Earth Hour

J e r e M y

I turn off every single appliance in the house except laptop and fridge and then went out for a drive around the mountains. Does that even out my green house emissions ?????

hahaha..i think quite alot of ppl supported earth hour..

but the prob is when they all switched off the lights n stuff..they all decided to go out for a drive xD

when i went out at 8.30pm..the small road outside my house was packed n when i went up to the park which overlooks the whole perth city..it was fking packed to the max! xD

so i guess earth hour = success but on the other hand pollution fail xD

i wonder how much power would be saved if the population of australias electricty cut out for 15 seconds...

not a you can turn it off if you want, but a forced cut-out haha. i know that this cannot happen.

Edited by BlackKnight

i wonder how much power would be saved if the population of australias electricty cut out for 15 seconds...

not a you can turn it off if you want, but a forced cut-out haha. i know that this cannot happen.

poor servers.. haha...

I was at a friend's house to celebrate her daughter's 4th birthday. obviously, the lights were still on. Some self rightous f*cks decided to hoon past the house every 15minutes yelling "EARTH HOUR!" at the top of their lunges. These are the same type of ppl that get into fights with neighbours because they water their plants during water restrictions. They should just get a life! Since when did a voluntary thing become enforcable by douchebag vigelante a$$hats?!?

The problem here is that most likely any savings will be lost due to the extra power used to start everything back up again.

And any forced blackouts with regularity will just be offset by longer working hours etc to make up for lost work/time. Which means more power consumption, which wipes out any savings.

Unless it happens at night, then alarm clocks reset and everyone is two hours late to work the next morning.

The thing with Earth Hour is that is doesn't actually reduce emissions. It is more everyone saying they want to reduce emissions and raise awareness.

Power stations work at a certain efficiency, the operators will not drop below that. Also can't leave out the fact that turning down the output of a power station for one hour is also not efficient. This thread also shows that not everyone took part in the idea, which goes to show that even if they reduced output for that hour there is no way of knowing how much the output needs to be reduced by.

Power stations work at a certain efficiency, the operators will not drop below that. Also can't leave out the fact that turning down the output of a power station for one hour is also not efficient.

Actually, peak-load power stations are designed to have their output varied across the day, it's the base-load stations that run at max efficiency 24/7.

To me, Earth Hour needs to be turned into Earth Day, except that it's not lights that you turn out but useless standby crap, and minimising the amount of electricity you use whilst still doing everything that you normally do.

Earth Hour only makes the old-farts feel nostalgic about the Blitz, young people complain that they can't play their X-Box for an hour, and candle manufacturers roll around in the piles of cash they make from increased sales.

For it to be of any use, it needs to be more than a 1 hour sacrifice - make it a 1 day or 1 week compromise, and you'll see much better results from it. That, and the more you do it the more it will become second nature.

also, when most people turn off their lights, they tend to whip out their torches

if you think about all the energy and materials that has gone into making the batteries and parts of the torch, in the long run, you would probably be doing more harm to the environment