Few HID Question

magic

hey all,

did a search on google about HID kits and what not ...and also on the forum and couldnt find what i wanted to know so ...

1. i see a title on ebay along the lines of "HID XENON CONVERSION KIT H7 55W 6000K" i understand all of that is but the "h7" part i know they are referring to the bulb but what type is right one for the corolla 03...??

2. the higher the Wattage the better the kit??

3. i would like run 8000K as my main lights is anyone else running them?? what do u think about the difference ??

Cheers

Aiden

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey all,

did a search on google about HID kits and what not ...and also on the forum and couldnt find what i wanted to know so ...

1. i see a title on ebay along the lines of "HID XENON CONVERSION KIT H7 55W 6000K" i understand all of that is but the "h7" part i know they are referring to the bulb but what type is right one for the corolla 03...??

2. the higher the Wattage the better the kit??

3. i would like run 8000K as my main lights is anyone else running them?? what do u think about the difference ??

Cheers

Aiden

1. Check your car manual it will tell you but it should be H7..someone correct me if i`m wrong

2. The higher the watt the higher the output..doesnt make it better..at most makes it brighter..

3. The higher the "k" the blue-er it becomes..but then the higher you go..the visibility becomes worse..id say go 6000k :) its not yellow..its not totally blue which will attract popo`s attention..its white with a tinge of blue..good visibility too

3 suggestion...

1 - dont get 55w kit as they are ultra bright and will blind anyone passing you...

2 - get 4300k , 5000k or at max 6000k kit, they are all white color as mentioned above and ofcoz lessen the chance of getting you pull over for possible vehicle defect...

3 - lastly, make sure if you do install the kit, readjust the beam to (lower the beam sightly...) so again it doesnt blind those passing you...

enjoy your conversion... :)

cheers for the replies J e r e M y, Speedz.

clears up alot in my head and also probably saved me a decent amount of money.

to confirm is the corolla a h7 (wont see my car for a few days).

thanks

Aiden

just adding to the advice... also dont get a 55W HID KITS... 1) it blinds people ( as speeedz said)

2) as its going to be brighter than a 35w ( even tho a 35w is bright enuf XD), then you gonna get popo's atention very easily.

ive been in a few situation, where cops went passed infront of me, then you can see that they started looking at my car and you can see from their facial expression (" GEEZ! his lights is too bright!")

so yeh, get a 35w, it will be enuf as AUS metropolitans roads is all well lit anyway :)

• 2 weeks later...

6000k is prob the best visibility!

but i got 8000k, never had a problem with the police.

been pulled over, never said anything about it!

been through booze buses and they never said anything. =]

but yeah, white with a bit of blue, 6000k...

if u want a bit more blue, 8000k!

alrighty... dont wanna sound like a retard but I'll just the question anyway to get a straight answer.

if i just need my headlights looking whiter than the ***** yellow one most stock production car do i have to get it fully converted with the HID kit + ballast etc or will changing the bulbs do? Anyone can summarise the difference for me pretty please?

driving a current shape camry btw...

thx!

alrighty... dont wanna sound like a retard but I'll just the question anyway to get a straight answer.

if i just need my headlights looking whiter than the ***** yellow one most stock production car do i have to get it fully converted with the HID kit + ballast etc or will changing the bulbs do? Anyone can summarise the difference for me pretty please?

thx!

Depends on how much whiter. You can change to krypton filled bulbs which give a slightly whiter light, but still look yellow in a way. Or you can get the +30% halogen bulbs which give a slightly brighter light which is a little whiter than standard halogen, but the overall colour is still a bit yellow. Alternatively you can put in a super white bulb which are the ones that have a blue coating on the glass surface of the bulb. These turn out fairly white with minimal yellow, but be aware that these bulbs will have a lower light output and tend to be more useless than anything.

For that true white look while retaining brightness, your best solution is HID's.

thx!

Depends on how much whiter. You can change to krypton filled bulbs which give a slightly whiter light, but still look yellow in a way. Or you can get the +30% halogen bulbs which give a slightly brighter light which is a little whiter than standard halogen, but the overall colour is still a bit yellow. Alternatively you can put in a super white bulb which are the ones that have a blue coating on the glass surface of the bulb. These turn out fairly white with minimal yellow, but be aware that these bulbs will have a lower light output and tend to be more useless than anything.

For that true white look while retaining brightness, your best solution is HID's.

thanks... and how hard is it to install on of these HID things? brands i should go for or avoid and ow much i should be paying for them?

The kits are essentially plug and play. The hardest part is finding somewhere suitable to mount the ballast. As for the brands etc, I'm not the best to give advice on that. If you were to ask me, I'd say a $50-$70 kit off eBay would do the trick. They all seem to come out of the same factory anyways. I have never had any issues with cheap kits, so I tend to stick with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Armstrong,

How did you go with the Kits? Do you have any problems installing them?

