4wd Traction

BigHeavyVehicle

OK, I admit to borrowing Mrs Kluger's car to take it for a spin in the wet. With rain so rare in Sydney, I just had to take the opportunity to check the full travel of the accelerator and the 4wd system. How good is the grip!! No wheelspin, no beepin' traction control warnings (it WAS "on"), just whoosh and we're off in a BIG hurry. So far the car has proven itself in the dry; highway, city, 100's of kilometers of corrugated dirt and bulldust out near the Darling River, a little bit of genuine off road down near the Murray River, and tracks in the Deua National Park. Now for the wet. The grip reminds me of my old Audi quattro - way beyond what you think sheer physics would allow. :whistling:

OK, I admit to borrowing Mrs Kluger's car to take it for a spin in the wet. With rain so rare in Sydney, I just had to take the opportunity to check the full travel of the accelerator and the 4wd system. How good is the grip!! No wheelspin, no beepin' traction control warnings (it WAS "on"), just whoosh and we're off in a BIG hurry. So far the car has proven itself in the dry; highway, city, 100's of kilometers of corrugated dirt and bulldust out near the Darling River, a little bit of genuine off road down near the Murray River, and tracks in the Deua National Park. Now for the wet. The grip reminds me of my old Audi quattro - way beyond what you think sheer physics would allow. :whistling:

I'm glade you enjoyed it, take it on soft sand and you will hear it beep its head off if you don't disable the traction control.....But I was surprised even in this mode for such a big car it hauls in any condition what will the next 20 years in automotive engineering bring for us :rolleyes:

Well, not so good in my experience, as far as the wheel spin.

During the Sydney down pour last weekend, on few occasions, the fast start resulted in a very brief spin, and that with my new Toyos on the front.

Most likely it was the rear loosing it since old Bs on the back have little groove left.

How do you disable traction control - I see no button for that in my wife's Grande.

By the way, as for real gripping, I recommend Magna/Verada 4wd - a constant 50/50 form Lancer Evo 5 or 6 - and no electronics to interfere.

Well, not so good in my experience, as far as the wheel spin.

During the Sydney down pour last weekend, on few occasions, the fast start resulted in a very brief spin, and that with my new Toyos on the front.

Most likely it was the rear loosing it since old Bs on the back have little groove left.

Just think of the money you saved with the new tyres the B's are $485.00ea so I was told on the weekend and there are none in the country! Not that I care yet I try and never mix and match Tyres on a AWD's.....Keep them all the same its a bit hard on the Kluger at $500 a corner not as bad as a guys I was talking to at a party on the weekend.....It is $2,200.00/Corner for his X5 FITTED with 22" w@nker wheels as he said, I told him to sell the car when it comes time to replace the tyres