Sat Nav v15 Question

Hazyman

I just got it 2 days ago, work perfectly so far. but i didn't find the speed camera function.

Whereis told me that this version does have speed camera infomations, but for the Toyota edition, it may need to activate some "UNIT" things, like hardware? but dealer told me this version has no this function.very confused.... does anyone knows?

I just got it 2 days ago, work perfectly so far. but i didn't find the speed camera function.

Whereis told me that this version does have speed camera infomations, but for the Toyota edition, it may need to activate some "UNIT" things, like hardware? but dealer told me this version has no this function.very confused.... does anyone knows?

I know.

No speed camera function.

Whereis did include camera's in ver.15 but NOT for Toyota (Denso) version.

Sorry (well,i am)

I know.

Sorry (well,i am)

thank you Cro

I know.

Sorry (well,i am)

thank you Cro

After purchasing the $400 upgrade and discovering it didn't work, I have confirmed with Toyota, Denso and Whereis that the hardware supports Speed & Traffic Camera display, but Toyota has soft disabled it...... something about legal issues etc. :angry:

Local dealer suggested I email Toyota Customer Experience and complain - maybe if they get enough noise they may provide a solution.

Cheers

Soft disable means there is data and Toyota not displaying it???

I am sure there is a way around it?

I wonder new owners are kind enough to share a copy of the version 15. I have a copy of version 14 from someone copy the disc onto a DVD+R DL.

I am willing to do the copying when someone lend it to me for a few minutes...

No other GPS manufacture seems to care about showing “Speed & Traffic Camera”, I don’t see would Toyota would? Especially if Whereis is allowed to include it in its data?

I wouldn’t mind getting a hold of version 15 also. Like Taka, I am willing to do the copying also.

Cheers.

I wonder new owners are kind enough to share a copy of the version 15. I have a copy of version 14 from someone copy the disc onto a DVD+R DL.

Love to provide a copy - but I'd be hunted down ...... :lol:

The upgrade costs $404 delivered (see http://poweredby.whereis.com ) - it arrived next day (Melbourne).

NOTE: Whereis confirmed that V14 discs have speed & red light camera data as well.

Personally, unless you needed the absolute latest maps there's not much value to be had. Although V15 also has speed limit data - which Toyota also can't display...... :angry:

In the mean time:

1. Whereis has kindly agreed to provide a refund

2. Toyota has confirmed that it is disabled by them

3. Denso has confirmed that the units running Denso firmware will be able to use the speed & red light camera data (cant get them to re-flash the unit tho - I even offered to pay)

4. I have purchased a Garmin nuvi 255 GPS which aside form the cables is pretty good and has the additional benefit of TMC for less than the cost of teh upgrade.

Best bet is to email toyota - customerexperience@toyota.com.au and maybe they'll listen - not too hopefult tho.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
4. I have purchased a Garmin nuvi 255 GPS which aside form the cables is pretty good and has the additional benefit of TMC for less than the cost of teh upgrade.

I don't know why anyone would by an expensive in dash unit these days when portable GPS units are so cheap and offer superior features as far as the navigation is concerned such as:

1. Cheaper map upgrades (or free upgrades if you're inclined to obtain a copy illegally)
  2. Regular firmware upgrades.
  3. RDS-TMC traffic data for Brisbane, Melbourne & Sydney.
  4. Redlight and speed camera locations. Most vendors offer updates, and some even offer live updates for mobile cameras.
  5. Speed limits and warnings on some maps.
  6. Ability to take it with you to another car.
  7. Ability to make user corrections to maps such as with TomTom's Mapshare

In order to hide the cables I had an extra 12volt socket fitted under the dash for $160 so that the cabling runs hidden and not across the dash (See pictures below). Granted, and in-dash unit is much neater but you loose a lot of functionality. There are that many alternative mount kits for GPS units these days you can pretty much put it wherever you want if you don't like it sitting on the window.

post-11798-1233969491_thumb.jpg post-11798-1233969504_thumb.jpg

If you want the flash double din stereo and blue tooth for your phone, then just buy a head unit from pioneer, alpine or kenwood (+ blue tooth module if required). Should be able to get a setup for under $2500 including GPS and you have a far more capable setup for far less than the $4000 Toyota Satnav option.

I don't know why anyone would by an expensive in dash unit these days when portable GPS units are so cheap and offer superior features as far as the navigation is concerned such as:

Ok I will be on the negative team and speak from experience and as a retailer and techo.

1. Cheaper map upgrades (or free upgrades if you're inclined to obtain a copy illegally)....torrents but no one uses them right!
  2. Regular firmware upgrades. Why? Do you have problem with is operation as a GPS AND THE BACK BONE OF HOW IT WORKS?
  3. RDS-TMC traffic data for Brisbane, Melbourne & Sydney. Good point if it worries you
  4. Redlight and speed camera locations. Most vendors offer updates, and some even offer live updates for mobile cameras. It would be a Nice have
  5. Speed limits and warnings on some maps. True
  6. Ability to take it with you to another car.......This is the biggest problem besides being an eye saw on the dash......The thieves love them they even look for the suction cap marks on the glass as you did not want to take your GPS shopping with you did you? Its under the seat?? Don't leave it in sight it will go! And guess what it not insured either!!!or not worth insuring
  7. Ability to make user corrections to maps such as with TomTom's Mapshare Who Cares leave it to the pros

By the way honey do you know where we are now? and where we are going too, no I left the dam GPS at home again!!!

