1UZ-FE into my 93 Hilux

v8toy

cheers mate i like a tidy engine bay its even cleaner now i give it a wash yesterday arvo with an alkaline based detergant looks real clean now lol.

to be honest i only took out what i didnt need in the engine bay the only hilux wiring left in it is the main fuse box and the starter relay system and the alternator wiring aprt from the obivious headlight wiring etc.

i thought it only seemed logical to use the factory starting system it already had the relay mounted i just needed to run a longer wire from that to the starter motor trigger wire and all sweet, same with the alternator bought the adaptor plug and plugged it in all sweet again.

then i only needed to relays to run it fuel pump relay and master relay easy as that if ya electrically minded u can wire a relay easily enough 1 power, 1 earth, 1 output and 1 trigger wire.

im going to draw my wiring diagram in autocad and if someone can help ill post it on here same with the sump flange and engine mount drawings and the gearbox x-member drawing too.

have a look n this site mate for more info if u dont allready now about it this is were i did all my reasearch collect info and asked millions of questions

http://lextreme.com/forums/index.php

cheers

stewy

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

allrighty well it official i ned to buy me one of those profile cutters lol im sure id make some money of it haha

got the sump flange and i can safely say i got aroused haha

10mm flange

DSCF1001.jpg

next to ome sump

DSCF1704.jpg

holes drilled

DSCF1706.jpg

half tacced together the chamfered edge is to clear the pinion on full compression

DSCF1707.jpg

all tacced up

DSCF1708.jpg

all tigged up i gotta buy me one of those too

DSCF1710.jpg

DSCF1711.jpg

not bad for a bike mechanic

DSCF1712.jpg

lower section filled with water holds about 3.5l's to the top of the lower section

DSCF1713.jpg

total volumne is around the 7.5l mark right to the flange

DSCF1716.jpg

it seems to only have distorted about 1mm thru the centre so im hapy i expected it to be more.

im thinkin 3.5l in the lower section will be enough with the addition of a bolt in windage tray at the same level to make sure that 3.5l stays at the pickup and if i fill it with about 5.5 - 6l of oil allowing about 1.5l to be pumped into the engine on start up the volumne left in the sump while running should be about 4.5l's fingers crossed.

feel free to add ya thoughts on this as this is my first sump ive built and am playing it by ear.

tomorrow night ill add a small peice of 10mm plate into the bottom corner and drill and tap this for the sump plug and im not sure yet if im going to add a temp sender in it yet ill bolt it on first and check.

cheers

stewy

• 2 weeks later...

update

dropped the sump of to a mate to mill the flange and mill a section out to clear my oil pickup brackets at lunch will be back monday :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

tonight i got a little crazy and wired in the thermo fan relay etc to run via the ecu at a temp i can adjust thru the laptop.

bridged her out and by ***** does it push some air over the engine gonna fab a little air deflector doober under the radiator between the sump and bottom tank as theres a fair bit of air escaping down there. Tomorrow nights job though. :wink::wink:

also got totally wild and made a new thermostate housing up and manged to suprise myself on how well it turned out 8) 8)

10mm flange, also in there is a small peice of 50x3mm pipe and the hose tail is 40x3mm after being welded and sanded then polished lol its looks a million dollars and full **** factor.

didnt get any picks of construction

sanded and orbied

DSCF1737.jpg

DSCF1739.jpg

note the slight bit more offset the outlet has

DSCF1740.jpg

original fitted to car

DSCF1741.jpg

newy fiitted to car

DSCF1742.jpg

and all buffed up next to old one

DSCF1743.jpg

DSCF1745.jpg

so do u like the **** lol

the reason for the bit more offset was to allow the radiator hose to run dead straight and be only about 200mm long the other hose which i will get a pic of tomorrow is exactly the same length and straight too so all i need to carry in the toolbox is a length of 38mm universal hose and not 2 different types of hoses from 2 different cars :roll: :roll:

ill drop the thermostate housing of to be milled tomorrow aswell.

