HID help

mart3y

Hey everyone,

i am currently in the process of upgrading my car's headlights, because at the moment they are horrible.

to start with i was looking at just getting a pair of Hella 181 driving lights.

then i started looking at HIDs, i know they give all different colours depending on temperature and the higher the temp the less light that actually gets 'put' on the road.

i'm kinda aiming for something that will look good and give me a better light that my current halogens.

the car they will be going in if i get them is my 1996 toyota paseo.

i was just wondering if anybody could help with what i actually need to get, as in will i need new reflectors, headlight covers and all that because of the much higher temperature they burn at. and also what brand i should be looking at for kits, and whether i should go 35W or 55W

and also any opinions on the colour that will look best on my car would be great too. (such as, blue, purple or green).

i know thats a lot of questions, i'm just struggling to find some of the information on it and i'm new to the whole HID thing, any help would be great.

thanks,

Martin

thanks for that. it answered some of my questions.

i still have one though, if i go 8000-10000K will i need to replace my reflectors and/or headlight covers?

im sure u dont need to change ur reflectors or headlight covers.

i would go 10000k, if anything, max 8000k!

do u mean projector headlights by reflectors/headlight cover

ummm, at the moment i have a normalheadlight unit, so standard H4 halogen bulb with the silver reflector behind it and the plastic coveron the front.

is that what your meaning?

ummm, at the moment i have a normalheadlight unit, so standard H4 halogen bulb with the silver reflector behind it and the plastic coveron the front.

Remove old bulbs, install HID's. You don't have to touch anything else and there are no aftermarket lights available for your car.

If you ever come down to Brissy, I can help you install them.

i think the bloke is worried about the high heat... if i can remember correctly, apparently HID's dont burn as hot as halogens, so there would be no need to worry :D

Evo

i think the bloke is worried about the high heat... if i can remember correctly, apparently HID's dont burn as hot as halogens, so there would be no need to worry :D

Evo

That is true. HID's are more efficient, hence why they produce more light with less power consumption. Halogens waste up to 80% of their energy as heat. So at 35W for HID, even if all energy was wasted as heat, the HID would still be cooler than the halogen. No need to fear your reflectors burning out.

Remove old bulbs, install HID's. You don't have to touch anything else and there are no aftermarket lights available for your car.

If you ever come down to Brissy, I can help you install them.

thanks, i'll keep that in mind if i have any trouble, i come to brissy fairly often

BTW, if you're looking for better visibility, go for 6000K and 35W.

You can't go wrong with 6000k because of not only about visibility but also less attraction of police(They don't even bother to pull you over for 6000k HIDs).

Higher than 6000k could be a bit harder to see in fog from my experience(with 8000k).

• 3 weeks later...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=390047184194

mate, this is what i bought and they are great.

They are a high and low beam kit. Bought them off ebay from a guy in VIC. Took me 4 days to get sent to my house via post. Btw with this kit you can change the globes to the various sorts buy just buying the bulbs if u dont want blue or white.

I just put mine on my car and they look heaps cool. I kept the same housing for the bulbs. So i didnt have to change anything but install the ballasts and the new HID globes.

Good luck man!!!

Just a hint...is you stay white you will get better projection. The more blue you go it wont be as strong as 6000k & you might get pulled over.