Do I Need A New Headunit?

iVaz

Hey All,

Was just wondering, in my Corolla Ascent 2008 Sedan, do I need a new headunit, am I able to install a subwoofer? without changes to the headunit?

Or does the factory headunit have enough plugs in the back?

I have a 2005 corolla and i needed a new head unit for a sub, most stock head units dont come with input for a sub, so yea you most probbly need a new one, go and talk to your local autobarn, supercheap etc and ask them about it, for best results get a monoblock amp with it too :D sounds great, i had a mate who soldered together one of the speaker wires to his sub....worst idea ever..

but yea hope that helps :D

most stock head units dont come with input for a sub,

Dammit, not even the newest Corolla come with something like that?

I can't afford a headunit, nor can i find a cheap one thats teh same size as the current one.

Most stock headunits don't have provision for subs because car manufacturers don't want you mixing aftermarket and factory components - they want you to option-up to the premium sound package when you buy the car. Obviously speakers (being relatively universal) are hard to stop people changing, but subs are a little more exclusive. Plus, making provision for subs (ie RMS pre-outs etc) is more expensive, and 90% of buyers aren't going to even touch the sound system, so therefore there's no need.

On the odd occasion you'll come across a car which has provision stock, but that'll either be because a) it's an expensive car which comes with a sub as part of the sound system (Merc, Lexus, BMW, HSV etc), or B) it's a cheap-**** Korean brand or something and they've just shoved in an aftermarket headunit instead of spending R&D money developing an in-house or third-party system.

I can't afford a headunit, nor can i find a cheap one thats teh same size as the current one.

Then dont look for one the same size, get a single din HU (i think i saw a cheap sony mp3 for like 120 at supercheap) and the space at the bottom ends up being a pocket or swap it to a cup holder/cd draw!

You'll need an RCA line converter, around $100 from JB Hi Fi...

I installed one in my friends car and have had no issues...

And this should solve my issues? and not buy a new head unit RIGHT?

Yes, this allows you to keep the standard headunit and converts the speaker wires into RCA pre outs to run to your amps, and then from your amps to the speakers and subwoofer...

It can be set up to run speakers alone, subwoofers alone or both combined...

JB Hi Fi at Westfield Miranda was where I bought mine from... Just can't remember the brand name of it... Model number was SLC-4 so that should help you out...

Yes, this allows you to keep the standard headunit and converts the speaker wires into RCA pre outs to run to your amps, and then from your amps to the speakers and subwoofer...

JB Hi Fi at Westfield Miranda was where I bought mine from... Just can't remember the brand name of it... Model number was SLC-4 so that should help you out...

They 100 Bucks though --" that's a killer to my budget.

BTW, could you possibly give me a link? Because all the RCA converters I see are ALL UNDER $100AUD, so I think I'm looking at the wrong thing...

This is exactly what you need to do it. Although the converter I used was about $30 from Jaycar about 4 years ago

Rolla Boy, the rca line converter you suggested ran fine? How was the quality?

I just asked one of my mates and he said he's using a JL Audio one (which is quite expensive.. :( but no doubt good quality)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JL-AUDIO-CLEANSWEEP...tem140300485615

I don't want a new head unit but I love my bass. If the one you used has decent quality and enough to run one or two 12" subs (most likely one) + amp, then I'll get that! =)

EDIT: What about this? Probably not worth it?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RCA-Car-4-Channel-L...p3286.m20.l1116

Cheers

Peter

Edited by dwee.

If your budget is tight, don't forget to check out whats for sale second hand as run-of-the-mill audio gear doesn't hold value very well. Might be able to pick up a decent few year old model for under $100.

Hey All,

Was just wondering, in my Corolla Ascent 2008 Sedan, do I need a new headunit, am I able to install a subwoofer? without changes to the headunit?

What a waste of time this thread is, u say u can't afford 100 bucks don't waste peoples time when u cant even afford that. btw how on earth did u afford a current corolla??

Hey All,

What a waste of time this thread is, u say u can't afford 100 bucks don't waste peoples time when u cant even afford that. btw how on earth did u afford a current corolla??

