Factory SatNav VS Aftermarket

Steven

Hey guys. My Aurion comes with the factory optioned SatNav unit, looking to upgrade it in the new future so I can plug in my Ipod but I'm not sure which holds better value for money. The other option I'm considering is the aftermarket direct plugin unit that several people have upgraded too. I'm looking for anyone who has experience to help guide me.

For starters

-Factory Satnav (with IPOD plugin)-

Pros

Larger screen

Ipod combatability (acts as another cd changer disk)

Excellent Bluetooth handsfree setup

4 Indash cd changer

Quick to startup and get GPS signal

Factory look menus etc

Cons

Difficult to use, mainly the Satellite navigation

No RCA outs (plan on adding amps later)

Expensive to update maps

bright backlight at night

CD changer only accepts CDs, which means no mp3 DVD disks (don't really care about movies)

No PAUSE or fastforward/rewind of track function

-Aftermarket Unit-

Pros

Ipod Combatability (built in)

DVD Player (not really a priority but still might be handy)

RCA outputs/inputs

Easily updated maps

?

?

Cons

Slightly smaller screen

Unsure

GPS connection speed?

Startup speed?

Bluetooth connection speed and reliability?

Ease of use?

Backlight?

Built in amplifier output (just a temp FYI interest)?

Quality?

If anyones able to shed some more light on these units, mostly in comparison to the standard unit, it'd be great. I'm looking at a very similar cost between switching to aftermarket or just going IPOD plugin with the standard unit.

When you ask which one will hold it's value better, I would have to say the factory sat/nav unit. They don't really hold much value anyways, but the margin is slightly higher.

If you simply want to add iPod functionality, you would probably be best off to buy an iPod interface. It will be cheaper for you. Otherwise, if you want to get an aftermarket sat/nav with similar or better functionality and be of good quality, be prepared to spend upwards of $1500. I'd recommend a unit such as the Eclipse AVN6000. You will need to bear in mind though that these units will not fit in as cleanly as your stock unit. Apart from that, there are no other disadvantages when you compare it to stock.

Alternatively you have cheaper OEM style sat/nav units (<$1000), but a common issue with these is that the interface on them does look pretty cheap. As well, if you are after iPod functionality, I wouldn't bother looking into the Auspack unit. It doesn't handle that too well.

If you do look for an aftermarket unit and want one with better navigation capabilities, you should look for one that can accept a larger range of navigation software. Such units will say they run on Windows CE. That way you can run software such as iGO8, which after using it for a while, I find is really clean and friendly. As well, it has a cold boot time (from turning on to obtaining your position) of under 15-20 seconds which is pretty good.

Eclipse and Alpine are good aftermarket units for your car, before i installed mine, i am looking at the Eclipse AVN6000 and Alpine IVA-502e. Eventually settle for the Alpine as the Eclipse AVN6000 does not allow you to dial your phone numbers from the screen. (it has been in the market for around 4 years now). At that point of time, the newer Eclipse unit are not available in Australia, but now the AVN726EA is available. It would be a much better unit though..

As for navigation, i think the Alpine loses out in comparison with the Eclipse unit, it just have the basic features, nothing fancy.. Also if you buy the Alpine unit, u have to add Bluetooth, Ipod, Reverse Camera, Steering Wheel Controls etc which is additional cost. For Eclipse, the new unit already has Built-in Bluetooth and if i am not wrong, it doesn't need the steering wheel control adapter.. but i am not sure how much it cost though.. should be pretty expensive.

The boot up time for Alpine and Eclipse are pretty fast, both only a few secs..

Thanks guys for your replies. My fault though what I meant by in aftermarket was those made as a direct aftermarket replacement, ie the auspack units.

I've done a search and it looks like the auspack units seem a bit slow and clumsy - they have the features but aren't overly good with any one feature. I've found several other similar units, some with an 8" screen that look pretty good, but there's not alot written on them.

So be specific I'm looking for other direct OEM look units other than the auspack. At the same time I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone whos taken the standard satnav unit and the ipod module and/or line out converter for connecting amps.

... some with an 8" screen that look pretty good, but there's not alot written on them.

The most I've heard was a case of the screen failing on these, but that could have been a lemon.

So be specific I'm looking for other direct OEM look units other than the auspack.

Unfortunately there aren't too many out there. If you were after a decent one, you would defintely be looking into the $1400+ mark as anything below that price is a little crap on the interface.

