Wrong turn

BanHien

Last Wednesday (14-Jan), on the way home from work, I used the map to guide me from Tullamarine to Digital Camera Warehouse (367 High St, Northcote VIC 3070) using no toll option. The map guided me around Tullamarine Freeway, exit then from Arthurton Road to Hight street and left turn at the intersecton. After that, it told me to go further and "Your destination at the right hand side, the route guidance now finish..." (with full destination address on the screen). It turned out another side of the road are all even numbers and they are all over 500. I had to make an U turn and get to the right address as shown in the following map.

maps.png

Very interesting

BH

My car: Silver Presara

I haven't come across any issues yet with my iGO8 running the V14 (R14) Whereis maps. If it did stuff up though (nothing serious like on the other side of town), I guess I would just appreciate the fact that it was able to at least get me towards where I needed to go. When you think about it, there is a lot of road in there that needs to be mapped. I just find it quite impressive how it can navigate you to destinations with barely any problems (in most cases).

It could also be a result of the random building numbering you find in some areas around Melbourne.

I've often gone hunting along for say number 150, and i will find the numbers go 146, 148, 152, 154... then find number 150 about 1km back <_<

Happens so often it amazes me that a GPS can find anything!

In any mapping solution (google maps, tomtom GPS, navman, garmin, route66) you'll find that street numbers are only approximate. Which means they take a bit of an educated guess sometimes where street numbers are, majority of the time they get these reasonably correct, sometimes however, not at all. Unfortunately for you, this is one of those sometimes.

My advice is to not trust these things entirely and actually pay attention to whats going on around you and what is around you rather than trusting these things to put you on the spot.

I personally rely on the good old fashion street directory even though I work with GPS mapping for a living, it's plain and simple and you only have yourself to blame if you get lost.

The only guarentee you'll get is that the street is where they say it is. :)

I'll also take the opportunity to make an impassioned plea to you all: PLEASE PLEASE don't play with these things while you're driving, they'll get you where you're going but its up to you to make sure you get there in one piece. Drive safe guys.