Mods mods 2zz

G'day,

I've had a sportivo now for about 18 mths. God damn I love it! When I first got it, peope used to tell me the restrictors to give it a bit more. Like that butterfly clip in the airbox, And then the intake pipe...

It's gotten to the point where that isn't enough now.

I have since removed the bumper and fitted a pod filter down in front of the wheel well. Nice cheap mod more power.

But that's about as far as I can go.

I live on the Gold Coast, and I have been looking for a mechanic for at least 6 mths.

Ask most people have you worked on a 2zz and they say what's that? I say N/A they say go away!

I'm not looking to do anywork internally on the engine, as I am saving up at the moment for a race spec engine that will just slip in, But there are still things I can do now.

New ECU - I have been looking at these and I have heard alot about the Power FC and seen this unit. Looks to be quite good. But another one I saw was the Camcon. Both of these units allow me to adjust lift, and my air fuel ratio. I want to drop lift so it kicks in at about 5,600 maybe 5,400 but usually it doesn't drop below 5,5 and thats a pretty damn ****ty shift.

Extractors - My mate's got a 200sx that has a bit of work done to it. He looks at my dump pipe and drools. All the exhaust shops I go to say I won't get a powergain from putting a different exhaust system on it.

Boxing the Pod - Going to the Dyno this morning, they looked at my little cheap mod and shamed me. Flexible/Expanding hoses. Apparently this Pulses the air and screws the path of it causing pulses. But, the other part they said was there is no point removing the air box. The pod may sound louder, but the/an airbox makes a helluva lot difference.

The Gearbox is a barrel of fun in itself. Lucky Me, got myself a brand new gearbox when the first when screwed itself. 3 days out of warranty :P. Obviously these boxes are an absolute (*&^ abd*) I could go on. I now have a brand new box with about 13k on it. I plan on fitting in the Jun Lightweight flywheel *looks to be lighter than the TRD or Exedy* and the exedy single plate heavy duty clutch. Since reading today people also put in LSD's into the gearbox while all this off aswell so thats sounds a go here. But how do I fix the bAAaaad shift from 1st to 2nd. Many people have said when they fitted the TRD clutch kit, all the gearbox issues seemed to fade away. Can I hope for this? *I'm crossin my fingers you'll say yes!*

I will throw up my Dyno read sheet, But after having a chat with Gavin Wood, he has told me I can get a little bit more power but not a whole lot. Putting in a new ecu he can remap the torque holes and where it riches at about 4500 and then leans at lift. He can fix all the bad mapping.

You prolly want to know the Dyno reading? 147.2 HP :) Was shocked myself. and the expression on the person Dyno'in the car... Priceless. He laughed when I drove in with a corolla :P love sleepers.

I am no mechanic. I have been trawling these forums for a while now, just on basic information on the car. But does anyone know where I can talk face to face with someone to understand this car just a little more and to make some kind of plan on where I want to go with the modifications. In my head, I know what I want to do, but simply don't have anyone to talk to that

a) knows the car

B) Wants to talk about it

Tunex have been nice enough to say they can have a look at it and see what they can do.

But again. I am paying them for their own R&D. I don't want to do that. I want to find a mechanic and say What extractors do you recommend for this car. And then they don't just recommend, they ask the question "Well what do you want it for? Street, Track, Drag?"

Cheers

Extractors - My mate's got a 200sx that has a bit of work done to it. He looks at my dump pipe and drools. All the exhaust shops I go to say I won't get a powergain from putting a different exhaust system on it.

u gots a dump pipe? :wub:

Edited by 123R-Prozak

Extractors - have a look through my '2ZZ Extractors' thread. We're actually looking for a car to make a set on, won't go too into details but this will also include a pre and post dyno run.

Changing lift engagement point in pointless on a stock engine. Toyota set it there for a reason.

mate, come along on a thursday night in Brisbane, there are some very knowledgeable characters on the sportivo

what i do know RTH, is lift at 5600 is ideal, as maximises power off the small cam. that i know. toyota in the hurried response to remap the ecu of corollas, i think they stuffed it. what i woudl give for a simple lift on off, like honda, then i could have more fun.

whitestivo

mate, come along on a thursday night in Brisbane, there are some very knowledgeable characters on the sportivo

what i do know RTH, is lift at 5600 is ideal, as maximises power off the small cam. that i know. toyota in the hurried response to remap the ecu of corollas, i think they stuffed it. what i woudl give for a simple lift on off, like honda, then i could have more fun.

whitestivo

What he said ^^^^^!!!!

Come to a thursday night meet and have a chat. there is still a lot you can do!!

whitestivo

What he said ^^^^^!!!!

Come to a thursday night meet and have a chat. there is still a lot you can do!!

I think Jeriko doesn't realise that he has only touched the surface of how in-depth the stivos are lol :P

And whats funny is... i don't have one LOL :lol:

Evo

whitestivo

It was set there because marketing said so. Just like marketing says turbo cars have to have lag...

There is no general rule for where to set lift, set the high cam change over where it makes more power than the low cam.

whitestivo

It was set there because marketing said so. Just like marketing says turbo cars have to have lag...

There is no general rule for where to set lift, set the high cam change over where it makes more power than the low cam.

I was under the impression turbo's lag due to the amount of power they need to start spooling. I have been looking into these aswell as I had been looking into Electronic Superchargers...It's allright, I know... Don't touch em

. Apparently, they are looking into having ball bearing turbo's but to have an electrical current running through it so it's always "2 some degree" ready for boost and always spinning at approx 3 - 5g revs. Only issue they seem to be hacing at the moment is an electronic supercharger/turbo need to much current and the battery simply can't doll out enough.

But off that topic.. I have lift :P sounds better, feels better. and compared with a turbo I can apparently set it to come on whenever I want. Better :P

Obviously, any mechanic I talk to down here is stupid. Since reading through what you people have told me. Exhaust systems can be enhanced and all sorts of stuff. The surface Evo7 is damn thick to start scratchin at and as a non mechanic, I got's nfi cept for what I have researched.

Thursday night :) I believe thats tommorow night! Might have to catch up with a few of the sportivo bretheren and see what everyone else has been doing since I'm so late coming to the party.

And I might just add. This forum has probably been one of, if not the most helpful in regards to my car. It's brilliant. And to have such a successful following of a car. I believe this website has helped alot.

Edited by Jeriko

Extractors - have a look through my '2ZZ Extractors' thread. We're actually looking for a car to make a set on, won't go too into details but this will also include a pre and post dyno run.

Changing lift engagement point in pointless on a stock engine. Toyota set it there for a reason.

Details for me are a little useless :P I'm an IT manager. You want me to put a t/screen computer in your car...easy enough :P

Where abouts are you? and what directly are you looking for cause I would be quite happy to let you tinker around with my car. No other mechanics want to touch it, Or they will touch it but it's *Developement* and can't guarantee the car etc.

I was under the impression turbo's lag due to the amount of power they need to start spooling.

ofcourse turbo's r laggy as all h.e.l.l. ..... i mean check out this slow poke turbo 2zz :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!