Aurion vs 3 mps

I'd like 30 seconds of my life back, please.

Actually, since I watched it at work, those 30 seconds earned me 17 cents.....

Phil, you have to remember that the MPS3 only makes 190kW in 5th and 6th gears.

And on the blacktop you will only get up to 4th gear, so he is still 4~6psi short of full power by the end of that run...

Gav.

And on the blacktop you will only get up to 4th gear, so he is still 4~6psi short of full power by the end of that run...

Gav.

Umm, isn't the 3 MPS limited in first and second gear to only give 170kw, but 3-6 is full boost/power?

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Gav.

Umm, isn't the 3 MPS limited in first and second gear to only give 170kw, but 3-6 is full boost/power?

If your question is a quizzicle answer, then just correct me and say so. I'm only going off what the owner's of the 2 MPS3s I've been in have told me. It is possible 1st and 2nd are throttled to such a boost level, and then 3rd and 4th less so until 5th and 6th have full boost. That's all very rudimentary anyhow, as 1st and 2nd gears get you to over 100kph in an MPS3, by which time the race is more than half over...

There are other things about the MPS3 than in-gear EBC that bothers me.

Gav.

Gav.

If your question is a quizicle answer, then just correct me and say so. I'm only going off what the owner's of the 2 MPS3s I've been in have told me. It is possible 1st and 2nd are throttled to such a boost level, and then 3rd and 4th less so until 5th and 6th have full boost. That's all very rudimentary anyhow, as 1st and 2nd gears get you to over 100kph in an MPS3 anyhow, by which time the race is more than half over...

Gav.

I know there is a torque-limiting device in first and second only (read in multiple reviews), not sure if that is tied to the boost limiter or not.

Gav.

If your question is a quizicle answer, then just correct me and say so. I'm only going off what the owner's of the 2 MPS3s I've been in have told me. It is possible 1st and 2nd are throttled to such a boost level, and then 3rd and 4th less so until 5th and 6th have full boost. That's all very rudimentary anyhow, as 1st and 2nd gears get you to over 100kph in an MPS3 anyhow, by which time the race is more than half over...

Gav.

I know there is a torque-limiting device in first and second only (read in multiple reviews), not sure if that is tied to the boost limiter or not.

I've only been told about the EBC limiting. But you've sparked my interest to investigate this further. Not that I really care, but Phil does, and I would hate for him to buy or not buy a car because of a youtube vid and someone's hear-say over such things. Surely the answer would present itself after cruising through a few forums.

Interestingly though, there are only 3 ways I can think of to actively limit torque, and that is by boost control, advancing/retarding the timing (whatever applies in this case) and varying an intake or exhaust feature.

Cheers, Gav.

Interestingly though, there are only 3 ways I can think of to actively limit torque, and that is by boost control, advancing/retarding the timing (whatever applies in this case) and varying an intake or exhaust feature.

Cheers, Gav.

Rev-cut could do it too, depending on the power/torque curve, which could be either timing, ignition or fuel cut.

yes im serious about focus xr5,its a better car,on paper mps makes more but on the road the xr5 is better.mps3 has to much torque steer could never launch it right.in fairness i enjoy driving my rolla then all the cars i previously owned.

1997-2000 Lancer CE

2000-2005 Land Rover freelander Droptop

2005-2007 subaru Sti

2007-2008 Mini Cooper S

2008-2009 Mazda MPS3

2009- Toyota Levin ZR

mrmpsinteriorview02.jpgMRMPSFrontView.jpgMRMPSSideView.jpg

man, the mps is fasting moving off my next buy list

i can't believe. gav you said it was so

so the zr corolla best car for you, even more then s charge cooper, mps, sti, that's quite a list of cars.

there is no way no aurion is taking me down, it's bad enough 313 will probably get me over the 1/4 in the stivo

bldy mazda.

whitestivo

yes im serious about focus xr5,its a better car,on paper mps makes more but on the road the xr5 is better.

I've been saying it for years and no one believed me.

Cars with driver aids that can't be turned off should be immediately removed from any list.

yes im serious about focus xr5,its a better car,on paper mps makes more but on the road the xr5 is better.

I've been saying it for years and no one believed me.

Cars with driver aids that can't be turned off should be immediately removed from any list.

Many levels of awesome about the XR5T, except where you spend all of your time, inside the car...

Gav.

after watching tiff destroy the xr5t and rave on the gtimkv, i'm thinking of saving some more, getting the apc chip, and then having the best of both worlds. and the gti is lightest.

well the mps is now officially out the door, not coming back. what a disgrace.

whitestivo

The Golf, yes, often overlooked. An alternative for the APC chip it is to get the Oettinger chip from APC. It's cheaper, but there was a catch IIRC. Anyhow, the $2k you pay for the chip gives massive power gains, and you maintain a quiet comfortable car. End of story really. Except you might want to look into gearbox reliability first. I'm not sure if the Golf was afflicted by any issues. Surely it can't be worse than a Sportivo, and you got a good one of those anyhow...

You have my blessing Phil,

Gav.

deal

now i just gotta wait for the mkv to drop in value a bit, from mk4 to mkv, second hand prices jump 17k, that's nuts.

2003 gti, 15k

2006 gti 32k

oh, and i'll try and grab a dsg one, looks nice indeed, not sure how it works exactly, thoughts?

mazda is dead to me

whitestivo

Edited by whitestivo