Service gone Sour

Hey everyone,

i thought i would vent about this...

Anyways, i had booked my car in to get serviced down at my local Toyota dealer yesterday, just for its 100k service, and i was excited to finally be able to get it serviced. Well, as i was sitting at work getting excited for the weekend (its been a loooooong week) i got a call from the dealer saying that my simple and easy $200 service, had now become a $600 service. I wasn't happy about that, but i thought about it, and said that its best if i can get everything running smoothly in the car again...

So the list, well i would have to scan/bluetooth the quote paper in,

but the major things were:

got my gearbox oil changed

i had to get the timing chain replaced, due to the chain apparently had a crack in it

also had my front brake pads changed

and my old pads were actually 'under' the legal limit of 2mm, so some damage was done to the rotors

Rotors machined

the list goes on... <_<

anyways, its all fixed up now, and the car is running smoothly again, just i was a bit devestated when i found out that i had to get the rotors machined (front)

thanks for taking the time to read this ;)

Evo

it's always best to machine the rotors if you're installing new brake pads.

Was the cracked timing chain not done under warranty?

I find it odd that they would be inspecting the timing chain. I'd be asking to see the cracked one.

Well, there was a ticking noise when the engine was running so i asked them to look into it, and thats what it was :o

but its been done now and im not that worried, cause the car is running much better now ;)

Evo

do these run a chain and not a belt?we check most of our customers belts around 80 to 100 thou services,most service manuals recommend what km's to change em,better to change the belt before it snaps as we do a few of them also (mainly Astras & Hyundais & the odd Camry) and its usually consists of head work & parts & labour it gets a bit exspensive and sometimes not worth the fix.

machined rotors go hand in hand with new pads.

anyway $600 sounds about right (esp from Toyota) for cambelt/brakes/service/gearbox oil change and what not so dont feel ripped,ya did alright. :) and the main thing is if she is purrring then its all good.

do these run a chain and not a belt?we check most of our customers belts around 80 to 100 thou services,most service manuals recommend what km's to change em,better to change the belt before it snaps as we do a few of them also (mainly Astras & Hyundais & the odd Camry) and its usually consists of head work & parts & labour it gets a bit exspensive and sometimes not worth the fix.

machined rotors go hand in hand with new pads.

anyway $600 sounds about right (esp from Toyota) for cambelt/brakes/service/gearbox oil change and what not so dont feel ripped,ya did alright. :) and the main thing is if she is purrring then its all good.

Yes, she WAS sounding like a bomb ticking, but now its purrring like a kitten... the engine is super-quiet again :yahoo:

Evo

The moment you mention timing chain/belt, it adds $400-500 to a service (80% of that is labour), so I would say that's good value considering.

Gav.

thanks for the support guys, i think the timing chain is what helps run VVT-i, so yeah, its pricey, but its better that i got it fixed now, and not leave it until the chain would have broken... that could do some serious damage...

Evo

Nah, the timing chain or belt just gets the cams spinning at half the speed of the crank. The VVTi could be implemented by servos in the cam gears or who knows what, I CBF'd looking up how it works. But if it breaks, it can cause monster damage, even on a non interference motor, you will probably root the timing cover in the least.

Cheers, Gav.

Nah, the timing chain or belt just gets the cams spinning at half the speed of the crank. The VVTi could be implemented by servos in the cam gears or who knows what, I CBF'd looking up how it works. But if it breaks, it can cause monster damage, even on a non interference motor, you will probably root the timing cover in the least.

Cheers, Gav.

And if they are an interference engine, you don't want to know the results :P I thought timing belt/chain is always meant to be changed on 100k kms service?

My friend just got her brakes changed and machined. Both front and back. Cost around $500 not from a dealer. so that $600 sounds quite decent for the service

thats a good deal!!

i did a vectra this week, came in for a major, Timing belt + tentioners, plugs, oil, air, fuel, pollen filter...

it left with that + Rocker Cover Gasket leaking, Engine Mount, 2 Tyres, Rotate, Balance, Wheel Alignment, Sway Bar links..

over $2.2k

its very good deal cause if its a chain, it involves taking of the timing cover which needs new gaskets/seals.. anything timing means fore $$ as its more how should i say 'no n00b can do it'? <_<

even better cause a general service is u said $200... think that rotors n pads n timing n gearbox was $400 :o :yahoo:

thats a good deal!!

i did a vectra this week, came in for a major, Timing belt + tentioners, plugs, oil, air, fuel, pollen filter...

it left with that + Rocker Cover Gasket leaking, Engine Mount, 2 Tyres, Rotate, Balance, Wheel Alignment, Sway Bar links..

over $2.2k

its very good deal cause if its a chain, it involves taking of the timing cover which needs new gaskets/seals.. anything timing means fore $$ as its more how should i say 'no n00b can do it'? <_<

even better cause a general service is u said $200... think that rotors n pads n timing n gearbox was $400 :o :yahoo:

those bloody Vectras & Astras (with the euro donks),we did the same on an Astra couple of months back major service,timing belt kit and add a power steering pump,the weird azz one with the computer in it and the owner got little change out of $3500,everytime i priced something on this thing it was worth a small fortune :(

yup astras suck, i did a transaxle ( gearbox on a manual ) the other week, warranty, astra sri, approx $6k just for the box :o :huh: :o :o :o lucky warranty...

and i heard those electric powersteering is expensive :P also $1450 for a alternator :g:

once again good deal on service..

also check out suspension and brakes section, i posted there for a problem i got :angry: