MY MURAL PROJECT

JJCRU23R

gday,

Im currently in the process of collecting images of artists/musicians to enlarge and paint on the walls of the corridor outside of my classrooms. Since I share this pathway with Music and my subject area is Visual Arts, I thought Id have a go at creating a mural in the very uninspiring white walls which currently inhabit the coridors.

Although I dont want to go into too much detail into each image, I do however aim to put LOTS of artists up on the walls. Once enlarged and painted each portrait/head would be upto around my height which is rougly 160-170cm in height. Full body portraits would be lifesize or close to it.

Although the selection criteria is pretty subjective.. I am only considering singers/musicians who are considered ICONS because of their overall image, style of music and recognition as the best at whatever they do.

NO ONE HIT WONDERS.

The artists I have found so far are considered popular amongst the students I teach.

To give you guys an idea of the types of images I am trying to find, here are the pics I have found thus far..

the following few I am 99% sure I will include:

2Pac_by_Locryn.jpg

Biggie_Smalls_by_phaze05.jpg

Hee_Hee_by_PublicSecrecy.png

marilyn_manson_vetor.jpg

deciding whether to use this:

The-Beatles-the-beatles-2985503-102.jpg

or this: (just the silhouettes, and possibly the zebra crossing that went with it)

The_Beatles_by_berjack.jpg

looking to find a possibly better image of:

bob_marley_food.jpg

As you can see, these pics would be pretty simple to do on large scale. (simple as in I can trace the lines and not too much shading).

Overall, Im trying to get this similar to SinCity colours in that the images are only black/white with splashes of red or any other colour which would seem appropriate.

NOW.. what Im asking of you good folk...

I need to find artworthy images of the following artists:

**Rock N Roll**

*Elvis *eyes closed, mouth open as if he was singing

*Angus of AC/DC + guitar doing that fancy kick/walk he does(if possible)

*Freddie Mercury of Queen *1 fist in the air, the other preferebly on a mic

*Tenacious D

*Mick Jaggar *in full screaming mode..

*Jimmy Barnes *full screaming mode

*Steve Tyler from Aerosmith *full screaming mode

*Lenny Kravitz *guitar in hand

**FEMALES/pop**

please no naked/sexually suggestive pics.. SFW images yea?

*Britney

*Christina Aguelera

*Alicia Keys + piano

*Beyonce + 2 back up dancers IE single ladies video clip

*Mariah

*Pink

*CHICK FROM GARBAGE

*CINDY LAUPER

*MICHAEL JACKSON zombie walking with accompanying zombies ala THRILLER. - this particular pic would look great when viewed from far down the end of the corridor.

Obviously I cant get all of these done within the space of a few weeks but if I at least get a decent collection of images together, it would put me much further than I am now.

Any other suggestions for artists please post pics up here ASAP.

If you can photoshop your images into something similar to what you see above with my images, please do so! it would save me much time!

ALL HELP AND CONTRIBUTIONS MUCH APPRECIATED!

JASE!

Edited by mannyMANNYmanny

First band pretty much done:

I put the image on overhead projector. Needed the Beatles to stretch 86-88 inches from left to right so the projector was about 6 metres from the whiteboard. I traced the pattern onto long rolls of paper which i taped together to match the size.. then I bladed the pattern out and stuck it up on the wall so I can trace it directly onto the wall from there. I initially tried using the overhead directly onto the wall in the corridor, but all 4 faces stretched out to maybe 1/3 of the way across the wall.

I started on Friday during lunch and my free period.. I only had Ringo and John painted by the end of Friday. The first pic was taken just after I got started on Paul and George this afternoon.

P6070325.jpg

All done except for Johns and Pauls missing right nostrils.

P6070329.jpg

thanks.. ive been recieving mounting pressure from the students to get michael jackson up on the wall ASAP. ive been searching long and hard for a decent pic to blow up 3 metres tall at least.

any help guys?

saads, ive tried to view them but apparently i dont have "permission" to?

freddie was on my list i think? would be great if i could somehow view them.

the first one is nice.. the 2nd one might be hard for most to make sense of if I left out the background.

will try to find a larger version of the first! thanks!

i know this would be a bit of a challenge, but is there any suitable pics of michael jacksons face that i could possibly fade in the background behind the full body portrait of mj?

kram.. ?

is that the guy who sang black betty the other year? supergrass..supertramp or something.. aussie band yea?

to be honest i was kinda suprised at the lack of feedback i was getting when i first posted this thread... like i said before your input is much appreciated!

here are other pics im considering, all in random order mind you.

