96 camry v6 exhorst help

sikwitit

• 2 weeks later...
hey toc i want to get a muffler on the cam its a v6 auto should i get a full exhorst system or just a muffler tip?

i have seen vids of cams with full systems and they sound sick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv3qJXOgb6Q) is is it betta to just get a tip.

sean

Heilsan,

I have a full exhaust mod from the headers down. Got it done at Windsor Exhaust (who are in Richmond, NSW) and it was $520. Sounds awesome, especially when you give it a boot full. But even better than that, there was a noticeable increase in power. I am yet to dyno the car, but when I do, I'll definitely let folks know just how she's pulling given the only mods are a K&N Pod and the Exhaust system. Will be interesting to see what increase there is, if any, over the standard 185hp of the stock 3VZ-FE setup.

Cheers

Dirk

Did you just say you got HEADERS and the exhaust for $520??? I'm guessing it's only the exhaust... I have been quoted around 900-1k for headers made and installed so I wouldn't think that all was done for that price.

Most headers for a V6 are custom made, especially ours. These would need to be tuned to the right length and made as needed (normally mandrel bent).

Edited by Whip Cracker

• 2 weeks later...
Did you just say you got HEADERS and the exhaust for $520??? I'm guessing it's only the exhaust... I have been quoted around 900-1k for headers made and installed so I wouldn't think that all was done for that price.

Most headers for a V6 are custom made, especially ours. These would need to be tuned to the right length and made as needed (normally mandrel bent).

Absolutely pointless spending the extra money on a tuned-length exhaust for an engine like yours (little valve overlap and an economy head). All the extractors should be there to do is help expel exhaust gases a bit.

so i should get just a muffler tip on the camry?

Cat-back system is your best bet. You will need a 2.5" system, a single hot-dog styled resonator and a straight through muffler. Should cost you around the $500 mark, give you a slightly increase in power and improve your exhaust note significantly.

I still stand by my custom Y pipe as a first exhaust upgrade as the stock one IS very restrictive. No point really expanding everything else if the part after the headers are going to hold you up...