Engine Replacement

SportyAsh

Hi

i need to replace my 2AZ-Fe engine from a Toyota Camry '04 Sportivo (5 Speed Man) due to a few problems (Cracked & Warped Head, pistons etc). Toyota have recommended a new engine.

Can i replace my 2AZ with a 2GR? Or i am better to stick with the 2AZ replacement? if anyone else has any other ideas, i would interested to hear them as well

Your thoughts and comments are welcome.

Well, the cost factor the 2AZ would be the best replacement, or if you want a V6 I think you would have to go with the 1MZ, but I am not sure if the transmission is the same, I don’t think it is but maybe someone else can confirm.

The price of a 2GR would be prohibitive, not to mention if it would fit, by the time you changed it, it would be cheaper to buy another car.

Edited by mbruce

I'd vote 1MZ, but your looking at a LOT of $ for the labor. You'll need Tranny, engine harness, engine mounts, electronics, etc.

May be better off swapping the 2AZ and adding a TRD Supercharger or a turbo kit.

2GR would be fun... cost an absolute stack. They possibly have better fuel consumption than the 1MZs I'd imagine. Gen 6 Camrys and Aurions share the same chassis so I don't see why it should be a problem to install a 2GR.

You'd probably wanna find the same engine or find out what the price is compared to getting another car? Possibly ex-lease ones coming out cheap...

2004 camrys are gen 5 (or 5.5) and probably wouldnt be compatible with a 2gr-fe.

if you want to do something different, get your hands on one of the vvti 1mz's or even a 3mz.

does anyone know where to get decent 2nd hand engines or even new for a reasonable price in Brisbane?

i have tried a couple of places but some are asking ridiculous prices

the other engine fell through due to some problems with water in the oil. :angry:

Edited by SportyAsh