Yaris Pod Filter

oodee

Just wanted to see if anyone had bothered with putting a pod filter onto a yaris to make it a little louder... i'm not looking for more power, i know how unlikely that is with this engine.

or if the panel filter changes the note at all???

K&N have pods for the 1.5L engine (http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=1321) would that be any good on the 1.3L?

Just wanted to see if anyone had bothered with putting a pod filter onto a yaris to make it a little louder... i'm not looking for more power, i know how unlikely that is with this engine.

or if the panel filter changes the note at all???

K&N have pods for the 1.5L engine (http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=1321) would that be any good on the 1.3L?

I have an AFE SRI Intake that i got from the US. That was made for the 1.5, but it fits the 1.3 as well.

This is a pic of it installed in my car.

intake.jpg

You might want to check our the Yarisworld forums as well for other options and other information. Its where i found out about most of my stuff.

you are right, i should go elsewhere for yaris stuff. there's not too much here.

how much did that set up set you back? And can you get a fully enclosed one? or is that good enough for Qld Trans

you are right, i should go elsewhere for yaris stuff. there's not too much here.

how much did that set up set you back? And can you get a fully enclosed one? or is that good enough for Qld Trans

Queit abit...from memory about $200-250 AUD. Since its a kit, but you could get away with making up your own custom kit. You can prob get an enclosed one with a shield around it maybe, but i don't think i've seen one. Im not sure about the rules in QLD, but the chances of someone checking you for it is rare.

Have a look on - http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/

I'm looking into this aFe intake as well. However.. I'm wondering if the pod will get wet when it rains heavily or when you wash the car..

Ruimond? Care to share your experience? :unsure:

I'm looking into this aFe intake as well. However.. I'm wondering if the pod will get wet when it rains heavily or when you wash the car..

Ruimond? Care to share your experience? :unsure:

I've had it on my car for probably half a year to a year now. And have never run into any problems with it after a wash or even driving in the rain with it. My car is left outside most the time and has experienced some heavy rains on it, and has never really soaked up water or anything. Has been running good ever since i got it. So yeh no problems ever with rain/water.

I am about to do a pod filter install on my partners yaris... since the AEM, etc CAI kits you can buy are stupidly expensive, I will probably do something custom. will let you know how i go with it.

EDIT: have got a mate who can make up the pipe for me.

I will post pics and details once its all done :D

Edited by mick.wheelz

I am about to do a pod filter install on my partners yaris... since the AEM, etc CAI kits you can buy are stupidly expensive, I will probably do something custom. will let you know how i go with it.

EDIT: have got a mate who can make up the pipe for me.

I will post pics and details once its all done :D

thanks for that.

I had a ces cai on my stivo for a little while and i really miss the induction sound. i know i'll be getting nothing like that sound... but i want some sound at least, to know my car is idling without having to check the revs lol

I would be very interested to see what else is on the market out there... I could go and see uncle trev at CES, but doubt he'd have anything in stock for the yaris

Just has to be secured for QT, they can technically get you for emissions or a driveby noise test but that's if you just get a very picky cop.

Is that true?

Last I heard it had to be fully enclosed. I'll do some research and see what I can find regarding it and keep it in my car if I need to.

I have tried searching regarding the laws on pod filters in NSW. But I can't seem to find where it is documented that it has to be "enclosed" or "mounted properly". I saw the VIC laws stating that it has to be a DRY filter and not an oiled one.

What is considered enclosed anyway?

Just pull off your intake resonator.. then you will get the intake sound. Just a cheaper option.

Does the yaris actualy have an intake resonator? I could not see one on mine...

Just pull off your intake resonator.. then you will get the intake sound. Just a cheaper option.

Does the yaris actualy have an intake resonator? I could not see one on mine...

Yeah it does. its the pipe that is in front of the airbox, you can just disconnect it.

here is a 'mockup' of the pod installation, just to see if it will work, where the pod fits, etc.

The final version will be one piece of bent stainless steel pipe.

dodgy_intake1.jpg

dodgy_intake2.jpg

the MAF is now mounted in a piece of silicon hose with a small plastic hose protruding from it.

No CEL, and i think there is a small increase in performance... it certainly growls a bit more now

I took my 'resonator' off and it just... 'noise' LOL

didnt like it but when i tried to put it back on i didnt do it properly and it came loose while driving somewhere lol...

got 2 duct tape to fill in the gap now and does its job of keeping the noise down ! lol...

the MAF is now mounted in a piece of silicon hose with a small plastic hose protruding from it.

You forgot to mention the crucial part.... duct tape.

You forgot to mention the crucial part.... duct tape.

duct tape is like the force... it has a light side, a dark side... and it holds the universe together.

*NOTE: the final version will have a welded plate for the MAF, not duct tape.