My new Corolla got scratches: What should I do?

Hi guys,

I am from Sydney and a newbie here, just found this forum through browsing. I hope you guys can help to give me your input to my problem. :(

Posted the same topic in General Discussion but since this sub forum is more popular and my new car is still a Corolla I thought this is still related and I am hoping to get more replies and views from you guys ...

You also can reply here:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=2253

Here is my story:

I just bought a new Corolla Ascent and when I would like to pick it up last weekend, I found that there are scratches around the door handles (on every single door). I have been told that this is a new car and I paid for the new price but I suspect that this is a demo car.

Could it be the case? How do I differentiate between demo car and new car?

The scratches are pretty obvious from close inspection but the dealer kept saying that there are not any scratches. Now the dealer agreed to polish the car (even though the salesman has tried to polish it while I am there) but I am still afraid that this is NOT a new car. I haven't seen the car again after the polishing and I had refused to pay them the full amount until I see it again. But I really have doubts now whether to proceed with this transaction .... :(

Do you guys have/heard any similar situation before? Is this normal to pay 20K +++ and you didn't get a "smooth" new car? Should I ask for another new car? or should I just forfeit my deposit and get another new car from another dealer????

This dealer seemed a bit dodgy to me after they said they can't see the scratches ...

Talked to the manager also. Actually the salesman admitted that he saw the scratches and that's why he tried to polished them. But it was unsuccessful.

But only when the manager came out he then turn around his thinking and said that he sees no scratches also.

Left me thinking, gees man, if you didn't see the scratches, what the hell were you polishing just now????

The manager in fact a bit pushy, try to intimidate and said that he can't see the scratches and I have to paid up the money ... And he also said that the scratches will appear anyway after I used the car .... (but 20K+++ is a big money to me and the scratches seen in used car is actually the main reason why I am buying new instead ... :( )

Please help to advise and thanks in advance!

Glad to have found this forum.

Cheers.

i believe when dealers try to polish the car they often make it worse as they want to do it cheaply and fast.

if it is a demo it should have some mileage on it.

if the dealer was unable to polish out the scratches then i guess the scratches are deep and have cut through the clear coat. for light scratches like the ones cause by finger nails opening the door you can typically hide these with a cut and polish.

if you are really not happy with it refuse to accept it stand on your grounds and ask the dealer to hand you another car. is it from south africa or japan?

i know you are spending good money for a new car but it is only a corolla. i am so over my ascent it is from south africa and the build is poor. i received it with swirls (light scratches) over the car, a patch of different colour in the drivers door (possibly repaired from an accident) and the bonnet had snail tracks underneath the clear coat which i got repainted under warranty but the authorised toyota repairer made the bonnet worse as they neglected to do a thorough job and left all edges unpainted which upon close eye is raw grey!

Edited by kcorro

I'm a professional car detailer and have had some of my customers take me to the dealership to inspect the car before taking delivery of it. If I'm not satisified with the cleanliness/condition of the vehicle they wont take delivery of it. I love it;they pay me to stand there with the dealership's so called detailers and pick all the faults in the car. The end result is a perfect car and a happy customer.

I'm not in Sydney but if I were you find a highly reputable detailer and get him to look at the car first. It's amazing what the trained eye picks up that your eyes don't. It might cost a bit but in the end you get what you want- a perfect new car.

I'm in Brisbane so if anybody in here is buying a new car then I'm more than happy to have a look at a car for you. My time is limited so weekends are better. All TOCAU members I will do special prices for. PM me if you want to know more.

cheers SILVABULLIT :D :D

I'm a professional car detailer and have had some of my customers take me to the dealership to inspect the car before taking delivery of it. If I'm not satisified with the cleanliness/condition of the vehicle they wont take delivery of it. I love it;they pay me to stand there with the dealership's so called detailers and pick all the faults in the car. The end result is a perfect car and a happy customer.

