Rear Swaybar

mulla

Hi All,

Had a whiteline rear swaybar (BTR39) intalled this morning in my Gen5.5 Camry. Cornering ability has drastically increased, am very happy with the upgrade :)

There is a slight issue tho, whenever I go over a speed hump or hit a medium / large pothole at say 20km/h+ or so, I can hear a faint "donk" sound like the swaybar is hitting against something from the left rear wheel. Small pot holes or uneven roads are not an issue (no sound), likewise going over speed humps at low speed is ok as well. Right rear wheel is not an issue no sound from there.

Might ring up where I got it installed on Monday to make an appointment for it to be checked out again.

But does anyone know what might be the issue here? So I'd have some idea when I bring the car back to be checked.

Hmm.... Interesting, so it could be a loose bolt eh. Movement of the swaybar could mean it's not tightened sufficiently? Certainly hope that's what's causing it and not something more serious. Will mention this to the mechanic.

Thanks all for the tips.

i got same noize as u, but i do not have sway bar, i can always hear the noize when i passed the speed hump fastly, but can not hear the noize when i slowed down. After that, i went to different suspension store to check out, no one are able to find out the problems. At the first, i thought that was the problem with these shocks, and i changed them, but it still has the noize. But, one thing u can have a try, take everything out of your car to try again. Also, i went to the Pedders suspension store to do 28 points safety checking, and u may ask on that store, itz $14 and pretty detail. All the best.

1: If Poly bushings, make sure they were greased (or as I did, Teflon Tape, it last longer).

2: Sway Bar Link not fully tightened.

i got same noize as u, but i do not have sway bar, i can always hear the noize when i passed the speed hump fastly, but can not hear the noize when i slowed down. After that, i went to different suspension store to check out, no one are able to find out the problems. At the first, i thought that was the problem with these shocks, and i changed them, but it still has the noize. But, one thing u can have a try, take everything out of your car to try again. Also, i went to the Pedders suspension store to do 28 points safety checking, and u may ask on that store, itz $14 and pretty detail. All the best.

Yer tried doing that already, took all junk out of the boot including the matt, spare tyre, jack / tools. Unfortunately, noise is still present.

1: If Poly bushings, make sure they were greased (or as I did, Teflon Tape, it last longer).

2: Sway Bar Link not fully tightened.

I was watching when they were installing the swaybar, liberal amounts of grease was applied so most likely it's not tightened properly. Fingers crossed thats all the issue, wish I had the tools to tighten it myself. :(

But thanks everyone that's assisted!

Edited by mulla

i had the exact same problem when I first got my rear swaybar. It is due to the lateral movement of the bar, when you go around corners the bar shifts to the left or right (depending on the corner). If it shifts too much there isn't enough clearance for it to move up and down. So when you go over a bump the bar slams into the chassis above it.

here is a picture I made to explain what happens:

th_P9080002e.jpg

Whiteline sell lateral locks for this reason, you might notice your stock bar has these round rings that were next to the bushings, those are the lateral locks.

for my car, I just got a bit of rubber and pipe clamps and they serve as lateral locks just as good and I have had no problems whatsoever :P

th_P9090002e.jpg

Thanks Terry for the detailed explaination and photos. That's what the mechanic also reckon when I called him for it to be re checked. He reckons that's what's happening too that the bar has moved either left or right and he said there's these locks that can prevent this. Going back there this morning, hopefully it'll be fixed once and for all :)

i had the exact same problem when I first got my rear swaybar. It is due to the lateral movement of the bar, when you go around corners the bar shifts to the left or right (depending on the corner). If it shifts too much there isn't enough clearance for it to move up and down. So when you go over a bump the bar slams into the chassis above it.

here is a picture I made to explain what happens:

th_P9080002e.jpg

Whiteline sell lateral locks for this reason, you might notice your stock bar has these round rings that were next to the bushings, those are the lateral locks.

for my car, I just got a bit of rubber and pipe clamps and they serve as lateral locks just as good and I have had no problems whatsoever :P

th_P9090002e.jpg

Strange it didn’t come with something to stop sideways movement in the first place. My Whiteline one did, later version maybe?

Swaybar002.jpg

Hi All,

Thanks everyone for the input. Was told that the swaybar has indeed moved to one side and thus causing it to hit the subframe when I go over a bump. In the end they added the hose clamps excatly as in Terry's photos!! Lol for a moment I thought the mechanic was actually reading these posts :)

But yer they were telling me that the stock bar had the locks to stop sideways movement but the Whiteline didn't. Apparenty they had a chat with Whiteline about this issue as well and hopefully it'll be added to future designs :P

Anyway thanks again for everyone's tips. Also Peddlers who were extremely helpful and patient in the entire process! Sorry couldn't help the advertisement there ;)

mbruce - Did you have the Whiteline BTR39 and you had those rubber rings already there? Hm... interesting.

I think mine is the BTR39Z which is adjustable with two holes, a little stiffer than the BTR39 I think and obviously comes with the rubber rings standard.

I’ve got a front white line one as well, and that to has the rings and is adjustable. Strange why they wouldn’t all have the rings. :huh: