Kakimoto Exhaust system

Hey guys,

Ok here is the deal.My friend is selling his Kakimoto stainless steel exhaust system which came off a 2004 lancer cedia ralliart edition.

The shape looks like it would fit the corolla sportivo with some modifications to the hangers.

All dimensions that I am mentioning are the measurements of the internal diameter.

P1000205.jpg

The flange diameter after the cat is 5.7cm (2.25"), it is smaller at the flange and then increases in size.

P1000206.jpg

The flange diameter before the muffler is 6.5cm (2.5")

P1000207.jpg

The flange diameter at the muffler is 6.5cm (2.5")

P1000208.jpg

The muffler is 11.2cm (4.5")

P1000203.jpg

I am guessing that the tube size of the exhaust system is 7cm considering that it is the size that Japanese brands usually follow.

So from everyone here saying that 2.5" exhaust system is the way to go. Should I purchase this? he is offering it at an extremely low price.

Is it too big for our corolla?

Does it look like the fitting won't work on our car? (or can it even be modified?)

Edited by doublezero

I don't know about you, but to me there looks to be quite a bit of difference between the two in terms of the first piece. You would need more photos of the piece shown in the first photo to determine it its flat or whether it's more '3 dimensional'. Looks like it would take the place of the cat as well.

The time and effort to adjust the Kakimoto system to fit a Corolla would end up being pretty much the same price as just getting one custom made by which ever exhaust shop is doing your work. Get a cat-back 2.5" system that doesn't neck down at flanges and it'll be better than the hacked up Kakimoto system.

The time and effort to adjust the Kakimoto system to fit a Corolla would end up being pretty much the same price as just getting one custom made by which ever exhaust shop is doing your work. Get a cat-back 2.5" system that doesn't neck down at flanges and it'll be better than the hacked up Kakimoto system.

When you say 2.5" system, do you mean it is 2.5" internal diameter?

The whole exhaust is selling for $300NZD.

How much would it be for a workshop to chop off the tube at the near the cat, mendrel bend the end near the muffler and chop off some tube of the muffler?

Would that add up to the same as buying a custom exhaust? Stainless steel systems add up to a grand.

And the other thing is that the custom shops down here use xracing and xforce mufflers with their custom systems. Am I right to assume that Kakimoto makes better muffler than other local nz brands?

How much would it be for a workshop to chop off the tube at the near the cat, mendrel bend the end near the muffler and chop off some tube of the muffler?

Would that add up to the same as buying a custom exhaust? Stainless steel systems add up to a grand.

And the other thing is that the custom shops down here use xracing and xforce mufflers with their custom systems. Am I right to assume that Kakimoto makes better muffler than other local nz brands?

xforce are allright.

In Australia, 2.5" 304 grade stainless tubing is ~$14/m. 90deg 304 grade 2.5" mill finish mandrel bends are about $18-22ea depending on where you shop.

The actual cost of the tubing itself is SFA, it's the labour that costs the most. It's more labour to modify an exhaust like that to fit a zze than it is to make a new one.

To make a ZZE cat-back you need:

- about three 2.5" 90deg bends and a couple of meters of tube, 3 to have a bit extra... So the actual cost of the tubing itself is around $110

- add a 5" barrel stainless magnaflow center muffler for $180 and another nice oval magnaflow rear muffler for about the same and you're at just under $470...

- Then add two sets of 3 bolt 2.5" stainless flanges with gaskets/bolts and some 10mm stainless rod for the hangers for another $120.

All that added up comes to around $600 and it shouldn't take a proper exhaust place longer than 3-4 hours to cut the tube and TIG it all together with the labour cost typically around $80-100/hr... a proper exhaust place would also be paying a lot less than the prices I've quoted for the parts to make the exhaust.

So for an additional $300 over the price of purchasing and modifying the Kakimoto to fit your car, you'd have a much better setup.

The x-force mufflers would end up about $160 cheaper in total than using magnaflow.

Edited by CHA54

xforce are allright.

hmmm i hear my friends talk about kakimoto exhaust systems... and in there opinion its very good, dunno if u can compare it to xforce but... IMO kakimoto is better than xforce but its really up to you...

shipping an ehaust syste from NZ would be costly i'd think

He's from NZ..

I think just get a decent shop to make you a custom system. Much less hassle.

I think XForce are great quality mufflers although I haven't tried others like Magnaflow..

Just get a varex muffler with good ol powar!!!!

For comparision,

CES CAI + Ported Headers + Stock pipe on a varex muffler - 113. (something) KW

CES CAI + Ported Headers + CES Catback - 109. (something KW)

Done on a corolla sportivo on the same dyno, same day back to back.

420 delivered from best mufflers.

Draw your own conclusion....

;)

Oh, on top of that the varex muffler on stock catback pipe also gives you more drive-ability (torque).

Lets not open up this can of worms again. Every time I hear the word 'Varex', I imagine a massive argument that follows.

Oh, on top of that the varex muffler on stock catback pipe also gives you more drive-ability (torque).

Lets not open up this can of worms again. Every time I hear the word 'Varex', I imagine a massive argument that follows.

Hahahahhaha ................ What can you do Darryl ...... there are pro 3 lettered product and there is Varex.

Merely mentioning the result of the dynos I did but if some are too childish to accept that then what can you do ............

;)

You love yours don't cha? :lol:

Not much love for JDM? lol just kidding.

I got around asking for the costs of making a custom exhaust and here they are:

mild steel system with x-force muffler is $600

Stainless system with x-force muffler is $1000

I will pop down to another shop to see how much it will costs to modify the kakimoto to fit my car.

I have injen intake and ported headers already. Would be keen to dyno it after exhaust!