yellow light

boat_spec

i got ownd.. i ran a yellow and took the intersection turn... and at the end of the turn a cop was there.

i forgot to say i couldn't stop safely so took the corner xD but he had no view of if i was able to stop or not someone give me advice to wat i should do? appeal it or just wait the three months of suspension..and lose 234 buks

Depending on your state but i know in NSW you cannot appeal a penalty notice now unless you have had 10 years of driving experience and a decent record. I tried appealing a speeding fine and after i wrote a letter that was the response i got. Looks like you just going to have the wait out the 3 months and the cash...

Edited by trd-benji

In Queensland you must stop at a yellow if you can do so safely, and while the officer may not have been able to see your approach to the intersection, he would have had to have been in a position where he could see the colour of the light so he knew what colour it was when you went through.

He should/would have been able to see how long the light was Yellow for the, and if it had have been yellow long enough, he'd be able to (and any respecting magistrate) work out that you should have had enough time to stop, unless he's being a prick and you entered the intersection just as it went yellow.

These are pretty hard to appeal, because all the Police Prosecuter has to do is to get up in court and say that based on the timing of the light changes, unless you were speeding, you would have had ample time to stop. Your word against his, and usually goes the way of the PP. If you have that few points left that this will result in a licence suspension, then the Magistrate will make assumptions that the PP are correct usually based on your already lowered amount of points that you perhaps do have a dubious driving history.

If this is the first time you have ever been pulled for anything traffic wise, then yeah, you may have a case, but I would be wanting to present some better eviudence opther than "he couldn't see my approach to the intersection"

Good luck mate

i got ownd.. i ran a yellow and took the intersection turn... and at the end of the turn a cop was there.

i forgot to say i couldn't stop safely so took the corner xD but he had no view of if i was able to stop or not someone give me advice to wat i should do? appeal it or just wait the three months of suspension..and lose 234 buks

No offense, but just wear it. You were in the wrong and the system is in place to teach you a lesson.

If you didnt have enough points left you should have been more careful... That isn't to say you can act a fool when you have the points to spare.

what dictates whether you have ran a red light or not?

Azza, you said 'if you can stop safely' which is all well and good however doesn't this seem a bit grey? Is this the law?

Just interested.

Stopping safely implies that you had ample warning to bring your vehicle to a halt without tyre skidding or sudden stopping potentially resulting in a vehicle hitting you from behind (even if they are too close).

Most yellow lights will operate on a 3-5 second time delay. If you are driving your vehicle at the posted speed limit, then this would be ample time to bring your vehicle to a halt before the intersection, remembering the 2 second rule you were taught when learning to drive.

Now, following the 2 second rule, if you are within 2 seconds of the intersection when the light goes yellow, then you obviously will not be able to stop before the interesection safely and subsequently, you would have had ample time to clear the intersection before the signal turns red.

If you are further than 2 seconds, at 60km/h then you should have ample time to stop.

Now boat-spec makes the comment "i ran a yellow and took the intersection turn". The simple fact that he is taking the turn implies he is already slowing his vehicle, meaning that if he wasn't, and was intending on a massive handbrake inflicted Scandinavian Flick, then a potential dangerous driving infringment may be warranted.

From the limited information boat-spec has provided, I would deduce that he perhaps entered the intersection late and the light went red whist still within the boxing of the intersection. If his wheels had have left the intersection prior to the light signalling red, then I would say that there is more to it than being put to us in the initial post.

I hope I made it a little clearer

Azza :)

Traffic lights are 3 seconds between yellow and red from what i know. And as long as all four wheels are in the intersection and past the lines for stopping before it turns red then your not running a red light. As for whether he could stop i dont think anyone but the driver could know that.

I ran a yellow light with a cop behind me, and i got pulled over and got done for driving a manuel car, she tried to do me for running the yellow light, and i told the cop i had no idea you couldnt go through yellow lights, i always thought of it as an indicator as its turning red. I got away with only $190 fine for driving a manuel car, as my license was only auto.

Traffic lights are 3 seconds between yellow and red from what i know. And as long as all four wheels are in the intersection and past the lines for stopping before it turns red then your not running a red light. As for whether he could stop i dont think anyone but the driver could know that.

