Navigation system in corolla

Hi

I'm trying to install a navigation system into my car, I have an IPAQ PDA at the moment, and it is bluetooth enabled, so I'm thinking of buying a Bluetooth GPS Receiver and with some navigation software like Destinator 3 or Navman. Has any one done a similar setup for their cars?

Thanks for the help

I have the same setup done in my car a few months ago, bought a GPS Bluetooth receiver, and a windshield mounting holder, so t he PDA is fixed nicely just in front of me while I'm driving.

Regarding the software, I got the Destinator 3 "2004 Long term Evaluation" version from the internet, hehehe :D. It works quite nicely, doesn't have the most up to date maps, but it guides me to the right places most of the times.

Maybe I'll post some pics of my setup if anyone is interested.

Have a look on eBay, there are some nice ones there that come with warranty.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Cartel-Link-Technology

Hi

I'm trying to install a navigation system into my car, I have an IPAQ PDA at the moment, and it is bluetooth enabled, so I'm thinking of buying a Bluetooth GPS Receiver and with some navigation software like Destinator 3 or Navman. Has any one done a similar setup for their cars?

Thanks for the help

Edited by Stivo04

My navigation system sits in the back seat in the pocket of the passenger front seat....its only about 1 inch thick, required no software or power and never malfunctions....

just doesnt have the sexy chicks voice

LOL

Is that the Map Book?

1 inch thick without the voice, hahahaa

My navigation system sits in the back seat in the pocket of the passenger front seat....its only about 1 inch thick, required no software or power and never malfunctions....

My navigation system sits in the back seat in the pocket of the passenger front seat....its only about 1 inch thick, required no software or power

What a co-incidence, I have a street directory, too, but mine is compact and sits in the centre console box.

and never malfunctions.....

While I do miss the sexy voice, my malfunctions have also decreased considerably since I also asked my wife to stop reading it to me ... this is like deja vu! :blink:

Maybe we're living in parallel universes! :lol:

• 5 months later...
Hi

Thanks for the help

There is a new navigation system being released this month from Toyota and another early next year which will be upgraded with bluetooth compatible, DVD and alot more. Maybe You should pop down to your dealer and have a look at the new model coming out and keep your car all original with a much better nav system than those others your talking about.

Thats my tip from the inside.

There is a new navigation system being released this month from Toyota and another early next year which will be upgraded with bluetooth compatible, DVD and alot more. Maybe You should pop down to your dealer and have a look at the new model coming out and keep your car all original with a much better nav system than those others your talking about.

Thats my tip from the inside.

Hi Stefs,

as indicated not every1 is rolling in money so these alternatives are much more viable options + u get a pda in the process ;) ;) ;)

But seriously i wonder how many Sat Nav systems toyota sells in relation to how many cars they sell in totoal.....

you could always go the complete upgrade option with your stereo system too...

hook yourself up with a mini-pc like this:

http://www.littlepc.com/products_p3littlepc_standard.htm

they're available from heaps of online stores around the interweb, you then get yourself a motorised screen, something like this...

http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_info.p...&products_id=91

put them both in the same spot as your current stereo (there's enough room), run windows/linux/whatever OS you want.

Buy yourself a usb gps module from ebay and plug it in, run it with any of the various mapping software suites that are available.

if you really wanted to you could pay the $20 for the google earth plus software and that will interface with your gps module quite well also, you get satellite photo's as well then, very cool. :)

you also get a fully functioning pc in your car to store music much easier than *any* stereo on the market.

Plus, if you get a wifi addon you can get internet access if you cruise past an unsecured wireless network, :)

you could always go the complete upgrade option with your stereo system too...

hook yourself up with a mini-pc like this:

http://www.littlepc.com/products_p3littlepc_standard.htm

they're available from heaps of online stores around the interweb, you then get yourself a motorised screen, something like this...

http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_info.p...&products_id=91

put them both in the same spot as your current stereo (there's enough room), run windows/linux/whatever OS you want.

Buy yourself a usb gps module from ebay and plug it in, run it with any of the various mapping software suites that are available.

if you really wanted to you could pay the $20 for the google earth plus software and that will interface with your gps module quite well also, you get satellite photo's as well then, very cool. :)

you also get a fully functioning pc in your car to store music much easier than *any* stereo on the market.

Plus, if you get a wifi addon you can get internet access if you cruise past an unsecured wireless network, :)

This is a great idea in theory but what about the need for peripherals (mouse, keyboard, USB devices etc). Surely these would all be difficult to use while driving not to mention finding somewhere to secure them.

Playing music or simply changing track would require you to pull over.

Just not sure if this would be as good as it all sounds.

We've been evaluating the NAVMAN satellite navigation system here at work, and I must say it's the best value for money. I would definately recommend it.

One of the main advantages is that it can be mobile and shifted from car to car, and it doubles as a pocket pc if you're in the market for that sort of thing too.

This is a great idea in theory but what about the need for peripherals (mouse, keyboard, USB devices etc). Surely these would all be difficult to use while driving not to mention finding somewhere to secure them.

Playing music or simply changing track would require you to pull over.

Just not sure if this would be as good as it all sounds.

not really, the monitor is a touch screen so you don't need to worry about that and programs like winamp are easily changed so the buttons are larger and there's software which interprets infrared signals so you could just use a remote anyway.

or, if you use linux OS its even easier.