tomorrow nights effort will be finish of radiator, fit hoses and fab air doober underneath then go thru my big list tick a few things and maybe do something else :o :o :o

haha frankensump ill name it that lol its made from 5083 ally sheet same stuff we use on the hulls of the boats we build so yeah i think itll hold dont want ayres rock to puncture it now

• 2 weeks later...

only acouple of minor updates ordered the ecu a wolf v500 unit and indash gauge and adjuster thingy

the driveshafts are also ready to be picked up, front had to be lengthened 155mm of standard working length and rear had to be shortened 37mm

other than that just been doin family stuff the last 2 weeks (missus is nearly ready to pop 4 weeks to go) and my 5 yr olds daily stuff lol

updates will come after the weekend gotta fix the missus camera first kinda took it barra fishing the other day and it got wet and now it doesnt work lol

• 2 weeks later...

so progress has been slow but we do have a little

first was i picked up my driveshafts and they fit and they work well and they are shiny and new looking

second was i changed one of the outlets on my radiator a bit to allow a straighter run to the thermostate housing.

and i burnt my arm in the process damn it for sme rreason aluminium gets hot when u weld it

third was old mate from wolf rang me and they are having problems with the production crew on the ecu unit but will be here in a week as well as he still going to send me the new engine harness and dash gauge etc to make a start on and should be here tomorrow sometime via express freight.

fourth is i got my tac approval back they didnt knock me back on anything and have approval for all suspension and steering mods i need for this project and also approval for the v8 and different gearbox AND i can go to 35'' tyres if i wish.

so good news allround.

i was ment to be working on it for the last 2 nights but our washing machine crapped itself so ive been fixing that so now the missus owes me a favour

tomorrow night will be the night to do a few little things on the engine etc and then on the weekend ive got saturday only to do all the suspenson stuff because im goin fishin on sunday

what ive got left to do and in just over 3 months.

front shock hoops

dropped front x-member

ifs steering box fitup and steering rods etc

rear inverted shock kit

traction bar

get of my but and fit sump (just gotta buy bolts)

engine oil

tranny and transfer oils

replace diff oils

fit dual battery in

airbox and snorkel fab

fill radiator up

then final tac inspection and swerve testing etc etc

mvr rego inspection and

then drive it lol

tonight i did a bit on the rear end i fitted the anti wrap bar and also tacked in the rear inverted shock kit

gonna change the shock setup a tiny bit on the top shock mounting plate according to the snake racing site it should be welded on facing down but with it like this its only about 40mm between it and the anti wrap bar, first speed hump i drive over could possibly give it a good wack so im going to turn the plate around and face it upwards towards the tray.

i also couldnt help myself and flexed her up again :roll: :roll: :roll: i have pics they are really really really ****ty but u can still see ill reshoot them on the missus new camera later.

anti wrap bar and inverted rear shock kit

DSCN2092.jpg

here u can see how close the shock mount is to the wrap bar tomorrow i will turn it 180 degrees

DSCN2094.jpg

front flex shot

DSCN2100.jpg

mmmm it'll get better yet steering is binding it up a little x-over steering here we come.

DSCN2101.jpg

nicely tucked up

DSCN2102.jpg

rear view

DSCN2106.jpg

thats a 1m steel rule there hehe.

DSCN2109.jpg

flexing the front wheel

DSCN2115.jpg

so as u can see i got kinda carried away lol but hey who wouldnt tomorrow night ill finish of the rear shock setup then get into fitting up the front shock hoops and if time permits i'll get into the front hangers with the oxy and fit the dropped front spring hangers.

cheers

stewy

so i have half of my wolf products i got all the wiring and the wideband sensor and gauge thingy i must say there is alot of wiring lol but its all cool.

ill add in too that i am 400% impressed with the service etc from robbie at wolf. if there was a problem such as the ecu being delayed he rang me and was more than willing to answer any noob questions i had definatley recommend this comapny to anyone.

