Aurion Moonroof problems

Harvs73

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but I will bring this up anyway.

Several months ago my wife noticed a drop of water coming from the drivers side visor. We both had a look and couldn't find any reason for it despite a thorough check of the moon roof etc on our new Presara. It didn't happen again until a few months after, once again we checked but couldn't find any reason. But as it was due in for a big service under warranty we mentioned it then.

It turns out that all late model Camry and Aurions have a porblem with the tube that drains the water from the Moon Roof down the drivers side pillar. A bad batch went through and they are rotting and letting water build up in the pillar. The end result was that Toyota had to replace the whole internal lining and tube under warranty, this was achieved in a few hours.

When questioned why no-one had mentioned this to us at any stage during the purchase or other services we had done, the service manager just said that it would cost too much for Toyota to inspect all affected vehicles and replace the drain tubes on those that needed it. So it was up to the owner to notice it and bring it to the attention of Toyota that the KNOWN FAULT was occuring! To put it mildly, I was not a happy camper. What made me even more happy was that we were told that if we hadn't bought this up at that service our warranty could/would have been voided!

So if you have an Aurion or late model Camry with a sun roof I suggest you get it in and have it inspected to make sure that the tube doesn't require replacing.

its good that its been fixed,but with the dealer saying that with the warranty sounds a bit suspicious,if you bought new you would have a 3year warranty on that and anything else that is a design or fitment error,i might be wrong,djkor would be able to tell you more than i would.

but thanks for letting us all know

cheers

hi guys, thanks 'Harvs73' for letting eveyone know bout this common problem. i have a ZR6 sportivo with a sunroof and a few months ago (maybe towards the end of the last year) we had this problem and there was a water leak in the top of the right drivers side visor as 'Harvs73' said but mine was a patch which was about (from memory: maybe 5cm by 5 or 6cm). it was a damp patch. we never got it checked out as since then it has never leaked again! i might go back to toyota and get them to take a look at it and get it fixed if there is a problem!

How do we check whether we have the same problem if the event hasn't occurred yet?

Gettin worry now.. :unsure:

check for moisture or condensation around the top of window inside of course(lol),there is the chance yours may not have the problem,nothing to worry about until it leaks,then get toyota to check and or replace,the dealer won't do anything anyway unless he can see the problem.

OOHH.

Do you have any ideas on the time frame of the affected ones?? I just bought one, its a mid 07 with sunroof no sighns of water seepage yet. but we have only had it 4 days but will keep an eye out.

Thanks for the heads up.

Its good to hear yours has been fixed up

Cheers

Richard

How do we check whether we have the same problem if the event hasn't occurred yet?

Gettin worry now.. :unsure:

my presara was totally soaked after a recent storm , took it to toyota end eventually ended up gettimg the carpets and hood lining replaced. but not sure how all that water will effect the electrics and sensors later on down the track. the drain tubes have now been fixed and havn`t had any problems since.

my advice would be to leave your car out in heavy rain ,check for leaks , if any get to a service dept before it dries out, take plenty of pics for proof. a lot of the time they book you in days after you ring , by then the carpet dries out and they claim they can`t find any problem.

One of the signs we had (but didn't know it) was the slight discolouration of the drivers side pillar panel(?). About half way down the grey went a slightly different colour than the rest of it. This discolouration had been there since we bought it and was just passed off by the dealer as 'one of those things' when we mentioned it.

From what the Service manager said, it affects all Aurions with a sun roof and late model (?) Camry's. But basically as it's a manufacturers fault it should be replaced free of charge no matter what the age of the vehicle.

Now that you mention this.

My Sportivo ZR6 may be suffering the same fate, just a few weeks after having the rear window seals changed for the same reason (leaking water into boot).

When I'm driving when tis raining, I hear water gushing down the drivers side pillar (B pillar or whatever it is, the one thats in the middle of the car on the sides). I thought it was normal but I might get it checked out now.

Thanks for the heads up!

My Sportivo ZR6 may be suffering the same fate, just a few weeks after having the rear window seals changed for the same reason (leaking water into boot).

When I'm driving when tis raining, I hear water gushing down the drivers side pillar (B pillar or whatever it is, the one thats in the middle of the car on the sides). I thought it was normal but I might get it checked out now.

Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah I get that too, and also thought it was normal. Let us know how you go mate.

• 1 month later...

i bought a 1 1/2 y old aurion presara and this morning i found a patch of water coming thru the A-pillar (driver side). Seems like i have to get it fixed immediately. Does anybody know how long it takes for the service people to fix it?

Edited by Golfie88

Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah I get that too, and also thought it was normal. Let us know how you go mate.

Since the moonroof is not a sealed unit, the off-flow piping goes through that drivers side pillar. So its normal to hear water flowing through there. Mine is ok.