane Toyota convenient and reasonably priced, so decided to take a chance on them.

Was quoted $240 for a 50000km on the phone and when I arrived in the morning my paperwork listed the price as $256. Off to a bad start.

I complain and they fix that, then I tell them specifically I'm not authorising any additional repairs outside of the book service, to which they reply it's doubtful they would need to perform any other work, sounds good considering the car is running perfect.

Sure enough, a few hours later I get the dreaded call. Tragedy has struck, not only are my injectors horribly clogged, but alas, my power steering fluid is in dire need of replacement.

I politely declined their offer of reaming my wallet of $130 for injector cleaning and $100 for power steering fluid replacement, and am yet again disappointed in the quality of service provided these days.

I have to wonder about the quality of the overall service now I know they are the kind of workshop that will try and dupe unsuspecting owners into paying for crap they don't need.

My advice, avoid Lane Toyota. The search for a good Toyota mechanic continues.

i stay clear of all dealer mechanics, not cos there dodgy or have bad services, neither the price. even though they are a bit more deer than independant mechanics. The stamp in the logbook doesnt bother me.

On saturday i got:

Front brake pads changed: Bendix General CT (Supplied)

Front Rotors machined

Oil and Oil filter changed: Penrite HPR5 (Supplied)

Coilovers taken out

Kingsprings installed (Supplied)

Rear Swaybar and front Underbrace installed (Supplied)

They even changed the air filter and pink slip all for $250

i stay clear of all dealer mechanics, not cos there dodgy or have bad services, neither the price. even though they are a bit more deer than independant mechanics. The stamp in the logbook doesnt bother me.

On saturday i got:

Front brake pads changed: Bendix General CT (Supplied)

Front Rotors machined

Oil and Oil filter changed: Penrite HPR5 (Supplied)

Coilovers taken out

Kingsprings installed (Supplied)

Rear Swaybar and front Underbrace installed (Supplied)

They even changed the air filter and pink slip all for $250

WTF!?!

thats so cheap! i got charged $80 for my front rotors..

and around $200 for the service.. just like u, supplied all the filter and oil

wheres this?!?!

Hey Peeps,

Well after the flood of responses I got recommending an excellent mechanic for my Sportivo, I did the ring around and found Lane Toyota convenient and reasonably priced, so decided to take a chance on them.

Was quoted $240 for a 50000km on the phone and when I arrived in the morning my paperwork listed the price as $256. Off to a bad start.

I complain and they fix that, then I tell them specifically I'm not authorising any additional repairs outside of the book service, to which they reply it's doubtful they would need to perform any other work, sounds good considering the car is running perfect.

Sure enough, a few hours later I get the dreaded call. Tragedy has struck, not only are my injectors horribly clogged, but alas, my power steering fluid is in dire need of replacement.

I politely declined their offer of reaming my wallet of $130 for injector cleaning and $100 for power steering fluid replacement, and am yet again disappointed in the quality of service provided these days.

I have to wonder about the quality of the overall service now I know they are the kind of workshop that will try and dupe unsuspecting owners into paying for crap they don't need.

All toyota dealers call you up after you bring the car in for service and recommend that you do the injector service. I think the girl at service desk reception is on a commission for selling this extra to you. They always call me to have it done after I drop the car off for service, for which I politely decline as I did not budget for it.

;)

my mates, mates shop. I had bought the oil, oil filter and brake pads off him cos they are also a wholesaler.

Where's this guy located ? I'm looking for a good independent mechanic for my next service !

Hey Peeps,

All toyota dealers call you up after you bring the car in for service and recommend that you do the injector service. I think the girl at service desk reception is on a commission for selling this extra to you. They always call me to have it done after I drop the car off for service, for which I politely decline as I did not budget for it.

;)

Not _all_ stealerships suggest you need your injectors cleaned. The challenge is trying to find a good one that is not trying to value add (scam you) during the service. Lane Toyota fail.

I gotta put my two cents in recommend my local dealer here in Melton, Melton Toyota have been look after me for a couple of years now. Sure they're a little more expensive than other workshops but they've never ripped me off. Always always ask before carrying out any extra work. The service is always around the same price (approx $215 at the most). They even helped me get my car fixed for free when it was a couple of months out of warranty. The synchros went in second and they replaced nearly the entire contents of the gearbox. lol. nearly $3000 work including labor... I'm just glad they're my local dealer and not someone else like.. like... Le Mans Toyota in Deer Park/Footscray!!! They're a bunch of greasy car salesmen if i ever saw one... eww

Edited by ADDZZ

Yeah i bought my corolla from melbourne city toyota. Took it there for its first and second servicing.

They done a good job, but i found that $175 is a bit too much for oil and oil filter change.

When they quoted me an absurd amount for the first major service, i just took it to ultra tune, where my regular mechanic works.

It cost me $250 and still got the stamp in the book. And i believe they do as good as a job as the toyota dealership.

Not taking it to MCT means i loose my extended 3 year warranty, which they offered if i serviced there, but im not really fussed. I had already got all the nitty gritties out of the way when it was under normal warranty.

Yeah i bought my corolla from melbourne city toyota. Took it there for its first and second servicing.

They done a good job, but i found that $175 is a bit too much for oil and oil filter change.

When they quoted me an absurd amount for the first major service, i just took it to ultra tune, where my regular mechanic works.

It cost me $250 and still got the stamp in the book. And i believe they do as good as a job as the toyota dealership.

Not taking it to MCT means i loose my extended 3 year warranty, which they offered if i serviced there, but im not really fussed. I had already got all the nitty gritties out of the way when it was under normal warranty.

yeah good idea. the dealer extended warranties usually cover up to only $1000 of work anyway. hardly worth it in the long run.

now ive worked for a certain toyota dealer and i wont mention which one.

power steering fluid rarely would need changing definatly not at 50000 and the injector service is a load of **** all we used was a can of cleaning stuff that we were meant to hook to the fuel line but we were told to dump it in the tank apparently thats bad for the fuel filter but most times if we were out of the stuff the service office would charge the customer for it anyway and there were many other little indiscepencies but at the same time the warranty clerck was about the only honest guy in management helped a few people claim on warranty even if it was a few months out.

anyway i ended up leaving cause i couldnt handle what they did to the customers.

in short a good dealership is hard to find

power steering fluid rarely would need changing definatly not at 50000 and the injector service is a load of **** all we used was a can of cleaning stuff that we were meant to hook to the fuel line but we were told to dump it in the tank apparently thats bad for the fuel filter but most times if we were out of the stuff the service office would charge the customer for it anyway and there were many other little indiscepencies but at the same time the warranty clerck was about the only honest guy in management helped a few people claim on warranty even if it was a few months out.

anyway i ended up leaving cause i couldnt handle what they did to the customers.

sounds like your one of those few honest mechanic........do you do after work repairs, whereabouts are you.....

See this is where I am lucky a good mate of mine did his apprenticeship at Toyota, a service would cost me a box of rum and coke and fluids and ****. Speaking of which, me cars due for a service.

sounds like your one of those few honest mechanic........do you do after work repairs, whereabouts are you.....

i do sundays but im up north round berowra