Track Questions

Hi all,

I've just recently had Koni Adjustable Shock and King's Super Low's installed, and i'm really happy with them. The next things I'm also planning on is putting on a set of DBA Slotted or Gold Rotors, and using TRD Brake Pads.

Becuase there's no where really around town I can push my car hard and see how it really handles, I was thinking of taking it to the nearest race track for a day.

Just wondering if you guys think my suspension and brake set up will be fine for this, and what other things should I consider, such as I've seen Mobile 10W50/60 oil for racing. Is this something I should consider?

Cheers.

From the perspective of whether you suspension will be fine for the track..... YES it will be fine. If you're not aiming to be the best of the best, you won't really need to worry any more than that, especially if your car lives it's life as a road car. Of course you can get even better suspension setups, but how often are you going to track it, and are you aiming to beat particular records?

Changing to slotted rotors will be a wise move, just make sure you have the brake pads to suit as well as using a good quality brake fluid.

As for the oil, someone with a 2ZZ should answer that but personally I would be thinking that an oil of that viscosity on the 2ZZ is WAY too thick.

Remember, some people out there take their cars to the track.... stock.

most young amatuer drivers quickly find out their skills are what limits the car speed on a track, so use it as is, and go learn. just make sure you have fresh brake fluid and car is basically sound.

i think I've driven on every track in easter australia, so just holler if you need some pointers

Thanks DJKOR,

No I'd definitely not be out there to beat records, just out their to test how my car can handle. I don't think i'd be on the track regularly, depends how the first one goes and how much I enjoy it I guess :P

I've got front and back TRD Black Pads, and I've got Penzoil Heavy Duty Brake Fluid (haven't used it yet), but I think I will go buy either TRD Brake Fluid or the Motul Fluid to be sure.

Can anyone please give some advice on that viscosity oil for a 2ZZ? Just a good quality 5W40, 10W40 will suffice?

I'm not sure what to expect on a race day, and not sure exactly how hard I can or will push my car, so the last thing I want to do is take it out their and push it too hard, and warp a disc rotor or damage my suspension :P I honestly don't know the limits of either so of course I'd rather be safer then sorry.

Terryo,

Yep car sounds and feels good as usual. Always checking everything over, oil, spark plugs, filters.

Some pointer would be great actually! The only track experience I've had is on those V8 Supercar's. My GF was very nice and bought me 5 laps as Eastern Creek, and it was unreal! - although scared the hell out of me twice when I almost slid off the road :D The techniques on there i'm guessing would be the same anywhere hey? Approach, Entry, Apex, Exit etc?

You'll be fine with your setup. I'm yet to work out why people think they need to spend 10 grand before going to the track, just get out there and have fun! With the TRD black pads don't be surprised if they give up after 4/5 laps.

As for oil weight I use 10w40.

You'll be fine with your setup. I'm yet to work out why people think they need to spend 10 grand before going to the track, just get out there and have fun! With the TRD black pads don't be surprised if they give up after 4/5 laps.

As for oil weight I use 10w40.

Thanks.

Why do you say they'll give up on 4/5 laps? :S

Edited by kizz

brake pads are commonly fried after a few hard laps as road use pads just wont hack repeated hard stops. eastern ck not so bad, but go to a really fast track like Qld raceway or phillip island, and you'll be lucky to get 3-5 laps on stock pads, if you push them really hard to slow at the end of the main straights

for track-day warriors doing sprints etc on tight tracks like Winton, Morgan Pk etc, or for drifters, we sell a special high temp Lucas-TRW pad that is still OK on the street. these however are no good on fast tracks, and for these you MUST have proper race spec pads like Ferodo DS2500. These however are very unkind to disc rotors. There is a new Ferodo compoud we are currently trialling, that is designed for amatuer motorsport

as for technique, you've got the right idea. if you cant afford professional tuition, start slow and try to follow someone who knows the track and has a similar type of car, eg FWD

I should also add that should you get glazing on your pads it does wear off, or you can remove the pads and scuff them up to remove it; braking performance will return, however boiled fluid will not. But leave a bigger gap to the car in front on the road as the lack of braking performance can catch you out.

Also, don't use the hand brake on hot brakes. The ZZE isn't too bad since they get next to no heat in the rear, but it is a good habit to have.