Made my parents pay for it, but they won't pay for a sound system for me.

99% sure you can get the converter for like 16 bucks from autobarn.

your ears wont know the difference between 16 and 100.

edit - are you in sydney? just so happens im not using mine anymore?!

Edited by J_J

99% sure you can get the converter for like 16 bucks from autobarn.

your ears wont know the difference between 16 and 100.

Thanks heaps J_J

What EXACTLY do I ask for at Autobarn?

Rolla Boy, the rca line converter you suggested ran fine? How was the quality?

I just asked one of my mates and he said he's using a JL Audio one (which is quite expensive.. :( but no doubt good quality)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JL-AUDIO-CLEANSWEEP...tem140300485615

I don't want a new head unit but I love my bass. If the one you used has decent quality and enough to run one or two 12" subs (most likely one) + amp, then I'll get that! =)

EDIT: What about this? Probably not worth it?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RCA-Car-4-Channel-L...p3286.m20.l1116

Cheers

Peter

Peter, everything runs fine and the quality is great...

Running amps for speakers and single 12 inch sub...

Stock speakers sounded pretty poor but now they're being run off the amp and tuned by me they sound 100 times better, everyone thats been in the car agrees with me on that one...

The sub is being run by a mono block amp and needed to be turned down less than half as it was way too bassy, car or system had no troubles running at all :) :) :) ...

mine cost less than $20 and it sent audio through to 2 amps, 1 for my kicker, the other amp was for the RF punch splits.

i no longer need the converter coz i have dvd HU in the car now.

the 1 i got is basically the same as the more expensive versions... you can tune the L and R sides, and you connect 4 wires to the left and right - and + speaker wires. thats all you do!

mine cost less than $20 and it sent audio through to 2 amps, 1 for my kicker, the other amp was for the RF punch splits.

i no longer need the converter coz i have dvd HU in the car now.

the 1 i got is basically the same as the more expensive versions... you can tune the L and R sides, and you connect 4 wires to the left and right - and + speaker wires. thats all you do!

Humm, where abouts you live? Melbourne?

I'll probably jsut buy the converter from you, and possibly ask more questions.

sorry mate im in sydney.

if youre in a real rush, then go get the same thing at autobarn. if you got a spare 20 in your pocket you can get this from autobarn and a macflurry on the way home. (lets not forget you still need an amp ($150+)to power the sub($2-400), which should ideally be boxed.. and lets also not forget the wiring kit which is 40-60 bucks for the cheap stuff. you arent really saving much by spending that much on some bass.. but at least you have the convenience of the stock head unit which would otherwise dig anything from 200-2000 bucks on an aftermarket headunit with all the bells n whistles..

AERPRO

AP 304

Speaker to Line Level Converter

The audio level converter is used to convert from speaker line to RCA

connection. Level adjustment control, gold plated RCA sockets.

Converts speaker level audio to line level (RCA) connections. 10-80dB attenuation. 30 watts/channel maximum. 62mm W x 90mm L x 27mm D. Blister packed.

Barcode: 9317114867827

AP304.jpg

Edited by J_J

sorry mate im in sydney.

if youre in a real rush, then go get the same thing at autobarn. if you got a spare 20 in your pocket you can get this from autobarn and a macflurry on the way home. (lets not forget you still need an amp ($150+)to power the sub($2-400), which should ideally be boxed.. and lets also not forget the wiring kit which is 40-60 bucks for the cheap stuff. you arent really saving much by spending that much on some bass.. but at least you have the convenience of the stock head unit which would otherwise dig anything from 200-2000 bucks on an aftermarket headunit with all the bells n whistles..

AERPRO

AP 304

Speaker to Line Level Converter

The audio level converter is used to convert from speaker line to RCA

connection. Level adjustment control, gold plated RCA sockets.

Converts speaker level audio to line level (RCA) connections. 10-80dB attenuation. 30 watts/channel maximum. 62mm W x 90mm L x 27mm D. Blister packed.

Barcode: 9317114867827

AP304.jpg

Hey J_J Thanks, was jsut wondering, do i just go to like strathfield, and ask them to install that? or can a local garage fixer person do it?