Do You Still Self-maintain Your Car?

dirzsignature

Hi all,

My name is Yudhi Hartono and I am a fourth year industrial design student from the University of New South Wales. I am currently planning to design a automotive tool cabinet for one of my uni-project. My market would be the young car owners (25-35 y.o) and this cabinet will be used to store automotive-related stuff such as; hand tools, engine oil, car wash detergent, tyres, etc..

However I need to ask a question to you guys in order to see if this product has a market for it. For those of you in the 25- 35 y.o age bracket, do yo still perform some small regular car maintenance by yourself? or do you simply use your car and only bring it to the a mechanic/dealership when the scheduled maintenance due?

And also, would you spend your money to buy a cabinet that is made out of plastic or you rather get the metal cabinet?

Any replies will be appreciated.

Regards,

Yudhi

Hi mate...

i would prefer metal cabinet if i were to house car tools for their durability...

and i do minor service for my Yaris such as oil changes as well as my oribiter and car care products...

I think many small cabinets/cases within a larger cabinet is the way to go...

While i like the idea of being able to store it all in one location, such as the shed... i would liek to be able to remove the smaller cabinets if i needed to go "off site" for a job, say to a friends place... rather than having to take the entire thing with me.

good luck with it though... and keep us all posted.

• 7 months later...

Not a bad idea, I like the suggestions of the smaller "cabinets" (which judging by the description it is a cabinet drawer that doubles as a tool box). Metal would be the preferred choice; however, high strength plastic means a lighter product if you are going to carry individual compartments with you.

I think buddy, you may have two products on your hands right here. Metal (permanent storage) or High Strength Plastic (removable and portable). Best of luck, I hope you turn these into two business ideas and make lots of ca$h. B)