I'm not in Sydney but if I were you find a highly reputable detailer and get him to look at the car first. It's amazing what the trained eye picks up that your eyes don't. It might cost a bit but in the end you get what you want- a perfect new car.

I'm in Brisbane so if anybody in here is buying a new car then I'm more than happy to have a look at a car for you. My time is limited so weekends are better. All TOCAU members I will do special prices for. PM me if you want to know more.

cheers SILVABULLIT :D  :D

Silvabullit,

Thanks for your comments here. That is very interesting idea. I never heard about car detailer job before in my life and it is probably what I need now.

Since you are professional, I believe you have seen so many new cars before, do you mind to share your experience for me?

Like us, as a buyer, what are our rights if we think the car condition is not acceptable? Are we entitled to ask for a new car if the car given is not in acceptable condition? I understand that sometimes scratches are very subjective. It may be okay for one person but not okay for others. So, how do we set the standard here? Is the standard is "perfect" condition? Well, to me, since I am paying 20K+ which is very big money (to me), that is why I am expecting though. But I am just afraid that kind of standard doesn't exist here.

Have you come across to a situation whereby you suspect the dealer might have given your client a demo car? I am just wondering how do you justify your opinion to them because of course the dealer wouldn't admit that it is a demo car, right?

Have you come across a situation whereby your client succesfully get a new car because you are not satisfied with the condition? Do you mind share your experience here?

Thanks in advance Silvabullit!

I've had a customer refuse to take a car on my advice due to paint issues and they told the dealer to fix it or give me another car. They fixed the problems (some scratches and blobs in the paintwork) but I said the repair could be better. The dealer then had another attempt and got it to what I considered to be satisfactory.

Remember the old saying "the customer is always right" and you have the right to either accept the car or tell them to fix it. The more noise you make the quicker and better they'll fix it in most situations.

I've never had a customer whose car I've looked at go away unhappy. they get what they want or i tell them to take their business elsewhere. Dealerships don't like losing to the opposition and if it means spending a couple of hundred in paint repairs or detailing to retain a sale they'll do it.

Demo's are easy to pick. Check cleanliness of brakes,wheels,wheelarches for road use. Check paintwork for obvious scratches and marks from use. As far as the interior is concerned check fabric on seats for small signs of wear, seat belts and marks around pillars and door trims where seat belt hits trim. Wear marks on carpets and pedals, door sill trims with scuff marks are also really obvious. The easy one is speedo and trip meter readings(shouldn't be more than about 30 odd k's) and of course tyre wear.

Check all these out and everything should be to your likening.

Cheers SILVABULLIT :D

Demo's are easy to pick. Check cleanliness of brakes,wheels,wheelarches for road use. Check paintwork for obvious scratches and marks from use. As far as the interior is concerned check fabric on seats for small signs of wear, seat belts and marks around pillars and door trims where seat belt hits trim. Wear marks on carpets and pedals, door sill trims with scuff marks are also really obvious. The easy one is speedo and trip meter readings(shouldn't be more than about 30 odd k's) and of course tyre wear.

Check all these out and everything should be to your likening.

Cheers SILVABULLIT :D

Thanks for sharing, Silvabullit. That will certainly come in handy this weekend.

So if i can pick up those details, then what should I say to them? :(

"I think this car is a demo car based on such and such and I would like to get a new car and not this one because the condition is just unacceptable?"

What kind of replies that I should expect from them and how to avoid it? Any major lesson that you have learnt from dealing with this kind of dealership and how to avoid it?

Thanks again for your help Silvabullit. If you are in Sydney I will really consider hiring you this weekend to help me talk to them. Is your service expensive? ;)

Cheers.

Silvabullit,

Can you recommend me a reputable car detailer in Sydney? Preferably with this kind of experience and able to help me talk to the dealer. I think I need one this weekend. Do you mind also to share how much is your service? (with the discount applies :D) If you don't want to post it here, could you please PM me?

How do you charge your service? Is it per visit or per hour or per car basis?

Thanks man. Cheers.