At the same time I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone whos taken the standard satnav unit and the ipod module and/or line out converter for connecting amps.

For the iPod module, SupaTouring would be the person to ask. He doesn't have the sat/nav though, but on the standard CD player, he says it works great.

As for the line out converter, if you get a decent one (some amplifiers even have them built in), you should get no noticeable drop in audio quality. Some line-out converters even have electronic processing to clean the signal.

I took my factory unit out and replaced with the Auspack unit. You are correct in most of your assumptions. The best thing for me was the lighting at night is a lot better as the buttons are lit up, not the whole panel. You can use the unit while moving and you can use the usb for music. iPod, I have in the glove box.

The factory GPS is much better than either the Tomtom or Igo8, but as you know there is no speed shown or speed cameras (although Igo8 camera alert is too loud and too long in terms of it starting a few blocks away and blocks out your music) and Tomtom does not have the speed camera facility with the version you get. You have to pay for it on a subscription basis on the tomtom website (about $40 per annum)

The factory bluetooth is also better and clearer as it uses the built in mic up near the mirror. The auspac bluetooth is unreliable and slow and does not interface with your steering wheel controls. I notice that the factory unit I took out is a Fujitsu 10 "made in Japan" and the Auspac is made in China. The GPS antenna also has a different connection and so I installed the Auspack one next to the factory one. I was able to use my factory installed camera, although not a straight forward interface and a lot of cutting and splicing wires.

Overall for the money the Auspac is OK and I have seen the same unit on Ebay for around $700.00. Personally I think Toyota should have put more thought into the unit as the bright blue panels at night nearly put me off buying the car altogether. You may be able to dim the panels as DJKOR pointed out by putting something behind the bulbs to cut down the light.

Tomtom does not have the speed camera facility with the version you get. You have to pay for it on a subscription basis on the tomtom website (about $40 per annum)

On the tomtom you just need the ov2 file, you can set distance from camera before warning.

File is only 11KB, if you want to try it, let me know.

Tomtom does not have the speed camera facility with the version you get. You have to pay for it on a subscription basis on the tomtom website (about $40 per annum)

On the tomtom you just need the ov2 file, you can set distance from camera before warning.

File is only 11KB, if you want to try it, let me know.

I would be most grateful if you could help me get it working.........thanks

• 2 months later...

backlighting hasnt been an issue for me in the factory GPS.

Cons

no dvd playback

no RCA outs

apart from that im totally happy with it.

got a map update off the net.

they have an ipod kit now? i thought it wasnt available so i bought a fm transmitter

Edited by Freddo

Thanks guys for your replies. My fault though what I meant by in aftermarket was those made as a direct aftermarket replacement, ie the auspack units.

I've done a search and it looks like the auspack units seem a bit slow and clumsy - they have the features but aren't overly good with any one feature. I've found several other similar units, some with an 8" screen that look pretty good, but there's not alot written on them.

So be specific I'm looking for other direct OEM look units other than the auspack. At the same time I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone whos taken the standard satnav unit and the ipod module and/or line out converter for connecting amps.

Ive got the standard satnav unit and running two amps off it......Im also looking to find how i can conect my ipod to the system...

Ive got the standard satnav unit and running two amps off it......Im also looking to find how i can conect my ipod to the system...

how? by high to low voltage converter?

did u use a pre-amp?

That's the only way to connect an amp to the stock head unit.

do you loose much quality this way?

im told using a pre-amp can give u an as good a setup as with a aftermarket system

im told using a pre-amp can give u an as good a setup as with a aftermarket system

Using a converter wont give you a noticeable difference in quality as I once discussed with DJKOR, however when I spoke to a installer about his quote was "if anything shorts it will blow the ***** out of your head unit". Needless to say he recommended I change to a headunit with preouts if I wanted to install an amp.

Using a converter wont give you a noticeable difference in quality as I once discussed with DJKOR, however when I spoke to a installer about his quote was "if anything shorts it will blow the ***** out of your head unit". Needless to say he recommended I change to a headunit with preouts if I wanted to install an amp.

I used a converter with my head unit, Quality awsome sound blowing off my doors..

• 1 month later...

internet searching found following for factory satnavs

http://coastaletech.com/lockpick2.htm - seems to allow A/V inputs for the screen plus a few other features

http://www.vaistech.com/products/sl2vi.php - Ipod related connectivity.

Probably already been brought up here somewhere before