wideband sensor and gauge

DSCF1716-1.jpg

wideband gauge

DSCF1717.jpg

ecu wiring all up around 50 wires some i need some i dont

DSCF1719-1.jpg

package so far

DSCF1720-1.jpg

cheers

stewy

did a couple hrs work tonight on the big girl

fitted the 2'' dropped front x-member, refitted the radiator and hoses, refitted the centre console, fitted the last 2 lightforce 240's onto the roof so i can see at night lol and left the rig in the w/shop so i get enthuiseastic (?) tomorrow and do some work on it when i finished workin 4 the bossman.

bullbar and radiator removed

IMG00100.jpg

hehe front ome hangers kinda gone

IMG00101.jpg

hahahahaha (evil laugh)

IMG00102.jpg

of with the old

IMG00106.jpg

to fit the x-member in i had to notch the rear centre section out 62mm to clear the ally radiator due to were i placed it to clear the engine, no biggy though nothing a cutting disc and welder wont fix 8) 8) 8)

tacced up

IMG00103.jpg

and welded

IMG00104.jpg

IMG00105.jpg

finished item welded,primed and painted up

IMG00107.jpg

refitted the radiator and fitted the hoses up

hose is green stripe coolant hose from cbc bearings i used to use in the trucks and earthmoving gear i worked on definatley the good ***** but is 60 odd bucks for about 1000mm.

IMG00108.jpg

so tomorrow i will be motivated after downing 2 strong ice coffees and acouple of red bulls :shock::shock:

plan is to fit front shock hoops and shocks, modify bullbar mounting plate and refit bullbar then finish off welding in the rear inverted shock setup then who knows.

cheers

stewy

Edited by v8toy

• 4 months later...

hey fellas

nah projects not finished yet i can only wish i was driving it around

i have since moved from darwin to cairns so cars on hold for now till it arrives but still doesnt havent got much to do to finsh it.

cheers corzza i cant wait to cape york and all the north qld spots with it

cheers

stewy

• 3 months later...

havent been on here for a while life is flying by really crazy lately

even the sites totally changed on me learning curve again lol

Well no pics worth taking yet just been doing alot of wiring.

In the last few days I've wired up fuel pump relay, thermo fan relay, wired injectors (u would not believe how hard it is to get Nippon denso injector plugs for a toyota), sourced a combined coil igniter setup that bolts into the ome postion, also been and rattled the brain of ray hall from ray hall turbochargers about the cam and crankshaft triggering he made quick sense of the correct wiring for the geniune sensors.

All that's left to make it run is to wire in the oxygen sensor wires ( only 2), oil warning light, check engine light, I need to buy a oil temp and water temp gauge and get a new tps plug cause I broke it LOL.

Once it's all wired in I'll take a few pics b4 I wrap it all up.

Next weekend all fingers and toes crossed it'll be fired up for the first time in over 3 yrs.

Edited by v8toy

some pics guys

ome drivers side coil setup

DSCF3146.jpg

new coil setup

DSCF3149.jpg

new coils mounted to ome brackets.

DSCF3140.jpg

new bung for the o2 sensor but its 10mm to high damn it

DSCF3141.jpg

pretty much wired up the wires heading to the bottom of pic arent needed

DSCF3144.jpg

some engine and wires

DSCF3143.jpg

more progress tomorrow

cheers

stewy

well tried to start the lux on saturday afternoon.

had fuel and fuel pressure, had a weak spark but had spark, had cam and crankshaft triggering but she wouldnt start, checked the cam timing just to make sure and that was cool too.

after giving the 2 dizzys a bit of a clean i got a stronger spark.

a bit more trouble shooting and i had a incling that the injectors may have been blocked etc (the engine has sat for 3 yrs ), so straight down to supercrap and got some "start ya *****" sprayed that down the inlet and she fired and half ran (so long as i kept spraying lol).

so on the order list is 2 new rotors and dizzy caps and to either clean the standard injectors or get some larger ones for the sc fitment later on,

decisions decisions.

but atleast i got to hear it a little so i know ive wired it right lol.

the other thing i have to ***** around with again is the radiator started filling it up and it came almost as quickly out the core in the lower passenger side, had a closer look and one of the tubes isnt even connected to the bottom plate for the lower tank. Hella ****** off im never buying a radiator from these guys again was wrong when i initially got it and after modifing it to fit and work right it bloody leaks.

cheers

stewy

Edited by v8toy

• 2 weeks later...

