Custom Sub Box For Corolla

SILVABULLIT

Big bump here, but...

Did he make the other side, ie fuel filler side?

Got off my **** and started on the stereo in mine, making a false floor atm.

Would be nice to know what to work with.

Cheers.

I'll Bump this too... Silvabullit if you are still out there and this is still possible to be made i would be somewhat interested. Still same price?

Cheers,

Matt

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi SILVABULLIT

Pics look great... would it be possible to get some more pics of taking it out, how it is huld in place and can you still access the little flap on the right hand side in the boot (could not see this in the pic unless this is a new feature in the 05 upgrade Stivo?)

I would definatly be interested in your box, been looking for one or thinking of building one my self but the work has been done :-D how much would postage cost to Brisbane roughly any ideas?

CHEERS!!! :D :D :D

Hi SILVABULLIT

Pics look great... would it be possible to get some more pics of taking it out, how it is huld in place and can you still access the little flap on the right hand side in the boot (could not see this in the pic unless this is a new feature in the 05 upgrade Stivo?)

I would definatly be interested in your box, been looking for one or thinking of building one my self but the work has been done :-D how much would postage cost to Brisbane roughly any ideas?

CHEERS!!! :D :D :D

Silvabullit is in brisbane........come to the meet tonite......and u can ask him abt the box in person...

Sub boxes are still for sale. They are made by Urban Auto Tek and weigh 9kgs with the kicker cvr 12' sub fitted and have 1 cubic foot of capacity from memory. Call Dave from Urban Auto Tek for more info.... 0421 639 152. Let him know that you are from this forum as he does deals for people from this forum but only if your nice ;) :P

Hi again guys...

Sorry I missed out the meet tonight... just found out about it now :-(

So good to see so many people are also from Brisbane as well :-)

Thanks for the number, I'll give him a call and organize a time to go and have a look :-)

CHEERS ALL!

FB

Bugger guys, looks like the box has gone upto $399 now :blink:

He is going to start another box soon and should be ready to have a look in about 1 week from now so I'll give him another call then and see how we go :-)

Apparently he is also working on a slightly new design (Mounting the speaker, not sure how yet but I guess I'll see) :-)

What you do guys think about the price? $400? I personaly think that sounds very expensive???

Edited by fudgebottom

Yeah but have you seen the pictures of the new box?

You can see the improvements made.

I'll be getting one soon most definately.

Most of my stereo is now done, so will be pretty complete.

I just forgot how heavy my amps were... :( Good old removable amp racks! :D

Hay Donza

I have not seen the new box yet... do you know where I can find out what has changed and see some pictures?

I was thinking of making my own box but want it to look good at the same time, my first sub box I made for my old car was OK but not as good as some of the ones you can buy... LOL :P

It just seems that $400 is a lot of money for just the box. (Old one for $300 was a better price :P ) but if any one knows what has been changed and has some pics maby I can understand what the extra $100 is for :-P

Cheers guys!

Hi Peekay

Thanks for the sugestion, I'll have a look into that :D

Also if any one else has any more info on the new box design please could you post some more info... pics, whats changed..etc..etc :-)

Many thanks once again guys :P

Hay Donza

I have not seen the new box yet... do you know where I can find out what has changed and see some pictures?

I was thinking of making my own box but want it to look good at the same time, my first sub box I made for my old car was OK but not as good as some of the ones you can buy... LOL :P

It just seems that $400 is a lot of money for just the box. (Old one for $300 was a better price :P ) but if any one knows what has been changed and has some pics maby I can understand what the extra $100 is for :-P

Cheers guys!

Fudgebottom:

PM me your email address, and I will send the pictures that Dave sent me.

If you look closely you can see the difference between the new design and the original box (as you can see in Silvabullits garage).

Cheers.

Scott.

Thanks for the reply Donza :D

Hear is the list of changes of any one else that would like them :-)

1. The new box is moulded straight off the Corolla, however the first

version consisted of an mdf back with fibreglass sides, so it wasn't an

exact fit like the new box is.

2. Because the new box takes up the entire space, it is now exactly 1

cubic foot, which allows you to put any 12" sub in it and still get

optimum sound quality. The old box was 0.8 cubic foot, which meant that

you could only use 10" subs or very few 12" subs.

3. The front of the new box also moulds completely into the shape of the

car, it looks like it is from the factory.

The price of these boxes is $399 (carpeted) OR $499 (Vinal)

Enjoy!

FB

post-1423-1138678316_thumb.jpg

post-1423-1138678325_thumb.jpg

post-1423-1138678333_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Giving this thread a bump!

Was just wondering a few things:

Does the new box still require a false floor to make use of the compartment with the tools? I'd like to retain this function.

Is the new box removable just as quickly as the old?

Does the new box allow a full seat recline?

Finally.... any likely discount for a group buy?

Thanks!

