Audi A8 splits in two at Mt Gravatt

DJKOR

Was just watching the news, and saw this. Quite shocking to see and amazing how two occupants managed to survive.

One dead, two hurt as car hits pole, splits in half at Mt Gravatt

POLICE will hold an internal investigation into a fatal crash at Upper Mount Gravatt after it was revealed the car was detected speeding on the M1 before slamming into a power pole.

A young woman was killed and a man critically injured when the Audi A8 was sliced in two after striking the power pole on Klumpp Rd at Upper Mount Gravatt just off the motorway about 3am.

Another woman was seriously injured.

The woman who lives in the house where most of the wreckage ended up says she was told the car was clocked doing 166km/h on the motorway shortly before the crash.

Pictures: Speeding car hits pole, splits in two

More pictures of Audi A8 crash

0,,6745831,00.jpg

0,,6745773,00.jpg

i thought it looked like klump road

man, 166kmh on that road, must have come off the freeway absolutely flying, braked for corner, then gassed it majorly to hit 166kmh

that road is decieving, straight, but very large bumps in the road, take it from me, no way i'd be doing more than about 120kmh on road like that.

not to mention the speed limit is 60, and is regularly policed.

stolen?

whitestivo

Call me hardhearted, but I am finding difficulty in feeling sympathy for the driver. I feel sorry for the passenger who died, especially if she didn't want to be part of the speeding escapade. But the driver, I have nothing but contempt for and in my eyes, he's as good as a murderer.

When you do this kind of speeds, the risk equation tips significantly away from your favour. When you drive dangerously (yes we all do from time to time), the driver accepts the risks involved vs the fun factor, and drives accordingly. In this instance, his judgement was so far off it isn't funny - I really wonder what he was thinking. I am just happy that no innocent pedestrians or motorists were injured outside the car. Now the driver has to live with his conscience for the rest of his life - whether or not that is worth that death itself he will find out soon enough.

I hope that the driver, if they surivived, spends the rest of their life in painful reflection, one doubly painful than that which they inflicted on the people directly and indirectly involved. In jail, of course, after being put away for the criminally negligent manslaughter of their friend. If the thought of seeing your friends bloodied and twisted in amongst broken metal isn't motivation enough for you to do everything you reasonably can to ensure their safety while they're under your care and trust, you probably shouldn't be driving anyone anywhere.

The driver (clealry) has no sympathy from me, even if his passengers were egging him on or something.

so this person has gone through speed camera at tarragindi doing 166kmh, i'm still thinking it's stolen

like i said, leave the speed to the track, there are no poles there.

reminds me why i go every 6 months. i don't think ive'been past 120kmh in the stivo on domestic roads, certainly not hit lift in third.

whitestivo

I was thinking it was a bunch of Asian had too much to drink and decided have a Initial D moment... :(

Ummm.. asians are the ones that can drift :P Plus as if they would use some euro trash to deliver the tofu.

Your thinking of middle-aged men who think they can hide the shortcomings of their driving skills with an exxy car.

Edited by DHC09

Dont know either way I drove pass the accident spot tonight and didnt see any skid marks surprisingly... i guess it was a very quick and brutal accident...

DJKOR - exactly right. No sympathy when that happens... shame someone had to die in the process though.

Superdave - Are you saying that they hit the pole at less than 166? I understand how you are explaining the tension pole... but how do you explain the car at a lesser speed?

(And is just me, or does anyone else find the nonchalant expression of the young police officer in the middle ever so slightly amusing?)

DJKOR - exactly right. No sympathy when that happens... shame someone had to die in the process though.

Superdave - Are you saying that they hit the pole at less than 166? I understand how you are explaining the tension pole... but how do you explain the car at a lesser speed?

They may have hit the pole at 166km/h, maybe more, maybe less who knows (but the police will have an estimate). I was correcting Phil in that the 166km/h figure was recorded by a police car on the motorway, Klupp Rd isn't a motorway.

166 on a straight M3 is nothing for a A8... nothing could turn at those speed with 3 passengers on board....

i did see skid marks (faint) on the road marked by yellow dots (from police) leading to the poles...