:D :D :D :D :D WELLLLLLLLLLL IT RUNS woohoo :D :D :D :D :D

turns out that it wouldnt start because of installer error, installer being me lol

turns out i had the 2 ignition outputs from the ecu around the wrong way so essentailly it was 180 degrees out with the timing (which was what i thought but didnt realise how) all it tok was a simple swap of the 2 wires and walla she ran.

as the wires are allready routed and cut to size im going to leave them how i had them and swap the setting in the ecu which does the same thing.

took it around the cul-de-sac acouple of times and well im hella excited, now im going full steam ahead to get this thing on the road.

all thats left is too

fix radiator leak

wrap all the wiring up

dyno tune etc

fit x-over steering setup

wheel alignment/caster adjustment

fit 2 more gauges

powdercoat gearbox x-member

and a bloody good wash and detail.

cheers

stewy

This has been a good read, mate.

One question though, placement of the cat converter, are you going to get it emission tested? it looks like it is a long way back from the engine and could take a long time to flash up if at all...

Other than that, it looks like an animal! :)

the cat convertor is as close as i can get it to the engine without it fowling on other items but if need be i will try and change it later if its a problem.

im thinking of redesigning the exhaust system because its not as tucked up as id like it and some of the bends are a bit **** looking.

again tho something i shoulve done myself.

i parked it on the lawn lastnite as it was running out of petrol, went down the servo and on the way back up the street it looked massive and just plain tough i am so hangin to get behind the wheel for a good drive, gotta hold back tho so i finish it of properly.

cheers

stewy

WELLLLLLLLL

it broke tonight

i loaded the other ecu map on it started her up she had oil pressure not 100% but it was up there not to really worry about.

started recording the vid for ****factor reasons and at 2000rpm it stop dead it about .1 of sec flat.

th_brokelux.jpg

the pics following show what happened

DSCF3362.jpg

DSCF3363.jpg

DSCF3364.jpg

DSCF3365.jpg

DSCF3366.jpg

DSCF3367.jpg

i dont know how but the cam gear has sheared of leaving about 25mm of the cam still attached to the camgear

im not sure yet if the engine has more damage deeper as i really need to put another cam in set it all back up and rotate it by hand to see if it binds up or if the valves dont return

hmmmmmmmm cars

cheers

stewy

well i found the culprite

drivers side intake cam shaft seized causing passenger side to break

bearing journal driver side

DSCF3374.jpg

drivers side intake cam

DSCF3375.jpg

new engine may be on the way from ichiban in sydney soon and keep mine for spares

cheers

stewy

• 3 weeks later...

engine turned up late yesterday arvo seems all good on first appearances even though its been checked by the guys i bought it from ill check it myself before it goes in but should be in by sunday kids permitting lol

old engne will be used for ANOTHER PROJECT i have in mind lol

cheers

stewy

• 2 weeks later...

just a few pics so far of the steering conversion

sump after i removed from broken engine remembering it was brand new

the sorta long bits u can see in the sludge are bits of the thrust washer there was a few.

DSCF3381.jpg

thrust washer from 3rd maincap

DSCF3383.jpg

front view of factory steering

DSCF3384.jpg

side view of factory steering box

DSCF3385.jpg

DSCF3387.jpg

these are the brackets to remove for the x-over steering conversion and shock hoops

upper torque rod bracket

DSCF3412.jpg

left and right factory shock towers

DSCF3410.jpg

shock towers gone

DSCF3415.jpg

factory steering box location cleaned up ready for marking,drilling and welding

DSCF3413.jpg

hopefully tomorrow i can get into it and get the steering box fitted and also the shock hoops.

cheers

stewy