Yaris Sound Deadening

cyba_

Recommending sound deadening on a Yaris!!!

Got a 2dr 06 and just did outer skins on the door panels..huge difference in road noise, general vibrations and speakers + slammed doors dont sound like colourbond gates.

Dynamat used 4 sheets - 2 per door. wanna do inner skin, back panels and boot lid but prob when its a bit warmer :spiteful:

Been there done that...

Instead of Dynamat which is very exxy i got a tub of sound deadening tar from Supercheap and went crazy with it on a 30+ hot dry sunny day...

realised how good it was when trucks and Harvey Davidson went pass me all quite muted alot of hard work but well worth it...

I will be doing inner guards and under the car when i get my hands on some jacks and another set of ramps later on this year...

Hi Mick...

thick brush with Septone Sound Deadening Bitumen, i did the following...

the inner skin of the both doors (mine is a 3 door hatch...)

the inner skin of the quarter panels...

overall I did about 0.2mm thickness over a period of time... :rolleyes:

i will invest in 4 steel stands and clean up the underside and sound deaden there too, and also go crazy on the wheel well... (ofcoz will do this over a hot summer...) :whistling:

Hi Mick...

thick brush with Septone Sound Deadening Bitumen, i did the following...

the inner skin of the both doors (mine is a 3 door hatch...)

the inner skin of the quarter panels...

overall I did about 0.2mm thickness over a period of time... :rolleyes:

i will invest in 4 steel stands and clean up the underside and sound deaden there too, and also go crazy on the wheel well... (ofcoz will do this over a hot summer...) :whistling:

interested in this too. what is the inner skin? the plastic interior trim?

one thing i regret is not having a spray gun to do even layering but Yaris suppose to be a cheap and cheerful car so all mods will continue to be cheap and cheerful... :whistling:

How much does that sound deadening tar stuff cost? Very interested in it. Does it smell?? A few months ago I was reading about people who used some form of underbody tar to sound deaden their boot etc in the US, and they kept complaining that it reeked. Hope this product is different though!

Cost is about 40 - 50 bucks from memory for 5L (Septone) which is more than plenty for all your needs...

How does it smell?

You do get a high similar when you visit the servo... :P

the smell goes away after a week or so and forever gone after 2 weeks in summer...

You could do up the paint quickly and rent a space to bake your car so the bitumen dries out quicker, bitumen retains moisture so its better to do it on a hot dry summer day outdoors... :P

or

pay someone else to do the job for you that from memory cost in excess of $150 bucks per layer quoting from an unreliable source... <_<

thats the spirit... :toast:

do be aware there is some prep work involve being cleaning the underside of your car if you intend to put a layer underneath, infact clean watever you intend to apply a layer to...

i do intend to keep the car for another 2 - 3 years therefore i clean it pretty carefully before applying the tar and letting it dry out... (you dont want rust to start eating away inside the car... :P)

I have still 3 large boxes of dynamatt (9 sheets or so per box) lying on my bedroom floor, havent had the time to strip the car and prep it. if there is air between the layer its not quite effective. I might use this tar for the floors. sounds like it saves alot of money.

• 1 month later...

sound deadening does make alot of different especially for a cheap and cheerful car like the Yaris where the metal skin etc are thinner and has little OEM sound deadening materials in and around the car...

ofocz taking the seats, carpets and panels are PITA especially if you intend to do it in one day like me :P

• 2 weeks later...

thinking of getting some door seals off the wreckers and stick them in to the Yaris (2 door) this might reduce some wind noises at speed? (it will be a cheap upgrade im sure...)

and how did i prep the areas where i need to stick the door seals on? (besides getting those black silicon glues + clamps...)