TRH's AW11 MR2

the_random_hero

• 5 weeks later...

Alright, slow progress but progress nonetheless. I have both doors off, they are both completely rust free. Bottom of both A pillars are pretty gnarly, I've cut all the rust out on one side and will try and start stitching it up tomorrow if I can be bothered going into the workshop. Both front guards are ready to be blasted and then painted, I'm going to have them soda blasted and paint them myself in the dodgy booth we have at work. As soon as I'm a bit further, I'll get this damn oil setup happening.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, oil cooler setup #1 was ordered in, found to be wrong (I didn't realise the thermostatic bypass adaptor wasn't for a remote filter >.<) Sent that bit back, thermostat bypass block and remote mount should be coming in early next week - it thankfully cost the same.

Finally remembered to bring my dremel in, I've cut the rear section of rust out and it's all ready to be patched up. I will hopefully have most of the rust sorted this weekend if it all goes to plan...

• 1 month later...

Well, change of plans. Completely got over fixing rust, I'm just going to save and pay somebody to remove it. My brothers partners dad knows a really good bloke not too far from here who is apparently stupid cheap and does everything old school - all new metal, no bog, shapes everything by hand, etc.

I've basically finished the extractors, they turned out pretty damn well (if I do say so myself). They are identical in measurements to the HKS set (last set I saw selling was for $1000, and won't actually fit my car without light modifying). I've started building the muffler I'm going to run - a 600mm barrel with twin 1.75" perforated tube and combination stainless/fibreglass packing. I chose the twin internals as it means I can get twice the amount of muffling in without losing any flow whatsoever - so should be really quiet. I'm hoping to have that finished by the weekend so I can fabricate the rest of the system (custom cat made out of a cat insert, mandrel bent 2.25" stainless tubing).

Image015.jpg

Image017.jpg

It's good to see things are still progressing on this project.

Hurry up and get it running!

Car is now at my brothers place and I have 5 weeks of paid holidays, so there's a good chance I'll have time to do more. I want to sort out the rust now, only that, oil lines and coilovers stopping me from having it on the road.