Evo's 1zz

Evo7

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Evan, post up the dyno graph. Does the power clip off early and flatten out at about 4500rpm or so? I think you need to go to another dyno too. Your dyno should be done in shootout mode 4 and in 4th gear [dyno dynamics]. If they have time, they can calibrate the dyno to read rpm too [if they have enough time].

Gav.

IMO the CAI will do very little for the power output

QFT

Evan, post up the dyno graph. Does the power clip off early and flatten out at about 4500rpm or so? I think you need to go to another dyno too. Your dyno should be done in shootout mode 4 and in 4th gear [dyno dynamics]. If they have time, they can calibrate the dyno to read rpm too [if they have enough time].

Gav.

the dyno was not in shootout mode as far as i could tell... it looked like it was just in tuning mode.

evan, if you want a cheap piggyback that can pull timing... get an emanage :P

edit: on seeing the below graphs, the emanage looks like a really good option! (considering they can be had for ~300 :P)

nice link andy...nice NA 1zz results there not far below a dead stock stivo from a 1zz with basic bolt ons and tune........i think your monster will come out great in time evan once aftermarker ECU and tune to get it all sorted...

QFT

Gav.

the dyno was not in shootout mode as far as i could tell... it looked like it was just in tuning mode.

edit: on seeing the below graphs, the emanage looks like a really good option! (considering they can be had for ~300 :P)

Alright, who has an Emanage they want to sell??

i need to know what model emanage i need for my 1zz engine, and can the sc clutch still work with the emanage?

Evo

the clutch probably wont work, but i am sure i can come up with a way of actuating it without the blitz piggyback.

3. E-manage – what it is and what it isn't

The Greddy E-manage is a simple fuel computer designed for Japanese

automobiles. The intended purpose is to allow the user to fine-tune

the fuel curve of the vehicle to take advantage of various

modifications to the car.

There are many additional options for the E-manage, allowing the user

to put together a system that suits their needs.

In its most basic form, the E-manage alters the primary airflow input

to the car's ECU. By increasing or decreasing this signal, the ECU

will alter the amount of fuel going into the engine.

While the E-manage is very powerful and flexible, a full stand-alone

ECU is even more powerful. A stand-alone ECU replaces the entire fuel

injection system with one that's designed to be easily programmable by

a laptop computer. This gives the ultimate in flexibilty, but with a

steep learning curve and a LOT of work required to tune in the fuel map

properly. It's hard to say at what point it's wiser to go with a

stand-alone than a piggyback computer (ie the E-manage) – it really

depends on how good the car's ECU is to begin with, the amount of

modifications, etc. If nothing else, the E-manage makes for a great

stepping stone before going to a full stand-alone – you can learn to

tune the car while having the factory fuel map to fall back on.

there are 3 basic types of emanage

Emanage Blue, Vmanage, Ultimate.

an emanage blue would probably do for what you are after.

QFT

Gav.

i need to know what model emanage i need for my 1zz engine, and can the sc clutch still work with the emanage?

Evo

Emanage Blue is the most basic.

Emanage Ultimate is what i would suggest.

Vmanage is purely for variable camshaft timing... IE: VVTI control, no Fuel, Ign control.

out of curiosity andy, why would you pick the ultimate?

The emanage ultimate is well worth the money over a blue IMO for the extra functionality made available. It fully intercepts both fuel and ignition, can map the stock ignition timing, doesn't need a special tuning cable, has better logging, more external inputs, etc etc etc.

But once you get to spending the cash required on an ultimate, your getting much closer to the price of a real ECU.

QFT

Gav.

Evo

Emanage Blue is the most basic.

Emanage Ultimate is what i would suggest.

Vmanage is purely for variable camshaft timing... IE: VVTI control, no Fuel, Ign control.

out of curiosity andy, why would you pick the ultimate?

it has data logging available with the software, allows the addition of the Vmanage later if you want to control the cams.

watching the tuner use the ultimate software in comparison to the Blue software, it just looked alot more thorough.

just new technology, i have had both, Blue and Ultimate. although i couldnt say that the Emanage Blue cant do the job required, i belive the ultimate would be a better option for the long term.

