Centre Console Cover Problem

PaulMT

As the photo points to This cover is not opening fully because I think a pen has slipped down under and is blocking the path the cover opens into.

I have had a look with a torch but I can't see the obstruction though when it hits on the cover opening it sounds like a pen.

Anyone got directions on how I get the console itself open or off to access this area so I can clear the pen?

Thanks

sportivo_interior618.jpg

post-7087-1234564692_thumb.jpg

As the photo points to This cover is not opening fully because I think a pen has slipped down under and is blocking the path the cover opens into.

I have had a look with a torch but I can't see the obstruction though when it hits on the cover opening it sounds like a pen.

Anyone got directions on how I get the console itself open or off to access this area so I can clear the pen?

Thanks

sportivo_interior618.jpg

He he he, lol. Sorry to laugh mate but the exact thing happened to me. But it was when i was hungover with a pkt of quickeze fell and would jamm the consol flap. Mate it is a pain in butt. I got my missess tweezes and just open the consol a little and just kept trying and trying till i got it.

Im warning you now though, take a patience pill before you start. Within that 40mins, i reckon probably yelled a thousand sh**ts and farks. The only thing that goes in their now is drinks.

He He good luck

He he he, lol. Sorry to laugh mate but the exact thing happened to me. But it was when i was hungover with a pkt of quickeze fell and would jamm the consol flap. Mate it is a pain in butt. I got my missess tweezes and just open the consol a little and just kept trying and trying till i got it.

Im warning you now though, take a patience pill before you start. Within that 40mins, i reckon probably yelled a thousand sh**ts and farks. The only thing that goes in their now is drinks.

He He good luck

Haha glad your enjoying my pain mate! I already have done a 1000 &*^^*%^$ and *(^T*^%$% not to mention &%^$*%*#!!!

I can't even see the bloody thing or reach it with tweezers.

Unless someone has a quick easy method of removing the whole console it will be off to Toyota Dealer on Monday who I suspect will sting me big time and actually get the last laugh - grrrr!

Thanks BONDIE

Mine jams up on its own every so often. You would be pressing at it non stop and it would just go nowhere. Narrowed the issue down to the mechanism that controls the lock on it and the little plastic tabs that are on the inside. I will take some photos to show you.

Edit: Now this first issue is probably not your problem because you mentioned that you probably have a pen stuck in there. My second set of photos should help out with that. But it is not jammed with a pen and you are having the issue I get, then these photos will show the problem areas. I'm never good with written instructions, but I will try.

Firstly, try to open it like shown in my first photo. Push gently with your index finger, then forcefully with your thumb. It it manages to release it and you find nothing blocking it, then inspect to ensure the surface is smooth inside as shown in photo 2. If not, you will need to pull the console out and make sure it is smooth from behind like photo 3 and not misaligned like photo 4. Then you just need to spray some kind of lubricant (silicone spray works well) into the channels shown on photo 2 as you can see the plastic tabs which slide along them in photo 5.

If everything appeared aligned when you had a look in the space shown in photo 2, you can simply just spray some lubricant in there without removing the console and saving a little bit of time and effort.

dsc03415lq3.th.jpg dsc03422po9.th.jpg dsc03428zf1.th.jpg dsc03429jh9.th.jpg dsc03433jg7.th.jpg

Or you can do the following, and while you are at it, spray some lubricant in the channels I mentioned earlier. Just remove the 4 screws as shown then everything will come out.

dsc03439pj4.th.jpg dsc03440re3.th.jpg dsc03442vf4.th.jpg dsc03443rq4.th.jpg

Had that happen to me, on the 3rd day after delivery.

I didnt want to break anything, so took it into the dealer, and they fixed it in 5 mins and didn't charge.

Just dont break the cover, apparently its worth quite a few $$$'s

Its happened to me a few times too.

Best thing is to take console out & fix it that way - you'll get no where trying from the top.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I dropped into my Toyota branch today and they immediately took the car "around the back" and removed the console and offending blockage which was, not one, not two but three pens!

They also replaced a broken front drivers floor mat hold down - all done for FREE! Good on ya Toyota :-)

I have no idea how the pens got there, oh they are mine, other than from the back pocket where the 12v auxiliary is as I do keep pens there from time to time when I am busy answering the phone etc..

Anyway for future reference 2 pens doesn't block the cover but three does hahaha