"Running In" new brakes

Guni

Brake and accelerate at the same time but for only 2-3 seconds then repeat 3-4 times or brake hard 3-4 times to bed them in, haha thats the way i was taught :)

but in my opinion i think just braking normally will do the trick

Do you want them bed in for the street or track?

I'll explain the softer way for the street I do.

Go to quiet road, while on the way drag the brake a little to get some heat into the system for 1km or so (don't want heat shock to the system). Then do a few heavy brakes from 70-30km/h, increase speed to 90-30 a couple of times and then drive off cooling the brakes down. Do not stop during the process or soon after doing it. You'll notice the brakes smelling funny and not working as effectively as you do more stops.

If possible always try and avoid bedding pads and rotors at the same time.

agree sd, i did some moderate, then some really hard stops from 100kmh to 50kmh on the highway, maybe 15 times, you want to smell your brakes, that how you know it's done. do not stop at all, keep running, the air will eventually cool your brakes.

very important to transfer some of the pads onto the disc.

whitestivo

Thanks for the info guys.

Helps !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SD, looks like i'll be bedding in the rotors and pads at the same time ...... any reason for not recommending to do so?

new rotors and pads shouldnt be bedded in together because of the resin the brake news pads expel. new pads will have more than worn in pads, and will saturate the contact surface of the new rotors with the resin. that creates an uneven surface and thus excess stress and friction on some parts = rotor warping. so basically you would be back to square one with buggered rotors!

Edited by lateralus

new rotors and pads shouldnt be bedded in together because of the resin the brake news pads expel. new pads will have more than worn in pads, and will saturate the contact surface of the new rotors with the resin. that creates an uneven surface and thus excess stress and friction on some parts = rotor warping. so basically you would be back to square one with buggered rotors!

Interesting. So install the rotor or a pad first and then the other? So the bedding process needs to be done twice?

Which to go in first? Rotor or pad?

what came first - the chicken or the egg?

it's completely up to you. if you've already got worn in pads, maybe get new rotors first and then after 500km or so, replace the pads. to me it seems easier that way

Hey guys what is the purpose of going through that process? What are you achieving? :-l

The reason for bedding in pads and rotors is to get a transfer of pad material into the rotor surface. This transfer of material aids in braking performance as it gives the pad something to grab onto in the rotor.

If the material transfer is uneven it can cause soft/hard spots in the rotor surface. As the rotor wears the hard spots last longer and can give the impression that the rotors are warped. This is why you shouldn't slow down too much, or stop, during the bedding in procedure.

It doesn't matter what is bed in first with rotors and pads. I prefer new pads on old rotors. I don't like to use too many different pads on the one set of rotors.

i just got new rotors for my car as well...

make sure when you use old pads (or if you bed in pads first) on new rotors, you have to get some sand paper and sand the pads back abit.. this also helps the rotors bed in evenly..

Great info guys,im waiting for a set of DBA4000 slotted rotors frt & rear,fronts available now rears due out of production(so ive been told)next week in SYDNEY and was only thinking i heard somewhere before try and bed them in seperatley,but this completly slipped my mind until i read this now, i can just fit the rotors 1st with old pads and then throw the new pads on later,how long does it take on average before the rotors are bed in so i can fit new pads? thanks.