help with pod filter

djkotic

hey guys,

i got my 92' celica sx (5sfe) not long ago and the mod bug has started to kick in. (just started learning about mods - so im still a noob)

ive already changed my fogs, headlamps and parker lights.

i'm looking to install a pod filter now. i think the original hose thing is 2.5" and universal pod filters are 3" necks.

when i headed to my local auto parts store (ive been to autobarn, supercheap, auto1) they told me to get all kinds of stuff and when i bought them, it doesnt fit or its not meant to be used. ive done some research and i found out that theres an air temp. sensor which needs to be plugged in and the rep at the store told me to get the 'air sensor mount' but the sensor doesnt even fit on all 3 adaptors that come with it.

can anybody help me with the things i'll need to install a pod filter correctly?

cheers in advance guys

p.s: my budget is low, just looking for cheap mods to put to my car. :)

Edited by djkotic

From memory, you need to drill a 18mm hole in the intake somewhere (can do it on the end of the pod if it's the right type) and use the rubber bung out of the airbox/intake piping to put in the hole. If it's a push-in type arrangement, this will be the way to go. What you'll need is a 3>2.5" reducer (can either use a stepped piece of pipem, or a silicone reducer) some 2.5" and 3" hose clamps, the intake piping and of course the filter.

I can check on my girlfriend Celica on the weekend if you want.

This is what I did.

Got a K&N Pod to suit a GT4 (although you might want a cheaper one)

got some 2in piping and silicon joiners.

routed the piping to where i wanted it, installed the pod. and in one of the silicon jointers put a hole for the air temp sensor.

I will take a photo for you this afternoon.

bunnings!! i got everything i needed from bunnings for like 6 bucks. if u go my way there is a little bit of metal work involved in keeping the pod filter in place, not touching anything. i can tell u how i did it in detail if u like. but i cant show anymore pics as i dont have the car anymore

hey guys, i still havent really had a chance to do this properly.

I havent really found the right parts to do it. lol im such a n00b.

but anyway, would buying a cheap pod filter from supercheap or autobarn help me to achieve the awesome intake sound? or is what you pay is what you get? to be honest, i don't mind about anything performance wise but i was looking to get that nice suction sound.

would the plastic thing thats also connected to the hose (ive been told its some chamber that quietens the induction noise) affect my chances of achieving the sound or no? sorry guys, i probably sound like an idiot but thanks heaps for those who have checked this thread out. :D

but yeah, i've been looking at getting a 3A racing power stack filter. apparently it outdone k&n, trust, apexi and other brands at filtration and air flow (autosalon 2007 or something lol) is this worth buying?

cheers guys !

I am not sure how a cheap one would sound, but i find my K&N makes a pretty awesome intake noise... and yeah, i would remove that chamber thing, and maybe run some pipe like mine if you really want the sound.