The emanage ultimate is well worth the money over a blue IMO for the extra functionality made available. It fully intercepts both fuel and ignition, can map the stock ignition timing, doesn't need a special tuning cable, has better logging, more external inputs, etc etc etc.

But once you get to spending the cash required on an ultimate, your getting much closer to the price of a real ECU.

it has data logging available with the software, allows the addition of the Vmanage later if you want to control the cams.

watching the tuner use the ultimate software in comparison to the Blue software, it just looked alot more thorough.

just new technology, i have had both, Blue and Ultimate. although i couldnt say that the Emanage Blue cant do the job required, i belive the ultimate would be a better option for the long term.

I would agree with you guys here.

but as CHA54 has said, once you go emanage ultimate, you are very quickly aproaching the realms of a standalone ECU, in price, etc.

If you want to go hard out with the car, I would go an ultimate (or better still a standalone ecu...vipec, powerfc, etc)

but if all you want to achieve is keeping enough fuel up to it, and pulling enough timing to stay safe, a blue would do the job, and is a LOT cheaper than an ultimate.

also, you can datalog with the blue too :)

It all depends how far you want to go with things.

I would agree with you guys here.

but as CHA54 has said, once you go emanage ultimate, you are very quickly aproaching the realms of a standalone ECU, in price, etc.

If you want to go hard out with the car, I would go an ultimate (or better still a standalone ecu...vipec, powerfc, etc)

but if all you want to achieve is keeping enough fuel up to it, and pulling enough timing to stay safe, a blue would do the job, and is a LOT cheaper than an ultimate.

also, you can datalog with the blue too :)

It all depends how far you want to go with things.

Ok,

so what i need is a Blue to stay safe... and an Ultimate to have tune capability?

i would go with the ultimate, but would a 2nd hand one be ok, or is it best to go brand new?

Also, to get it running, what needs to be done?

how long would it take to get a wiring harness made up?

or is it just simpler to go all out with a Vipec?

Prices on a Vipec unit?

Thanks for all your input guys :D

Evo

Ok,

so what i need is a Blue to stay safe... and an Ultimate to have tune capability?

i would go with the ultimate, but would a 2nd hand one be ok, or is it best to go brand new?

Also, to get it running, what needs to be done?

how long would it take to get a wiring harness made up?

or is it just simpler to go all out with a Vipec?

Prices on a Vipec unit?

Thanks for all your input guys :D

Evo

you can tune with an emanage blue, its just somewhat more limited than an ultimate or standalone.

I don't see why you couldn't use a second hand unit, just as long as you wiped it, and set the jumpers to the right settings....

with the blue or ultimate, you can wire it into the ecu in the same manner as we did with your blitz piggyback, (or you can do a 'harness')

with the vipec/powerfc/whatever you will need to make a harness.

get a 2nd hand one...

but get it installed and tuned by a Pro.

They'll be able to wipe all the old maps off, and install the latest firm ware for you to.

I'd get the ultimate... i picked mine up for $400 2nd hand.

yeah, definitely get it properly dyno tuned :D

and wow, $400 for an ultimate... i paid $300 for my blue :(

I've got a secondhand emanage Blue here with brand new main, injector and ignition harness for $300, $50 extra for a clone support tool cable, $120 for me to convert the emanage harness into a plug-in loom for the ZZE122 using new Tyco header socket etc.

I've got a secondhand emanage Blue here with brand new main, injector and ignition harness for $300, $50 extra for a clone support tool cable, $120 for me to convert the emanage harness into a plug-in loom for the ZZE122 using new Tyco header socket etc.

thats a good price for a blue... i had to diy my ignition harness from an old camry loom :D

if you go that route, it will make installing the emanage nice and easy... we will just have to come up with a solution for the clutch actuator (i am thinking just disconnect all but the power and tps wires from the blitz piggyback...)