That's the way I see it. Though I've been known to floor it at yellow lights so my perspective is a bit pointless. I'm glad they don't put speed cameras at intersections like some places I've seen interstate.

Regardless, the general rule is that when it turns yellow, if safe to stop, you should stop. Whether or not this gets enforced is entirely up to the officer that is having a bad day.

yes - this is what I have been lead to believe. However, what azza says makes complete sense.

Regardless, the general rule is that when it turns yellow, if safe to stop, you should stop. Whether or not this gets enforced is entirely up to the officer that is having a bad day.

x2

Here you go, I have done some research on Yellow lights on the Eastern States. General principal is the same across all 3 states....

"Yellow means STOP unless you are unable to do so safely."

Ref: Driving In Victoria: Rules & Responsibilities Page 27

"Yellow (amber) means stop. You can enter the intersection if you are so close that sudden braking might cause a crash..

Ref: Road Users Handbook Page 97

"Stop if it is safe to do so."

Ref: Your Keys to Driving in Queensland Page 61

Wow, I am surprised people didn't think Yellow meant stop!

Do you all realise that at a roundabout you don't HAVE to give way to the right? There is nothing that says give way to the right. What it does say is that you must only go through when safe to do so and not impede on traffic flow.

you don't HAVE to give way to the right...you must only go through when safe to do so and not impede on traffic flow.

isnt this contraditory? I mean on a roundabout, the traffic only comes from the right and by not entering the round about to impede on traffic, well this is giving way? ;)

Now boat-spec makes the comment "i ran a yellow and took the intersection turn". The simple fact that he is taking the turn implies he is already slowing his vehicle, meaning that if he wasn't, and was intending on a massive handbrake inflicted Scandinavian Flick, then a potential dangerous driving infringment may be warranted.

I hope I made it a little clearer

Azza :)

case closed

you don't HAVE to give way to the right...you must only go through when safe to do so and not impede on traffic flow.

isnt this contraditory? I mean on a roundabout, the traffic only comes from the right and by not entering the round about to impede on traffic, well this is giving way? ;)

LOL yes it is a contradiction because the traffic you will impede will be on the right.

Giving way

Slow down as you approach a roundabout. You must give way to traffic already on the roundabout if there is a risk of collision. Enter the roundabout when there is a safe gap in the traffic.

This is how I read it, if i get to the round about before any other car then I have right of way and they have to stop for me if there is risk of collision. None of this bull ***** waiting 5 minutes because there is a car 50 meters up the road to my right. If i get to the round about at approximately the same time as another car on my right then they have right of way because I would be impeding them more then they would be impeding me.

The laws in nearly every state, territory or country I have driven in state that you must give way to the right (or left where driving is done on the opposite side of the road to here in Australia.

When approaching a Roundabout, yes, you must give way to what ever traffic is already on the roundabout (as you would if you approach an un-signalled intersection governend by a Give Way sign. THis is why nearly every entry to nearly every roundabout in the world has a Give Way or Yield sign on the entry approach.

So yes, here in Australia, by giving way to the traffic already on the roundabout, you are effectively also following the give way rule. Same sh!7, different texture....

The laws in nearly every state, territory or country I have driven in state that you must give way to the right (or left where driving is done on the opposite side of the road to here in Australia.

When approaching a Roundabout, yes, you must give way to what ever traffic is already on the roundabout (as you would if you approach an un-signalled intersection governend by a Give Way sign. THis is why nearly every entry to nearly every roundabout in the world has a Give Way or Yield sign on the entry approach.

So yes, here in Australia, by giving way to the traffic already on the roundabout, you are effectively also following the give way rule. Same sh!7, different texture....

Spot on Azza about the give way signs.. That is what round abouts are and everyone has a give way sign.. The RTA website and every other RTA documentation I have seen never specifically state that you must give way to the right. The same rules apply to left and right.

If you stick to the truth and he if does and provided you were in a position which made it impossible to stop safely and if he saw it that way, which is why there is a amber light. Then the case should be ruled in your favor. But to tell the truth I'd hate your chances too many ifs ????

so much for advice. anyyway im just gonna pay for it and cop the 3 months i cbf wasting time

I thought the advice given was reasonable (sure, the roundabout stuff was a bit off-topic). Is there some clarification / extra info needed?