Rear Skirt or Not?

boetab

Hi Guys...

I need some advice! I have recently purchased and fitted a the rear skirt for the Sportivo (Pre-Face Lift Model) but i am unsure whether to keep it on or remove it for the stock colour coded mudflaps. I know its personal choice at the end of the day, but i really want to know the general concensus around here on this mod.

Thanks guys...

I think they look choice bro. :) I'd get one myself if it wasn't for my towbar. <_<

Have you got an upgraded exhaust or muffler? Cause the tips might sit behind the lip.

Gav.

Thanks for the reply. I am in the process of getting the exhaust upgraded, and that was another issue that i worried about. I didnt want to cut into the skirt, and i wanted to keep the stock look, so i was going to get them to 'hide' it behind the skirt, the way it is at the moment.

Just a quick question on the exhaust topic though... i have read up ALOT about the exhaust upgrade, on this forum as well as others. But i cant seem to work out a definitive answer...

On a Sportivo, is it 2.25 inch or 2.5 inch? And does it REALLY make that much of difference. I really want to spend the $750 on something thats worth my while! :)

Thanks for all the help tho guys... its the first time i have posted, but i have really enjoyed the reading for all this time! :)

I think they look choice bro. :) I'd get one myself if it wasn't for my towbar. <_<

Have you got an upgraded exhaust or muffler? Cause the tips might sit behind the lip.

Gav.

Thanks for the reply. I am in the process of getting the exhaust upgraded, and that was another issue that i worried about. I didnt want to cut into the skirt, and i wanted to keep the stock look, so i was going to get them to 'hide' it behind the skirt, the way it is at the moment.

Just a quick question on the exhaust topic though... i have read up ALOT about the exhaust upgrade, on this forum as well as others. But i cant seem to work out a definitive answer...

On a Sportivo, is it 2.25 inch or 2.5 inch? And does it REALLY make that much of difference. I really want to spend the $750 on something thats worth my while! :)

Thanks for all the help tho guys... its the first time i have posted, but i have really enjoyed the reading for all this time! :)

Yeah you had the rear skirt installed so might aswell leave it on...

Go 2.5" on the piping.

You can get a dumpie/turned down tip for any exhaust you have on there, and then you won't get soot or burning of the paint on the lip. The Remus axle-back exhaust already sits lower as if it was meant to sit below the lip, although I'm not it would fully tuck in under it? It's about in your price range too.

Gav.

Yes, you will melt the skirt if you don't have a dump tip. I don't know why you're so afraid of cutting into it though. When I had my Sportivo I just taped up the area of the skirt I was cutting with duct tape (to make sure the edges didn't go angry), used a tin with the right diameter to mark off, and used my bf's jigsaw to cut a subtle curve for the stock exhaust. It looked fine.

Yes, you will melt the skirt if you don't have a dump tip. I don't know why you're so afraid of cutting into it though. When I had my Sportivo I just taped up the area of the skirt I was cutting with duct tape (to make sure the edges didn't go angry), used a tin with the right diameter to mark off, and used my bf's jigsaw to cut a subtle curve for the stock exhaust. It looked fine.

Thats what i did minus the duct tape. just used a perm marker and marked what i needed to cut and out with the electric jigsaw.

then i just handed it to a mate who works at a smash repairs joint to smooth it out, paint it and bobs ur uncle.

does look a tiny bit wierd tho but thats because of my exhaust tips not being angled. im sure if it was a single tip it wouldn't matter

rear.jpg

Thats what i did minus the duct tape. just used a perm marker and marked what i needed to cut and out with the electric jigsaw.

then i just handed it to a mate who works at a smash repairs joint to smooth it out, paint it and bobs ur uncle.

does look a tiny bit wierd tho but thats because of my exhaust tips not being angled. im sure if it was a single tip it wouldn't matter

rear.jpg

Wow... Thanks for the advice guys. With the exhaust though, you guys obviously kept the stock CAT on? A law had just been passed in NZ in Jan this year which states that all cars registered in 2008 are not allowed to have the CATS removed! Bummer? Would it make a big impact on the performance?

@AndrewLy Your car looks really neat! I have a silver one as well... Just a question for you though... With the rear skirt, do you find that from certain angles the colour looks a bit lighter than the actual bumper? I actually had mine repainted and rematched twice to get it perfect, but the panel beater told me that there is just a 'kink' in the paint and at different angles they look different. I actually made them repaint the whole bumper with the skirt on!!

Edited by boetab

like most people have mention, there is no real harm in cutting your skirt, just measure what you need to cut and check and double check if its wide enough.

i know i dont have an exhaust yet, so we just cut it for the stock exhaust just because the lip sat in front of the exhaust, i didn't want my lip to melt :)

for as the paint, cut and fit, me and my friend did it all in my drive way ahahha xD didn't turn out too bad i'd say can you tell it was a home job :)

17112008116.jpg

Edited by tiet

I, myself, prefer the colour coded mudflaps over the rear skirt. But since you've got the rear skirt on already, there's no real sense to remove it.

At the end of the day, it's your own personal preference like you said. =D

I, myself, prefer the colour coded mudflaps over the rear skirt. But since you've got the rear skirt on already, there's no real sense to remove it.

x2 colour coded mudflaps FTW!!!

P8160255.jpg

Wow... Thanks for the advice guys. With the exhaust though, you guys obviously kept the stock CAT on? A law had just been passed in NZ in Jan this year which states that all cars registered in 2008 are not allowed to have the CATS removed! Bummer? Would it make a big impact on the performance?

@AndrewLy Your car looks really neat! I have a silver one as well... Just a question for you though... With the rear skirt, do you find that from certain angles the colour looks a bit lighter than the actual bumper? I actually had mine repainted and rematched twice to get it perfect, but the panel beater told me that there is just a 'kink' in the paint and at different angles they look different. I actually made them repaint the whole bumper with the skirt on!!

I had no dramas with mine because i got the rear bumper re-done at the same time aswell.

figured i'll just add another slab to my mate if he does the whole rear and everything matches

you are right though, silver is really hard to match which is probably why you saw miscolouration.

Gee all the silver corollas are showing their a$$es, nice!

Hey mate, since you are in auckland if you reali dont like your rear skirt i can exchange that with my mudflaps. The only thing is my one is Black so you might need to re paint it

drop me a line if you are interest

P8160255.jpg

Mate, I prefer your wheels.

Bronze stockies FTW !!!!!!!!!!

:toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast:

P8160255.jpg

Mate, I prefer your wheels.

Bronze stockies FTW !!!!!!!!!!

:toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast:

haha thanks mate. I'm even surprised that they turned out as they did for my first attempt.

Well

My corolla didnt have a rear skirt when it came from Japan, Im guessing because it had a big bore and could not be fitted so they went without, but then when it came into NZ for compliance it had to be removed due to it having holes in it. They replaced it with a TRD High Flow one which is probably better since i dont like exhaust noise from N/A cars.

I then went out and got a rear skirt from Toyota Hamilton and that was not cheap. also I got the exhaust tip rewelded as i didnt want to cut a hole in the rear skirt.

I prefer it on as it looked funny with a body kit and it being low you could see the exhaust. :whistling: