Light Weight Wheel Nuts

Guni

I have some light weight wheel nuts and have only heard it being thrown around that its best not to tightened it using impact wrench.

Other than the potential cosmetic issue where the nuts get scratched and stuff, what are the factor behind not using an impact wrench?

If you're gonna tell me they are softer and will break easily then please don't as they are used to keep your wheels secure. If they are softer, so to speak, then wouldn't they be dangerous to have in the first place on the wheels with the bumps and humps we experienced on everyday roads. Its like saying your wheels will just pop out if you go over a big pothole because the nuts cannot keep it together. <_<

Its lighter I can understand but if its softer because of it then something is wrong somewhere there ............ :unsure:

Thanks.

Cheers.

Also, what benefits would it have with the weight savings? Just about a KG max maybe for each wheel? :huh:

I agree with ya,because if there skimpin on weight over saftey they can keep em,but on the other hand if its because rattle guns do tend to rough up the inside nut holes on ya mags, so maybe it also roughs up the nut a bit(purely cosmetic).Ive tried to buy these nylon covered sockets(outside covered in nylon only) but im yet to find one thats thin enough with nylon cover for my wheels(just dosnt fit by a bees d!ck)anyway ya think proper light weight racing wheel nuts would be of upper quality due to race testing & stuff?

they look good and they are really light in weight there not weaker then normal nuts if anything there much stronger then normal nuts

ok .... which comes to my question. What is the reason it cannot be used with an impact wrench?

they look good and they are really light in weight there not weaker then normal nuts if anything there much stronger then normal nuts

ok .... which comes to my question. What is the reason it cannot be used with an impact wrench?

lols oh yeah forgot about that lols i think you can use a impact wrench why not seen it done many times at the tyre shops i did use it once at my mates house not a air gun it was a impact wrench buff as on my rays nuts was fine if you ask me bit hard to take off but yeah

impact wrench > hand tight with socket > air gun

thats the way i see it and heard

meh hope that helps ahahaha

vteC yo!

those light weight nuts are made of aluminium... its a soft metal compared to steel which have other metals to make it tough and strong.

The impact wrench and sheer off the threads on the nut.... i got the trd nuts.. they do what they gotta do.. might save and get the mcgard TRD nuts.

Why would you even use a rattle-gun on wheel nuts anyway? In my opinion, wheel nuts should only ever be done up initially by hand, then torqued to the proper value by a torque wrench (100Nm is a good figure to use). This is tight enough to hold the wheel on but loose enough that you can change the wheel on the side of the road without having to resort to a breaker bar.

I've seen wheel nuts done up so tight with a rattle gun that a 2m-long breaker bar wasn't enough to undo them (actually ended up stripping the thread). They're like spark-plugs - fingertight plus an extra hit to the specific torque, anything more and you're inviting trouble.

Why would you even use a rattle-gun on wheel nuts anyway? In my opinion, wheel nuts should only ever be done up initially by hand, then torqued to the proper value by a torque wrench (100Nm is a good figure to use). This is tight enough to hold the wheel on but loose enough that you can change the wheel on the side of the road without having to resort to a breaker bar.

I've seen wheel nuts done up so tight with a rattle gun that a 2m-long breaker bar wasn't enough to undo them (actually ended up stripping the thread). They're like spark-plugs - fingertight plus an extra hit to the specific torque, anything more and you're inviting trouble.

Unfortunately, "no time" is the response I get from most mechanics and tyre places. That's why rattle guns are used.

Unfortunately, "no time" is the response I get from most mechanics and tyre places. That's why rattle guns are used.

the get em in , get em off, get em on, get em out attitude from tyre shops around the place is scary... we rely on our wheels to keep us on the road.. nd poor balancing, fitting or attitude to safety is scary sometimes.

i cringe when i hear rattl guns banging on the clutch when they are being done up in a shop... Delarue Tyres in Carnegie will be getting all my fitment, alignement business from now on... they took great care, and did an excellent job of diagnosing a wheel wobble i had.. and they used a torque wrench to finish off the job. very pleased!

good work mate....im think ill be up for four new tyres soon....the fronts are bit too harder compound and not too good in the wet....and the rear....well we know one is out of shape already so four newies will be nice

house keys in 2 hours..... :o

Delarue Tyres in Carnegie will be getting all my fitment, alignement business from now on... they took great care, and did an excellent job of diagnosing a wheel wobble i had.. and they used a torque wrench to finish off the job. very pleased!

Corner of Dandenong and Darling Roads :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I went there for all my fitment and alignment needs ............. Nice bloke that Jason ...

the get em in , get em off, get em on, get em out attitude from tyre shops around the place is scary... we rely on our wheels to keep us on the road.. nd poor balancing, fitting or attitude to safety is scary sometimes.

i cringe when i hear rattl guns banging on the clutch when they are being done up in a shop... Delarue Tyres in Carnegie will be getting all my fitment, alignement business from now on... they took great care, and did an excellent job of diagnosing a wheel wobble i had.. and they used a torque wrench to finish off the job. very pleased!

weve got a 3/4'' impact rattle gun for the trucks at our workshop,biggest drama is keeping air up to this monster,this bad boy would screw ya head off ya shoulders it weighs about 8-9kgs and a bugger to lug around the workshop ;)

Nice.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Next question, what benefits would the weight savings have assuming its just about a few KG each wheel.

What are the benefits to reduced rotational weight?

I'll understand if this is the rim itself being lightweight but how does the nuts play a part? Nothing significant I would think.

Nice.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Next question, what benefits would the weight savings have assuming its just about a few KG each wheel.

What are the benefits to reduced rotational weight?

I'll understand if this is the rim itself being lightweight but how does the nuts play a part? Nothing significant I would think.

Its all reducing your sprung weight... the more you can reduce it the beter your call will perform... even if its a few gramms.... like we always say, every little bit you can do will help.

Delarue Tyres in Carnegie will be getting all my fitment, alignement business from now on... they took great care, and did an excellent job of diagnosing a wheel wobble i had.. and they used a torque wrench to finish off the job. very pleased!

Corner of Dandenong and Darling Roads :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I went there for all my fitment and alignment needs ............. Nice bloke that Jason ...

yeah mate... they are great guys. i've been very happy with them, they looked after me and Soy there really well.

When I took the rears off the MR2, I had to use a long wrench followed by a breaker bar with a pipe extension, then STILL stand on the thing to undo them. I was convinced I was about to shear the nut off, but they came off fine.

No wonder it had warped rotors :rolleyes:

When I took the rears off the MR2, I had to use a long wrench followed by a breaker bar with a pipe extension, then STILL stand on the thing to undo them.

I mean, come on man, was that really nessesary??

Jeezzzz. Its not about to come off anytime soon that's for sure. Do they really have to/need to ?

When I took the rears off the MR2, I had to use a long wrench followed by a breaker bar with a pipe extension, then STILL stand on the thing to undo them.

I mean, come on man, was that really nessesary??

Jeezzzz. Its not about to come off anytime soon that's for sure. Do they really have to/need to ?

Rears HAVE to be torqued up or they warp rotors, known design flaw with MR2's (problem with running less front bias to compensate for all weight in rear combined with piddly little rotors). The car came with receipts of almost all the work done by workshops in the last 6 months, last place to touch it was a Toyota dealers down in NSW :P