Santana.jpg

PeterGarrett.jpg

justin-timberlake-gq-magazine-march.jpg

portadacb1.jpg

pnk.jpg

pelvis.jpg

ray_charles1.jpg

0309-Britney_Spears-Wallpaper.jpg

BTW,

chick from Garbage is Shirley Manson :)

but i dont think she is well known enough.

I personally love the band and everything they have done but not to many people know them apart from their song "cherry lips"

just wondering if there are any artists worth putting up that i havent mentioned already?

ive got pics of the following..

KING of rock n roll

GODFATHER of soul

KING OF POP.. anyone with a label like this that i have left out?

Kiss_the_sky_cover.jpg

Michael_.jpg

Mraz.jpg

yekan.jpg

madonna-1.jpg

mj.jpg

mother.jpg

a much simplified version of these possibly:

Rock_.jpg

thriller.jpg

garbage girl would be good... her last name is manson isnt it?

i am trying to find a close to even ratio of males to females on the walls... so far it looks like its gonna turn out to be a sausage fest on the walls.. gotta respect the females.

im thinking christina aguelera, diana ross, whitney, mariah, cindy lauper, alanis, kylie... anyone got pics of any of these females that would be considered SFW, especially since im teaching years 7-10.

if ive left anyone out please let me know!

BTW,

chick from Garbage is Shirley Manson

dont think she is well known enough.

I personally love the band and everything they have done but not to many people know them apart from their song "cherry lips"

garbage girl would be good... her last name is manson isnt it?

i am trying to find a close to even ratio of males to females on the walls... so far it looks like its gonna turn out to be a sausage fest on the walls.. gotta respect the females.

im thinking christina aguelera, diana ross, whitney, mariah, cindy lauper, alanis, kylie... anyone got pics of any of these females that would be considered SFW, especially since im teaching years 7-10.

if ive left anyone out please let me know!

yes it is.

Edited by Madrox

Kram...Spiderbait,this mural wall needs more of an Australian feel,to many yanks on your list. ;)

the poor or lack of response from TOCAU members is prolly because this is an automotive forum not music/performers forum...at a guess. :unsure:

anyway good luck,i think it's a great thred & top idea for your students & school...well done.

I do agree that the number of Australian acts are outnumbered by the US acts, but ive asked almost every one of my classes and discussed the rock and roll acts and the majority of acts they could think of in terms of rock came from overseas. CKY, NIN, metallica, queen, Van Halen, marilyn manson, Alice cooper...outnumbered aussie acts such as jet, wolfmother.

I am not trying to exclude aussie acts, its just fact that the kids i teach, regardless of whether they listen to rock, pop or hip hop.. their favourite acts are from overseas.

Im trying to reach a balance of male and female,new and old, rap + r+b hip hop, rock and pop music. The Aussie acts have to somehow fit within those categories.

its interesting that in my subject (visual arts), while im required to teach aboriginal/ aussie art, it only counts for a very small part of the stuff i teach. regardless of which subject you may teach, you gotta include aussie or aboriginal material in your work... but its impossable to make ALL of my subject about aussie stuff.

basically what im saying is i while i think its important to include aussie acts, im not going to shove it down their throats and paint it on the walls if that is now what they are asking me to put up.

Aussie acts I hope to put up include:

JET

Wolfmother

ACDC

COLD CHISEL/Jimmy Barnes

Diesel

Kylie

Kate Cebrano

demi hines

marcia hines

(are there any relevant indigenous acts i should include? acts that are already considered mainstream or common knowledge?)

yothu hindi, and blind aboriginal singer who had is portrait included in the archibald prize this year is all i can think of at this point of time... or a random aboriginal elder sitting on the floor on a didgeridoo..

Anyway.. my personal hope is that students are inspired by whoever is up on those walls and what they have achieved.. or they could be motivated to try to create great artwork based on what they see painted on the corridors... in hopes that they too would also think big and achieve bigger. i hope that made sense.

Did i mention im not being paid any extra to do any of this.. but a large number of kids i teach seem to be lacking in enthusiasm for any of their subjects, let alone music and visual arts which is what is why im bothering to do it. i just hope some good comes of it.