I've just ordered mine today, H7 6000k, just for low beam, $90 including postage from Hongkong/China, a bit dearer than $50-$70 DJKOR mentioned.

Has anyone got some tips or tricks to install them?

Thanks

lang

• 5 months later...
The kits are essentially plug and play. The hardest part is finding somewhere suitable to mount the ballast. As for the brands etc, I'm not the best to give advice on that. If you were to ask me, I'd say a $50-$70 kit off eBay would do the trick. They all seem to come out of the same factory anyways. I have never had any issues with cheap kits, so I tend to stick with them.

I just ordered a 8000K H4 kit off ebay for $75. I am thinking of installing it myself on to my 02' Camry. I just want to ask do I need to use a relay switch connected directly to the battery or just go with plugging in the ballasts to the OEM connector and running the two xenons without having to directly connect them to the battery or relay switch? im guessing the two ballasts just triggered using the oem connector is enough to do the job. Let me know if i am wrong. thanks

HID in reflector style headlights will blind/glare the crap out of everyone... Please only do this if you have projector style head lights.

Edited by STYLSH

HID in reflector style headlights will blind/glare the crap out of everyone... Please only do this if you have projector style head lights.

agreed

HID in reflector headlights are my pet hate. Its illegal in most states anyway. Get some phillips =80% globes if you want brighter headlights.

better still waste you money on a worthwhile mod

agreed

HID in reflector headlights are my pet hate. Its illegal in most states anyway. Get some phillips =80% globes if you want brighter headlights.

better still waste you money on a worthwhile mod

Hi T-Money

What you said is exactly the reason why i havent got HIDs on my rolla.

I am looking into two option with brighter globes:

H7 Philips Power2Night GT150 Performance Bulbs

OSRAM NIGHTBREAKER H7 -PAIR- NIGHT BREAKER

Anyone/Everyone please let me know which one is better or if there is any other better options.

Thanks in Advance!

D35

I just ordered a 8000K H4 kit off ebay for $75. I am thinking of installing it myself on to my 02' Camry. I just want to ask do I need to use a relay switch connected directly to the battery or just go with plugging in the ballasts to the OEM connector and running the two xenons without having to directly connect them to the battery or relay switch? im guessing the two ballasts just triggered using the oem connector is enough to do the job. Let me know if i am wrong. thanks

i too would like to find out from you guys with HID installations if you use a relay or a just a direct connect from ballasts to oem connectors... will it fry anything??

i would use a relay harness to prevent any potential damage/melting of your stock wiring if they can't handle HID. you won't notice the damage to the wiring till its too late so its best to prevent it.

another good thing with a relay harness is you can modify it to have a headlight delay-off feature found in chryslers and mercs :ph34r: or does the new toyotas have that feature already?

i would use a relay harness to prevent any potential damage/melting of your stock wiring if they can't handle HID. you won't notice the damage to the wiring till its too late so its best to prevent it.

another good thing with a relay harness is you can modify it to have a headlight delay-off feature found in chryslers and mercs :ph34r: or does the new toyotas have that feature already?

hey thanks for the advice..i was going to put it without a relay actually..are the relays expensive to get? and also the xenons i am getting are the 35W version, not 55W so do you think still it will be an overload to the wires over a period of time? and yeah my 02' camry has the delayed headlight off system..but i hardly use it :)

you can get a hid relay harness on ebay for around $30. from my reading wires 16 gauge or larger will handle 35W HID fine

i have to find out if my camry has 16 gauge wires or not..any idea how i could find out the gauge? ya considering they are 35W xenon bulbs i think the draw will be quite less on the wires.

you can get a hid relay harness on ebay for around $30. from my reading wires 16 gauge or larger will handle 35W HID fine

i have to find out if my camry has 16 gauge wires or not..any idea how i could find out the gauge? ya considering they are 35W xenon bulbs i think the draw will be quite less on the wires.

no you dont need to find out the gauge of the camry wiring (you can't anyway) if you're using a relay harness. the harness carries the load of the ballasts. the stock wiring just powers the relay which uses f all

in some cars the relay harness can cause a "bulb out" warning because the relay uses very little current from the stock wiring. i can't help you there...

no you dont need to find out the gauge of the camry wiring (you can't anyway) if you're using a relay harness. the harness carries the load of the ballasts. the stock wiring just powers the relay which uses f all

in some cars the relay harness can cause a "bulb out" warning because the relay uses very little current from the stock wiring. i can't help you there...

I get what you mean..i will see how it goes..mostly i will order a relay too later on..i am still waiting for the kit to be delivered to me..thanks