MY MURAL PROJECT

JJCRU23R

cuppas id SO do that angus pic if only the whole guitar was in the pic.. i can handle the bottom end of the guitar being cut off, but the tuning end of the guitar is cut off on the right side... i dont want to depict a guitar if its not like.. anatomically correct. if you can find the same pic complete with the knob end id totally include it!

SIMO! looks good!

im trying to decide whether to dedicate a wall to ONLY aussie performers, or whether to go with the original plan and group them together based on their musical style - rap/pop/disco/country/rock.

but since we have a fair population of islanders whove come through NZ to move to Australia, would be nice to include NZ acts with the Aussie groups.. im thinking of the Finn boys and other certain NZ acts easily mistaken for Aussie bands. any thoughts?

i been thinking of ways to somehow link all the different musicians together and i just realised i can split them up according to which instrument thèy use.. Microphone,guitar or piano. All i gotta do is draw the appropriate instrument in the centre and place the portraits around it..

The MJ mural has begun...

Did this today,.. oops i mean yesterday (tuesday). 10.30/11am thru to 1.55pm.

P6140484.jpg

P6150486.jpg

gotta love the timer feature on cameras... i wanted to be in the pic too?!

P6150488.jpg

P6150489.jpg

P6150490.jpg

P6150491.jpg

P6150492.jpg

P6150493.jpg

P6150494.jpg

quite literally half done painting.

P6150495.jpg

after this michael, im planning on doing maybe 3 more + a portrait of young afro michael in that same space.

The Beatles + logo and missing nostrils DONE.

P6160497.jpg

Michael Jackson (part1) DONE.

Im roughly 5foot5/6 if that gives you any indication of how tall this thing is.. i sooo wanted him taller than this.

P6160498.jpg

P6160499.jpg

Kinda sad but what else was I gonnna do with the stencil? Thank you Michael! Thank you Michael! Thank you Michael!

P6160502.jpg

This is all im able to do today... photocopy room and my staff room are both shut down so no electricity to print or prepare anything else for my classes next term so ima pick up the wife and kids..

did i mention its SOOO nice being in school to do this stuff without having to teach or go on duty or anything else to distract me from what Im working on...

Edited by mannyMANNYmanny

Kinda sad but what else was I gonnna do with the stencil? Thank you Michael! Thank you Michael! Thank you Michael!

P6160502.jpg

i would have rolled it up and put it in a post pack tube and kept it.....or in prior to cutting it have had it laminated so as will keep longer then etc....laminate then cut bits out

but ne way.....who cares it looks awesome....great work mate

That was actually a really good idea. I was thinking what if the painting gets vandalized how would i repair it?

i can still fish it out of the bin.. in fact im 100% the bin hasnt moved since taking the photo.

I still have the beatles stencil in another room too.. will find a decent post roll and do exactly that. thanks jaderd!

what happened on 17/07/09.. i did attempt to do MJ in his thriller phase, but decent quality full body still shots of the video clip are very hard to come by.. i went as far as blading out the stencil... but it didnt work out.

the rest of my time was spent rearranging the classroom and working out which pic to put up next. since ive already done the king of pop, i had a go at doing the king of rock n roll...

P6180511.jpg

as you can see i havent bladed the stencil out... just stuck it up to see if the thing would actually fit in that spot. im pretty sure i put the original pic up in an earlier post. this is situated on the wall directly opposite to michael jackson. i like this image since you have to look up at elvis and he looks like hes looking down from heaven at everyone who walks through the door.

very hard to make out what i put on that pic.. but heres what ive drawn on there:

pelvis.jpg

ive got preliminary sketches of a couple other walls i want to do based on the themes i mentioned earlier... <1>"GUITAR HEROS" (kinda corny but its for high school students)and <2> "PIANO something somethings".. (still working on that particular title..)

if anyone here has really classic images of guitarists or pianists doing their thing, please post those pics up here!! thanks!

Edited by mannyMANNYmanny

• 1 month later...

i changed my mind on elvis.. instead of placing a portrait of his face, i decided to go hard on elvis and place a full body portrait of elvis right next to m.jackson... makes sense, and michael looks pretty lonely up there by himself.

unfortunately ive wasted at least 3 hours doing stencils i wont even use... heres pics of the work done for not.

12082009001.jpg

please excuse the fact i still got to rotate this...

26092009003.jpg

close up of the full body elvis stencil.. thought it looked good until...

26092009001.jpg

as you can see here, comparing size, michael looks a mighty bit bigger. NOT HAPPY.

elvisasppire.jpg

this is closer to the size i had envisioned... could have sworn i had the measurements accurate but as it turns out - not accurate enough.

these pics are actually of the 2nd full body elvis i drew out.

the first full body elvis was destroyed by several students after i left the picture hanging up on the wall over the weekend. stayed home on the following monday coz i had the flu over the weekend and the room was trashed (what do you expect when casual teachers take over your classroom...

not giving up yet.. will make my next attempt to continue the project next week.

• 1 year later...

UPDATE!

totally forgot to mention I added a new portrait to the mural during the half yearly school holidays:

Bob Marley.. based on the demands of the music students.. who they wanted up on the wall next-

marley1.jpg

marley2.jpg

marley3.jpg

marley4.jpg

34335_475546528571_532663571_6468327_3164166_n.jpg

Its also worth mentioning that while I in the school by myself, I happened to see a couple of could be best described as ghosts in the corridor during the process of painting marley. The first time I saw this cloud shaped like a person walking down the corridor and through the wall, the next day I just noticed what could be best described as a head loooking over my shoulder as I paint! I just assumed that the thing was just watching me paint... so I kept the music loud to stop my mind going crazy and finished the portrait without going nuts that I was by myself in the building.

Edited by JJCRU23R