Aurion Audio Help?

1stKill

there is a device at jb (i shop there alot) and it sends signals via infa-red from buttons to unit and then converts it to the dash... however i didnt see toyota listed among the 'suitable' listing. there is a way of course but honestly i dont wanna ruin a good stock headunit just to use the display.

ive seen people use 2units for their cars just to use the steering wheel function, i seen it happen on a accord euro.

It sounds like you guys give up too easily.

No one has looked at the wiring diagrams, but everyone has assumed there is no way to do this.

Mikey,we havent given up yet, we are exploring a lot of different avenues, the only problem is im a clutz when it comes to electronics so its all on my installer and ya right if he say NO i cant do it, then i will find someone else or wait until someone works it out not a huge drama,ive learnt to be paitent with the Aurion on mods so this is no different. ;)

thats actually a good point there. i might just pop down to toyota and try and grab a diagram of their wirings etc and maybe i could send to you so you could have a look for me? plus it'll help out the rest of the aurion boys.

I am 99% sure it's CAN, so wiring will be of no use to you.

thats actually a good point there. i might just pop down to toyota and try and grab a diagram of their wirings etc and maybe i could send to you so you could have a look for me? plus it'll help out the rest of the aurion boys.

Hey Random,my installer mate was banging on about CAN bus electrical system in the Aurion, but i have limited knowledge on this, can you dumb it down(main difference to other electrical systems) for me so maybe ive got some understanding. thanks :unsure:

No one has looked at the wiring diagrams, but everyone has assumed there is no way to do this.

I have already looked at the wiring diagrams for the Aurion and even done measurements both voltage and logic (TTL/CMOS). The display button requires a digital circuit to process it's command and it is not as simple as just connecting wires. There is no guarantee as well than some aftermarket solution will be compatible with the digital signals required. I don't make assumptions. When it comes to things like this, I prefer to DIY. Unless you are good with reverse engineering the PCB in the stock stereo, then looking at the wiring diagram for the Aurion isn't going to help in this scenario.

And that's the conclusion I came to. The controls on the Aurion do use the CAN bus and it is something that I am not willing to spend time on trying to decipher.

Hey Random,my installer mate was banging on about CAN bus electrical system in the Aurion, but i have limited knowledge on this, can you dumb it down(main difference to other electrical systems) for me so maybe ive got some understanding. thanks :unsure:

CAN bus communication is twisted pair digital communication. Just think of it as a LAN within your car communicating with various ECU's.

I have already looked at the wiring diagrams for the Aurion and even done measurements both voltage and logic (TTL/CMOS). The display button requires a digital circuit to process it's command and it is not as simple as just connecting wires. There is no guarantee as well than some aftermarket solution will be compatible with the digital signals required. I don't make assumptions. When it comes to things like this, I prefer to DIY. Unless you are good with reverse engineering the PCB in the stock stereo, then looking at the wiring diagram for the Aurion isn't going to help in this scenario.

Hey thanks man,i will pass this information on(installer),im sure if it could be done(without a reverse engineering degree) someone on this forum including your capable self would have worked it out by now. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

And that's the conclusion I came to. The controls on the Aurion do use the CAN bus and it is something that I am not willing to spend time on trying to decipher.

CAN bus communication is twisted pair digital communication. Just think of it as a LAN within your car communicating with various ECU's.

now thats dumbed down, thanks mate your a wealth of knowledge.

now thats dumbed down, thanks mate your a wealth of knowledge.

I know the guy to talk to regarding it, but he's up here in QLD. I might pop in on the weekend and see what he thinks.

Assuming the wiring is similar to that of the US model Camry, the toyota wiring diagrams show the audio and display controls are seperate but they share the same ground. This ground is provided by the 20 pin connector at the head unit (pin 6). So if the 20 pin connector is disconnected from the factory head unit and not reconnected by some othe method the DISP button will fail to function. Guess the easy fix is just to wire pin 6 to ground.

Assuming the wiring is similar to that of the US model Camry, the toyota wiring diagrams show the audio and display controls are seperate but they share the same ground. This ground is provided by the 20 pin connector at the head unit (pin 6). So if the 20 pin connector is disconnected from the factory head unit and not reconnected by some othe method the DISP button will fail to function. Guess the easy fix is just to wire pin 6 to ground.

This is also exactly the same as the Kluger. Pin 6 is connected to ground if using the SWI-JACK, so no functionality is lost.