Sorry just had some very very bad experiences not to mention my customers and friends.... I'm sure you know some one?

Moral of the story don't leave them on display and make sure you security lock them etc.....it doesn't guarantee you'll get them back either, also do you know how to get Home from here? Ask the thief hes got our GPS dear!!!

The GPS IN the grande dosn't have all the bells and whistles of the cheap mass produced items because its designed to work for the next 10 years or so your portable GPS WONT GO CLOSE FOR LONGEVITY

Also one thing the STD Grande GPS does that no portable one will ever do is use dead reckoning, work extremely quickly at start up and work in tunnels because its connected to a speed trigger regardless if the GPS can see the sky or not! Not that many of need help in tunnels but it sound and looks better than searching for satellites or poor reception or a dull screen you cant use because of no GPS reception.

Any one else with a Grande? seen the GPS not ready to display as you start the car????? No because its always located....

We all want more I know but the Grande GPS has a lot of positives in my books.

LARGEST DISPLAY

HARD TO STEEL

ALWAYS IN THE CAR READY TO GO

DEAD RECKONING

QUALITY AND LONGEVITY

NEAT/INTEGRATED

GOOD PRICE MAPPING :rolleyes:

I did exactly what you did with your installation over 3 years ago and they took it one year....... I was lucky they did not take more and do more damage than they did + break a window as well....

Edited by PC XT

I have used all the options of satnav mentioned above and they all have some advantage over each other.

In my KX-R, I had a portable unit. I had originally bought this for use in hire cars outside of Perth, but ended up using it at home as well, for the bluetooth and correct speedo reading mainly.

In the KX-R, I now have a Kenwood dvd player with bluetooth and plug-in integrated satnav.

I also have a Grande.

The advantages of each system are:

1. Grande. Easiest to use because of the separate buttons and knobs; you don't need to go through menus to get what you want. It also has the biggest display and is integrated into the dash much better than anything aftermarket. Phone and navigation mutes the stereo.

2. Kenwood. The system has much better sound than the Grande and more features. It uses Garmin navigation, so it has all the features on the Garmin portable units but with a bigger screen. Phone and navigation mutes the stereo.

3. Portable. Cheaper.

The disadvantages of each system are:

1. Grande. Expensive to update maps. Map features disabled by Toyota. Expensive adaptor needed for Ipod and not available, I think, for USB.

2. Kenwood. Expensive to buy. Double DIN, so needs adaptors to fit Toyota hole.

3. Small screen. Too far away when mounted on windscreen of Kluger; fine on my last car. Thief magnet. Does not look integrated. Does not mute stereo for phone or navigation.

The 2 systems offered by Toyota for non-Grande Klugers are not worth mentioning.

Also, Alpine are now selling their portable navigation unit in Australia which slots into some of their head units. This would give you the advantage of an in dash unit and a portable unit.

Nothing looks as well integrated or will be as easy to operate as the Grande system.

Also, Alpine are now selling their portable navigation unit in Australia which slots into some of their head units. This would give you the advantage of an in dash unit and a portable unit.

Nothing looks as well integrated or will be as easy to operate as the Grande system.

Unfortunately judging by the Alpine Owner's Manual the unit still requires a window mount and the features are pretty limited and basic when compared to other portable units in the same price range ($849RRP).

Being able to connect the navigation system through the head unit is nice though, but for the total price a dedicated in dash unit would probably be marginally more. If you wanted the same look and didn't need the portability you could hide the alpine under the dash somewhere as it will operate through the touch screen of the head unit.

Unfortunately judging by the Alpine Owner's Manual the unit still requires a window mount and the features are pretty limited and basic when compared to other portable units in the same price range ($849RRP).

Being able to connect the navigation system through the head unit is nice though, but for the total price a dedicated in dash unit would probably be marginally more. If you wanted the same look and didn't need the portability you could hide the alpine under the dash somewhere as it will operate through the touch screen of the head unit.

I don't know what features the Alpine nav had, but it goes inside the head unit, behind the screen. The window mount is for using it in other cars without the Alpine head unit.

One thing I forgot to mention that is a disadvantage in the Grande navigation. There is no current speed display. The last long trip I did in the Grande, I took the portable unit along so that I could check my speed, as everyone with a Kluger knows the speedo is ridiculously optamistic, and set the cruise correctly.

• 3 months later...

Hint for old players, you can save a couple of Bucks this time round you only need a Single Sided DVD+R.....NOT THE DUAL LAYER :rolleyes: That is all :yahoo:

Hint for old players, you can save a couple of Bucks this time round you only need a Single Sided DVD+R.....NOT THE DUAL LAYER :rolleyes: That is all :yahoo:

Don't just tease us like that!! I have Googled but still can't find any torrent for Version 15. Care to PM link??

Don't just tease us like that!! I have Googled but still can't find any torrent for Version 15. Care to PM link??

Same here, have Googled but cannot find v.15

Edited by Cookie