Giving this thread a bump!

Was just wondering a few things:

Does the new box still require a false floor to make use of the compartment with the tools? I'd like to retain this function.

Is the new box removable just as quickly as the old?

Does the new box allow a full seat recline?

Finally.... any likely discount for a group buy?

Thanks!

I have the new one in my car, very impressed.

I have a false floor in mine already, so I cannot say for sure if you would definately need one, however I am going to have to change my design slightly to allow exactly what you have mentioned, being able to get into your tools, etc.

Seat cannot recline full amount with the box in.

Oh and is very easy to remove.

Scott.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the seat recline function was going to be fixed with the new version of the box?

How secure is the box? What secures it? Is it going to come loose with a little 'spirited' cornering?

Apologies for all the questions.....

• 8 months later...

What you will find with the box size is that depending on the actual sub you use, will depend on what sort of sound it produces, then match it up with the sizr box you need.

Contrary to popular myth, not all subs give massive dB with low end bass....

I run a single 12" Earthquake in a box a little over a cubic foot, giving me a 'tighter' bass sound and awesome kick (particularly noticable during high volume Linkin Park sessions) however, the real bottom end bass (under 100hz) I tend to miss out on.

If your looking for real loud and real low bass, then you will need a larger box and a sub with more power.

I just cut my box down a few weeks ago from a 2.5 cuFt where I did have a better doof doof sound....

Although I haven't yet heard this particular box of Silva's, although I have seen it with my own eyes (finally :) ) I am sure that it will give you a great sound and at $300 for a custom box, you can't go wrong....

NB: with regards to the amp location...I had made myself a mount for my amp which was located under the rear floor panel, in place of that little storage tray next to the spare. However, due to the design of this particular box that Silvabullit has presented, it would not be a suitable option.

My suggestions are either under the front seats, or make a custom amp rack on the opposite side of the boot (if you are running a single sub) as you won't need much space. Unfortunatly I can advise that you will NOT be able to mount the amp under the floor panel above the spare... :(

Cheers

Azz

Hey guys sorry about bumping an old thread... but I was just wondering why you can't install an amp underneath the rear floor panel, in place of that little storage tray next to the spare with this setup, it looks like u can still access it to hav the amp there, isnt it???

Also how is this box secured to the car???

Thanks in advance guys...

Cheers,

Jared :)

Edited by grima88

• 1 year later...
Looking for a sub box that doesn't take up all your boot space? Well mate of mine has designed a sub box for a 12 inch sub that fits neatly in the boot without taking up all of your boot space. If you're interested in buying one they are $300 and consist of a fibreglass and mdf construction to make it very light. Most of the weight in it is the sub itself. You can still access your spare tyre easily and the box is easily mounted.

hey dude thats pretty neat..... luv the idea.... the only problem is that im in South Africa. I Have a Toyota RunX and this is ideal for me when it comes to boot space. would it be possible for you to hook up up with the design or maybe how its built with the dimensions so i can get custom built for my car....

let me know!!!! Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

yo armstrong, couple years back when i first saw sb's sub box, i liked it so much i went and built one of my own.

heres a few pics of the build..

after several layers of masking tape and foil to ensure that the resin doesnt soak into my cars interior, i laid out several layers of fibreglass and resin to create the shell for the back. thinking back, it may have been smarter to mould the fibreglass with mdf on the base... which i had prepared but for some reason i didnt end up using it.. stupid me.

DSC00181.jpg

after making a sub ring to suit my sub, i mounted it using some mdf offcuts

DSC00183.jpg

used a smaller sub so i can save enoughspace to fully recline the rear seats as well as leave enough boot space for the pram.

DSC00184.jpg

stretched some spare fabric (thin.. kinda like bedsheet material) and glued it into place, then layed a weight in the centre to keep it tight like a tiger while it dried.

DSC00186.jpg

after that step i laid several layers of fibreglass over the fabric. (i did NOT FIBREGLAss the centre where i was going to cut the fabric to fit the sub.

got a bit anxious so after i had finished this step so i test fitted the sub.

DSCF1112.jpg

layed bodyfiller over the top to ensure it was extra stiff.. added weight to the box but it was for the greatergood. i could have chosen to smooth it completely to paint it, but instead i chose to coat it with carpet.

DSC00207.jpg

this was kind of an afterthought, but i fitted this in the back for convenience

DSCF1116s.jpg

fin.

DSCF1113.jpg

this is definately something you can do yourself. you can go to autobarn and check out the commodore custom moulded sub boxes and find that they laid a bit of mdf in the base of the box to help distribute weight. my sub box doesnt stand freely on its own so if i didnt secure it properly, it would simply fall over. so its important to think about weight distribution or securing the sub using screws or some other method.. whichever works best for you.

my guess is you save 50-100 by doing it yourself (provided you dont make a mistake and redo everything from scratch)

Edited by J_J