information on handling and braking upgrades for a 96 camry

sikwitit

hey everybody since im not going with 20s and airbags anymore now going for 19s and i want to improve handling and braking and also add some wow factor to the camry i have looked on various web sites and found ksport and they have a range of coilovers and big brake kits for camrys was looking at getting

ksport Kontrol Pro Damper System coilovers $1500 us

12 Inch Procomp Front Big Brake Kit $2400 us

info

6 Piston Aluminum calipers

D.O.T. Compliant Stainless steel brake lines

Machined aluminum hats

Carbon steel brackets

304mm (12") large ventilated discs (16" wheels required)

High quality Ksport SC5 street brake pads (RC1 race pads available for additional cost)

and the rear brakes im going to upgrade with dba rotors and pads

then get front and rear sway bars anybody know where i can get them for a v6 not a 4cyl

and have found a strut bar in the states for the v6

and also a venom piggyback computer

what does everyone thing of this set up or should i go with something else

sean

links

http://www.ksportusa.com/asp/brake_kits_de...product_id=bk08

http://www.ksportusa.com/asp/coilovers_det...product_id=cd01

http://www.andysautosport.com/toyota/1992_...ee00040815.html

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/performanc...ement_Piggyback

Edited by sikwitit

6 piston calipers???? lol!!

i dont think a camry is capable of going fast enough to warrant 6 piston calipers....

personally, if youre not going to be track racing it properly, dont waste all your money on that brake stuff. for street driving you wont get any more performance out of it than just a good brake service, good pads and rotors (i'd suggest bendix performance pads and dba rotors on all 4 corners). and if you were going to be going for that brake upgrade to warrant the full benefit of its use, you'd also have to start looking at channeling from air to ventilate the wheel arches properly (eg. look at the audi b7 rs4 and the vents on the front fender channeling air onto the brakes to prevent overheating)

the strut setup may be worth looking at though

Which year/trim model of camry do you have again?

There is a very cheap upgrade that you can do if your camry isnt the "touring" or "grande" versions. These 2 have the upgraded twin piston calipers from factory. I'm running them on my gen4 at the moment. Just find a set from the wreckers and clean them up. Then bolt them on. You will need new pads though.

For handling, there isnt anything better than a whiteline rear sway bar. It transforms the handling completely. And coilovers are good if you dont mind the constantly bumpy ride (our roads arent the best). However saying that I have some on my car and I've set it to hard. I'm used to the bumpiness and dont actually notice it anymore. Furthermore, if you are really into the handling side, I'd suggest nice rubber shoes for your wheels. Not the "nankangs or similar budget tyres" but I'm talking B Potenza's Adrenalines, Falken FK452 at least! No point doing all these upgrades if your tyres are just going to slide around anyways.

Edited by STYLSH

fatter rear sway bars help the wheels resist gaining opposite camber during hard cornering, and stay closer to the correct alignment setting. basically it helps your tyres grip the road better.

it's the desired upgrade as opposed to dramatically changing the camber and castor setting to get the same effect on reducing roll camber

for fwd cars, fatter sway bars are highly recommended as an upgrade due to all the torque being biased to the front end. if the rear end is resisiting being thrown around more, then the front will be more evenly loaded and maintain optimal grip levels = sharper steering

Edited by lateralus

fatter rear sway bars help the wheels resist gaining opposite camber during hard cornering, and stay closer to the correct alignment setting. basically it helps your tyres grip the road better.

it's the desired upgrade as opposed to dramatically changing the camber and castor setting to get the same effect on reducing roll camber

for fwd cars, fatter sway bars are highly recommended as an upgrade due to all the torque being biased to the front end. if the rear end is resisiting being thrown around more, then the front will be more evenly loaded and maintain optimal grip levels = sharper steering

what hea said!

perfectly put.

The model Camry you have has a very soft chassis, they flex like crazy going into my driveway anyhow (you can especially hear it around the front doors/B pillars). Putting on 20s and coils will transmit a lot more load into the chassis, so you might want to consider so decent chassis upgrade. Like a 4 point roll-cage with taxi and intrusion bars, that ought to do it. I am serious BTW. :P

I used to love watching the 300hp SDV10 4cyls in GT-Production racing. Their brakes sounded evil!

Gav.