Knocking heard after installed the rear sway bar

mslun

Hi All,

Today I've managed to get a friend to put in the rear sway bar for me. Not long after its done and when I was on my way home, I kept hearing some sort of knocking happening in the rear right hand side. I can hear it clearly whenever I go through any hump or even just passing an uneven surface. Doesn't matter if I drive pass it with the left / right or both wheels, the knocking sound always come from the right.

Just wondering if anyone had any similar issues b4 after installing the rear sway bar or know what could possibly went wrong?

Thanks

just FYI, the bar was from Ultra racing.

Hi All,

Today I've managed to get a friend to put in the rear sway bar for me. Not long after its done and when I was on my way home, I kept hearing some sort of knocking happening in the rear right hand side. I can hear it clearly whenever I go through any hump or even just passing an uneven surface. Doesn't matter if I drive pass it with the left / right or both wheels, the knocking sound always come from the right.

Just wondering if anyone had any similar issues b4 after installing the rear sway bar or know what could possibly went wrong?

Thanks

just FYI, the bar was from Ultra racing.

hey there buddy it's most likely your sway bar that is making that noise.

i remember installing mine and it had that kocking sound too when i go over bumps or uneven rds etc.

all it was, was a loose bolt from when i installed it.

hope you have the same problem and its nothing bigger than that

Andrew

i've got the same problem, it sounds like a CLONKING noise and tht happens after i got the UR rear lower bar put in, i guess its not the sway and im yet to find a solution for it.. will post it here if i find a way to fix it.. (but again, it could be two different situation here)

Did you re-use the original mounts that hold the sway bar bushes in? The white mounts that come with the Ultra Racing sway bar aren't bent at the proper angle and doesn't have a perfect fit if you try to use them and as a result, they may create some knocking.

dsc03756.jpg

In the case of an actual swaybar, like the additional UR bar located under the torsion beam, the clunking may be the bar hitting the torsion beam or sliding left to right.

In the case of the torsion beam reinforcement bar (the stock thing), the clunking can be that it's not tight enough as previously mentioned, or installed upside down.

Daryl: The Corolla bar is different, we don't have nice fancy rear TTL suspension.

Gav.

T.COROLLA02-07REARSWAYBAR19MM.JPG

But on the Aurion, it is a direct swap over from the 16mm rear sway bar to the 19mm version. There is no additional bar that can be added at this point in time. That extra 3mm doesn't make it much closer to the surrounding components and it is damn near impossible to mount the wrong way around. So this just means that something is loose, or that he has used the mounts that came with the bar.

I also used the original mounts for the bushes like Daryl did. There has to be something loose for a sway bar to have a knock.

I have had mine for quite a few months now and no problems.

But on the Aurion, it is a direct swap over from the 16mm rear sway bar to the 19mm version. There is no additional bar that can be added at this point in time. That extra 3mm doesn't make it much closer to the surrounding components and it is damn near impossible to mount the wrong way around. So this just means that something is loose, or that he has used the mounts that came with the bar.

Hey Man, so u're suggesting I should use the original mount with the new rubber thing that come with the UR bar to mount it?

Thanks

Fark me, I thought he had a Corolla. :whistling:

OK then, a sway bar can still slide from left to right as the suspension travels unevenly side to side. To fix this you need to use Whiteline Jamb bushings or similar.

You place 1 jamb bushing right next to the clamp where it is attached to the chassis (inner side of clamp). This will stop it sliding, and make it more effective too.

If you don't want the exorbitant cost of Whiteline jamb bushings, just get some thick urethane/rubber and and ring clamps from Autobarn or Supercheap.

EDIT: Looking at the picture, it doesn't appear this sway bar has much scope to slide around, I wonder if it is clapping on the closer lateral link from being lowered?

Cheers, Gav.

T.AURION07REARSWAYBAR19MM.JPG

In the case of an actual swaybar, like the additional UR bar located under the torsion beam, the clunking may be the bar hitting the torsion beam or sliding left to right.

In the case of the torsion beam reinforcement bar (the stock thing), the clunking can be that it's not tight enough as previously mentioned, or installed upside down.

Daryl: The Corolla bar is different, we don't have nice fancy rear TTL suspension.

Gav.

T.COROLLA02-07REARSWAYBAR19MM.JPG

Gav,

The bar is secured beneath via the bolts that holds onto the sway bar as shown in pic below so I doubt it will "clank"

Toyota%20Altis%20rear%20lab.ARB.JPG

But yes, no fancy rear sussy setup like other cars :(

Hey Man, so u're suggesting I should use the original mount with the new rubber thing that come with the UR bar to mount it?

Thanks

Mate had a similar problem with a loose bolt on a sway. Suggest you tighten it or check the mounts as suggested by Daryl.

Gav,

The bar is secured beneath via the bolts that holds onto the sway bar as shown in pic below so I doubt it will "clank"

Guan,

Yeah mate, it's a pretty tidy solution they've got there, and it looks like it would work really well. But the bar looks to sit really close.

Even though I bonked and went on about Corollas instead of Aurions, I'm feeling that my car could do with an UR sway bar now. :)

Gav.

Gav,

Guan,

Yeah mate, it's a pretty tidy solution they've got there, and it looks like it would work really well. But the bar looks to sit really close.

Even though I bonked and went on about Corollas instead of Aurions, I'm feeling that my car could do with an UR sway bar now. :)

Gav.

Hey Gav,

They got a pretty niffty setup there I must say although they are missing side member braces for our cars :(

I guess I spent a bit too much time on my post as didn't see yours when I posted mine.

:lol:

The knocking turned out from a loose bolt, tighten it up --> all sweet !!!

Just a note, apparently there is nothing wrong with the UR mount that come with the bar, bcoz as soon as we jacked up the car, we went straight to change back the mounts to the factory ones but it was the same.

Later we found out that the bolt - see attached pic, wasn't tighten hard enough and left a gap <---it was initially done that way bcoz the other end of the bolt kept slipping while we trying to tighten it up and we thought it was ok (so it proves not!!), but once we have done that probably...WOOOHOOO!!!

Now the cornering is sharper and what the most noticeable change is the exits are much much much more stable!!!

Truely amazing!!

Thanks everyone for your comment btw.

**Edited** forgot the pic

post-12400-1241435256_thumb.jpg

Edited by mslun

I'm having the same problem with my Corolla, atm with the whiteline swaybar. I'm try and install the factory bar back and see if the noise are still there.

whiteline/selby sway bar in my car had some creaking/clunking after a spirited drive after installation...

my good mechanic put it up on the hoist for me and gave it a real good tightening,(he put an addition 90 degree turn on the bolt!) and i've not had a drama with it since.

• 1 year later...

As i posted on an Aurion Sway bar. Just incase no one saw it. Hopefully this should solve your knocking or creaking problems

"For the guys who have problems with noisey sway bars from the bushes. Just use plumbers tape (white tape for pipes) to wrap around the bar before fitting the bushes on to the bar"