Custom Sub Box For Corolla

SILVABULLIT

is the performance of the sub affected in anyway?

kinda hard to understand what you mean by performance. do you mean just the shape of the box? because it really doesnt matter what shape your box is, if its cubed or wierd custom moulded into the corner like mine, what matters is the amount of space youve provided the sub inside the box (thats what ive read).

were you talking performance in terms of sound quality? coz i really cant speak on that since im not an expert on building sub boxes, im only sharing with you my experience.

to be honest it was hard for me to calculate since the sub box is such an irregular shape, but after i built the back shell of the box, before i proceeded with the rest of the build, i carefully measured several litres of water in a bucket and poured it into the shell for 2 reasons:

1- to see if it was properly sealed

2- to roughly gauge how many litres of space it would contain.

funny i dont think i talked bout that earlier.. but yea. luckily i did find some holes in a narrow corner which was hard to fibreglass.. so i made a thick mix of resin and poured it inside the shell, hoping the liquid would plug all those holes when it dried up.

i read the requirements of my sub which is only 8inch btw and it had the minimum/maximum recommended litres of space needed to power the sub in a sealed box. by my calculations (or estimations.. half assed attempts at measuring.. whichever you wanna look at it), my box was pretty much well in the middle of the range?!

ported boxes require more space, which is why i chose sealed.

Edited by J_J

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sub box my mate did was similiar in design to J J's except he used MDF for the base as J J suggested. Plus the whole box was glass with no bog so it wasn't heavy at all. It fitted into place and was fastened with 2 big strips of 2" velcro. simple and light weight and sounded good too. All up the box weighed something like 4 KG's and most of that weight was the MDF base.

yep i must agree.. i think the bondo/bog/bodyfiller on the face side only is the reason for the uneven weight distribution and its heaviness. the actual sub itself isnt particularly light either. kinda sucked that it ended up that way but there was no way i could predict the weight balance or the overall weight of the box. my main concern were space saving and a custom fit.

come to think of it, i may revise the design of this box and peel back the carpet and attempt sanding back a lot more of the bog (hopefully to reduce weight) add some sort of weight at the bottom of the inside of the box and recarpet the front with material that more matches the interior. i used plain black fabric to cover the box while the boot interior is a more greyish/black colour.. it was only later that i saw a more appropriate match for my interior @ autobarn.

Edited by J_J

where did you get it? it looks like an almost perfect match. the autobarn greyish carpet looks a bit lighter than whats in my corolla. btw my interior carpet looks like it perfectly matches the colour of your old SB sportivo.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

lol talk about bringing up an old thread!

from memory the fibreglass and all that stuff cost about 150-180 if you DIY...

399 seems a bit much to get it done by someone else. Its fun to make! GET ER DONE YOURSELF!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

someone from sydney used to make similar things for the ZZE and sold them eBay a few months back, but i just went looking for them and theyre not there anyway. are these still available?