Tinted windows

i was thinking of getting 5%, removal of old tint (35%) and installation of new tint for $200....

so whats the problem with insurance and tint??? i wouldnt mind dark tint, or is this what everyone says and regrets it???

Hi Guys,

In all my previous cars I have used 20% tint with no problems with insurance, rego or the men in blue.

Yesterday I have tinted our ZRE with the same 20% tint, however the tinting place cautioned me about some type of films that are blocking the radio reception when the rear window is tinted, as it has a built-in Am/FM antenna lines going through, so be sure to ask your tinting place if the film they're using is compatible with built-in antennas in the glass.

And BTW, we had a Nissan Tiida that was tinted in 20% and my wife had a huge accident, so the car was written off as a result, the insurance claim was approved on the 2nd day with no problems about the tint on the car either. Obviously it wasn't the cause of the accident and had the accident taken place at night, maybe it would have been a different story.

I would not recommend anything darker than 20% as it would be a nightmare driving at night with it.

Edited by jalalski

My response to everyone here saying that they have a darker than legal tint and have no issues with police, insurance etc, is:

Good for you.

I'm not against your own decisions for a darker than legal tint, but just because you are having no problems now, it doesn't mean that anyone else considering it should be fine as well. It's like saying that you speed all the time and have no issues with tickets. This just makes it seem that it's fine to do.

So anyone thinking about it, you are taking your own risk.

By the way, wasn't there recently an amendment introduced to ADR (Australian Design Rules) which now allows the tinting of all back windows (i.e. rear back doors and the rear window) in any tint film, except the front driver and passenger side must be 35%?

OK, I just found the media release clarifying the above:

MEDIA RELEASE

Thursday, 13 August 2009

Car windows under scrutiny.

NSW car owners have been warned that cars with illegal window film on their windows run the risk of receiving an on-the-spot defect notice.

NSW Highway Patrol officers now have access to electronic meters that provide an instant rating of the darkness of glass. When armed with these devices, an officer can quickly, easily and accurately check a car’s window film is within legal limits.

On Friday, 17 July, one licensed AUVIS[1] inspection station in Sydney was visited by four cars that had their window film removed or replaced after receiving defect notices from Highway Patrol officers using electronic meters.

Rob Hamilton, President of the Window Film Association of Australia and New Zealand (WFAANZ), comments “When used correctly window film provides great protection, but unfortunately some uninformed tinters apply film that is too dark and deemed unsafe. Drivers need to receive correct advice when considering window film for their vehicle.”

A visible light transmittance (VLT) rating measures the amount of light that passes through tinted glass. The lower the VLT percentage, the darker the film. Since August 1994 NSW laws require tinted side and rear windows to have a VLT of at least 35%, meaning 35% of light must still pass through the window after film has been applied.

Federal law, however, allows lower VLT glass (sometimes called privacy glass) on new vehicles for any window behind the driver’s position. So if a new vehicle has rear windows with say a 20% VLT, the owner cannot legally have the front side windows tinted to match.

Rob Hamilton said “These automotive film rules are not widely known, which is why the instance of illegally darkened windows is so high.”

The question then is how to ensure the window film on your vehicle is compliant.

Rob Hamilton said, “The solution is simple. Just ensure your tinter is aware of the regulations governing your state. Contact your local WFAANZ member as they know the regulations and will do the job properly the first time. They have access to the latest updates and training and abide by an industry code of practice.”

Window film applicators may face fines or criminal action if installing automotive film illegally. There have also been reported cases of car owners having their insurance claim refused following an accident, as the car was deemed un-roadworthy because of illegal film.

NSW auto film regulations can be found at Automotive: Australian Design Rules

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I asked Tint Professor for a quote.. $265.

Just wondering, in their reply below: "we would recommend putting a slightly darker film on the back window as this will give you a sportier look and a little bit more privacy. This slightly darker film is no extra cost."

Would this look weird? A darker shade on the back window than the other windows?

Peter.

Dear Peter,

Thanks for your inquiry.

To tint your 2009 Toyota Corolla with the best grade of window tinting on the market costs $265, which includes free pick up and delivery. Your window tinting is guaranteed perfect for life, any problems we fix, no questions, no charge.

With the Corolla we would recommend putting a slightly darker film on the back window as this will give you a sportier look and a little bit more privacy. This slightly darker film is no extra cost.

To book your Corolla in for tinting or for more information please contact us either by e-mail or telephone (1300 668 663) and please remember the price includes our free service of pick up and delivery anywhere within the Melbourne metro area, please allow about 3 hours.

Thanks again for your interest.

Regards Louise

The Tint Professor

PS Don't forget about the Easy Pay option. You pay $67 and get your car tinted today, then pay $66 for the next 3 months and that's it. The amount comes out of either your bank account or credit card. No interest. No fees. It's that easy.

Mate,

tomorrow i am dropping my car in to get done,

and getting darker at the back, and lighter at the front.

but the % of darkness, is something i won't be announcing on here XD

doesn't look crap at all... its JDM yo! :P

Evo

Guys i did a big mistake i want it to go 5%, he show me the material and i like it, it wasnt so dark. But when my car is done its to DARK!!! now im worry about the cops and the insurance. Maybe ill have to redo it to lighter now its going to cost me $295 again ;(

I reckon you should have kept the 5% tint, cause in a few months time it will fade and get lighter. I know my 20% has faded slightly.