Cost of cool cars

Read this in the Daily telegraph today

Car Hoons risk losing registration if they raise or lower vehicles by more then 5cm without approval.

The changes come in effect 1st Aug which means all modifications will now require engineering approval.

Hoons may think their cars look cool but as far as I'm concerned anything more then 5cm change is dangerous and doesn't belong on our roads Road Minister Mixheal Daley said.

So heads up if your car has been lowered by more then 5cm.

Mods please remove if this has been dicussed before.

50mm is a pretty intense drop though. I wouldn't want to lower my car that much.

Most people only usually drop their car 35mm or there abouts. Once you go to a 50mm drop or more, your car can get to below the minimum required ground clearance anyways. So if you don't get it approved, you are driving a defectable vehicle. This just makes it easier to catch the defects.

how would they know its 5cm lower? they have a record of stock heights for every vehicle?

We all know of examples out there that are clearly too too low, even to the uneducated observer, and deserve to get done. I would expect them to use the "guilty until proven innocent" method, unless you have an engineers' report you could be in trouble if your car looks low (or high).

There is other stuf they can do - such as try and pass an object of a certain height under the car and if at any point it looks like it fails, you are done.

If it impacts upon raised cars also, there will be many 4x4 owners out there who will get pinged.

Interested to see how this plays out in practice (although it wont affect me and my very small modifications).

Coil over owners and air-baggers might be creating lots of business for thier local engineers!

Thanks 1rocky for the heads-up!

Any vehicle that is raised or lowered after August 1 will have to carry a certificate stating that the modifications confirm to safety standard requirements.

Interested in finding out how the RTA will determine that :lol:

I'm pretty sure these mod plate rules already exist for drops of 50mm+ or lifts of 150mm+. Yet another politician trying to justify their worth by doing nothing.

Yet another politician trying to justify their worth by doing nothing.

+1

So for NSW there is the new speeding rules that I believe is the raise revenue. Now this. Whats next? raising the legal driving age to 25? lol

All my suspension receipts are before that date so I'm in the clear :) ...

Haha, who needs receipts when you have backyard garages ;) LOL :lol:

So is this to say, all of us that have already lowered our cars, we are in the clear?

Evo

+1

So for NSW there is the new speeding rules that I believe is the raise revenue. Now this. Whats next? raising the legal driving age to 25? lol

Remember the days when you only had to pay for your L's when you passed?

Haha, who needs receipts when you have backyard garages ;) LOL :lol:

So is this to say, all of us that have already lowered our cars, we are in the clear?

At least a backyarder knows what the torque settings are :P

As long as it is within the 50mm drop it'll be fine.

tat's definately not wat they wan to do, NEITHER the insurance companies~

do u know how much money are made from young drivers??(not only from speeding, but hoon, insurance and stuff) i m pretty sure with private interest theory working in society, insurance companies will want to keep things this way~

+1