It also seems a bit odd to me that Toyota would use CAN only in Australia for the steering wheel buttons. I have not seen a reference to it being used anywhere else. Unless anyone has the wiring diagrams to prove otherwise, you should assume that the Arion is using a resistor network connected directly to the HU like other Toyotas.

As the Aurion circuit is probably the same as the Kluger circuit, if anyone wants to send me the wiring diagrams, I will post the circuit for the modification; I should only need to change connector names and remove company logos/details, so it won't take me long.

This is an offer for a limited time. If everyone keeps posting reasons why it can't be done, I probably won't care either. If thats the case, you can always ask me to do it through my business some time in the future, but I don't know if you guys would like my hourly rates.

Mikey,will call toyota for diagram after EASTER,hopefully they can just e-mail it to me or i will call into a dealer and p/up one, will try and get it to you ASAP. thanks for your advise and offer of help,very much appreciated :D

• 2 weeks later...

I realized I was wasting my time, and everyone elses, when I saw that DJKOR had the diagrams showing that it was exactly as I said.

Obviously a discussion of unfounded theories is more entertaining than a solution.

I have deleted my comments and the drawings I posted.

Edited by Mikeyboy

• 3 weeks later...
I realized I was wasting my time, and everyone elses, when I saw that DJKOR had the diagrams showing that it was exactly as I said.

Obviously a discussion of unfounded theories is more entertaining than a solution.

I have deleted my comments and the drawings I posted.

Mikeyboy,ya posts were not a waste of time to me,you posted exactly the info i needed and it worked 1st shot,so please put the steering wheel control drawings & info back up because that info was gold to me and maybe someone else in the future.once again thanks it did help :)

p.s you were the 1st to post to me that it could be done(based on ya Kluger) and your info was spot on. :toast:

On the Aurion, getting your steering wheel audio controls to work are a little different to getting your 'DISP' button to work. For some reason, the DISP button integrates with a digital controller in the stock stereo, and when you get an aftermarket unit, it needs to have a similar controller for you to retain DISP button functionality. So far, the only guaranteed method of keeping this functionality is to get another unit that is made to work with the steering wheel controls, or to dissect the stock unit and obtain the circuit board from that.

The SWI-JACK has not been known to restore DISP button functionality.

no disecting needed to get SWI-JACK working on an Aurion,i'm going to post Mikeyboys diagrams and step by step info,and all this misinformation & guessing should be a thing of the past ;)

p.s we followed Mikeyboy's posted diagrams & instructions and it worked 1st go and no problems,my installer did say he would have been buggered if not for this info. :)

On the Aurion, getting your steering wheel audio controls to work are a little different to getting your 'DISP' button to work. For some reason, the DISP button integrates with a digital controller in the stock stereo, and when you get an aftermarket unit, it needs to have a similar controller for you to retain DISP button functionality. So far, the only guaranteed method of keeping this functionality is to get another unit that is made to work with the steering wheel controls, or to dissect the stock unit and obtain the circuit board from that.

no disecting needed to get SWI-JACK working on an Aurion,i'm going to post Mikeyboys diagrams and step by step info,and all this misinformation & guessing should be a thing of the past ;)

p.s we followed Mikeyboy's posted diagrams & instructions and it worked 1st go and no problems,my installer did say he would have been buggered if not for this info. :)

Yeah, we confirmed that on the 30th of April in the thread:

Steering wheel audio controls

The FAQ has been updated for future reference as well. It was a matter of whether or not the SWI-JACK could be guaranteed to restore the DISP functionality on the Aurion. Without someone trying it (for however much the SWI-JACK is), the answer could not be certain, hence I was not going to go around saying something WILL work on the Aurion without proof to back it up.

Anyways, thanks to Mikeyboy for taking the time to lend a hand. All I needed to see was that the pink wire when connected to ground (which is also done through the SWI-JACK) will restore the DISP button.

Yeah, we confirmed that on the 30th of April in the thread:

Steering wheel audio controls

It was a matter of whether or not the SWI-JACK could be guaranteed to restore the DISP functionality on the Aurion. Without someone trying it (for however much the SWI-JACK is), the answer could not be certain, hence I was not going to go around saying something WILL work on the Aurion without proof to back it up.

Anyways, thanks to Mikeyboy for taking the time to lend a hand. All I needed to see was that the pink wire when connected to ground (which is also done through the SWI-JACK) will restore the DISP button.

Sorry missed the 30th April thread (how observant am i) feel a bit like a d!ckhead now. :blink:

anyway to everyone that helped (DJKOR & Mikeyboy,esp.) THANKS heaps if not for you guys we would have struggled gettin this right and your posts took the guess work out of it :)