RT142 Engine Swap?

PhantomCorona

Hey guys.

So yeah to make it quick im currently on my P plates atm. Under the new VIC P high performance laws.

Im thinking of doing an engine swap shortyly after i have my interior completely re-upholstered to show room look.

Anyways yes for an engine change on a 1985 RWD RT142 Corona Sedan.

Im thinking of waiting till im off my p plates to go for a 1GGTE! (Turbo ver.) or now go for the 1GGE engine.

I currently have the 22RE. But with my paintjob and stereo thumping constantly (like all P platers are known for) :rolleyes::) i have commodores lining me up and i just cant compete. <_<

I have hyundais keeping up with me. How embarresing.

So i think i need to step it up another 2 cylinders.

What are your thoughts?

Get a 1GGE now and strap a turbo on to it after im finished on my Ps (gotta love forced induction) :yahoo: or..............

Get the 1GGTE later after my Ps in the next 3 years. :unsure:

Please guys your thouhts would help me out heaps.

Thanks.

PS.. I currently have an intercooler being sent from QLD for a 1G engine.

and also going to be transfering $$$ for a mines ecu (that apparently came factory with the 3rd gen 1G.) fairly soon.

So the 1G engine is a go.

Just picking a stock non-turbo or turbo is the qs.

Cheers guys.

i was planning to get an engine swap for my p plate car. but decided engine swaps are hefty and why not purchase one with an engine swap? (have to run through it to make sure its not been wrecked and skidded alot) and its difficult to upgrade your car if its daily. like me when i was on reds, it was all about speed, once you get to greens its all about laughing at the try hard reds.

IMO i would wait the 3 years, save enough money (if your getting someone else to put it in) to get a good job, high parts or another car and since you put the engine in later, a better engine turbo combination (low km if you find one, lower chance of exploding and repairing and off teh road, i rack up alot of km in my 1st year of driving)

i got an extra body in the trunk and it runs 24seconds a quater mile (18 stock) but whats the rush? take it easy and listen to the tunes.

well thats my opinion though.

1GGEs are slugs, pure and simple. A good healthy 22RE probably has more guts than a non-turbo 1G, if only because of the extra 400cc capacity.

Since you intend on going 1GGTE once you get off your Ps, then I highly recommend just sucking it up and leaving the 22RE as is for the moment - why spend money on a conversion when you're going to be spending even more money in a year or two's time to change it all anyway?

Can't remember Vic laws, but are you allowed engine changes (I know in NSW you're not)? Or are just turbos/superchargers not allowed (there used to be a power-to-weight thing too, right?). In that case, maybe think about going VZ/MZ V6, you can strap a supercharger on once you get unrestricted, it'll be different (but plenty common for parts, and relatively cheap too). plenty of guts as you'll be basing off a 3L instead of a 2L, etc etc.

1GGTEs are a very common install for Coronas, so at least if you do end up going that option there is plenty of info out there for you, which is a plus.