no satnav signal, Auspac unit. help please

Jorgeo

a few days ago I turned on satnav on my auspac unit and it is not detecting gps receiver.

i changed to tomtom and still the same, i thought the cable may have come out so I pulled unit out and checked, everything connected right.

everything else on unit works except gps, I have contacted Rob @ auspack and he is looking into it.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has had similar problems and can help me out.

Thanks George.

I had this issue for about a week, and then it went back to normal. I ran the diagnostics and it showed the data it was receiving. It was a week when it was cloudy and I have noticed that it happens alot during those specific weather conditions.

I don't think it is a sat problem, weather has been fine. it cant find the GPS receiver which is either software or a hardware problem, i think the reciver has ***** its self, thanks for the reply anyway.

I don't know if this may possibly help, but when I had a similar issue, this is what I did (in iGO8):

Also, if you put this on your unit and find that it does not find any satellites, proceed with the following:

Go into your menu -> go right a page -> select 'GPS' -> remove the checkbox in 'GPS Enabled' -> then select 'Auto-detect'

I don't know if this may possibly help, but when I had a similar issue, this is what I did (in iGO8):
Also, if you put this on your unit and find that it does not find any satellites, proceed with the following:

Go into your menu -> go right a page -> select 'GPS' -> remove the checkbox in 'GPS Enabled' -> then select 'Auto-detect'

Thanks DJKOR,

unfortunately that was one of the 1st things I tried with no success.

this problem looks serious, hardware failure.

as a last resort I might reset. what do u think?

You should do a hard reset if possible and that means to unplug the head unit completely for an hour or two. There weren't any settings in the 'Navigation Options' menu relating to the receiver were there? My car is parked in the basement and I'm stuck in my room at the moment so can't really check it out right now.

Hopefully your GPS receiver is not totalled. If it is, you will need to open your head unit to change it. This is what the WinCE/GPS board looks like:

img9199w.jpg

You should do a hard reset if possible and that means to unplug the head unit completely for an hour or two. There weren't any settings in the 'Navigation Options' menu relating to the receiver were there? My car is parked in the basement and I'm stuck in my room at the moment so can't really check it out right now.

Hopefully your GPS receiver is not totalled. If it is, you will need to open your head unit to change it. This is what the WinCE/GPS board looks like:

img9199w.jpg

after unplugging for a couple of hours, do u still reset using paper clip?

as for settings I've looked everywhere and cant find a receiver setting.

luckily my unit is still under warranty, but not looking forward to sending away. Rob wants me to ring him and he will try and fix problem, wish me luck and thanks for the help, will let u know what happens.

Hi,

I had this problem on a mates Honda CRV. I was one of the units we purchased from Rob.

There is a firmware update which fixes it. Contact Rob and he'll send you a file you install on the memory card and run.

It worked on the Honda version which is identical to the toyota version.

Hi DKzr6,

Rob sent me update with these instructions, is this what u did to your mates unit?

what he says about stuffing it up has me worried.

I am a bit confused about what to do after update has finished, Rob says remove SD card and finish update, he says I should see a window that says "update OK". I have attached photo of it, do I just click OK on it and that's it or what?

Thanks for your help.

from Rob, below

[i am not sure this is the problem but the files are attached.

Uncompress the attached file and copy it into the root directory of a blank SD card.

Insert this SD card into the unit then power on the unit again, the software should automatically update.

If it fails to update automatically, choose"autorun.exe" from "navigation setup" in NAVI mode and return to click "navigation" to start the update.

It is important that there is no power disruption or DO NOT POWER OFF the unit during update, or else the IC will be burnt, and the unit will be bricked.

After the update is finished, it will show the attached picture "update ok".

Then remove the SD card and finish update to see if radio can receive GPS signals now.

Regards

Rob]

I have been looking for a fix for my gps and came across this firmware update, I was wondering if anyone has used it on the auspac unit?

Homeland Secuirty Report of GPS Week 256 Rollover problem [uscg.gov]

NAVCEN GPS ADVISORY REGARDING GPS 256 WEEK ROLLOVER

The USCG NAVCEN has received multiple reports of GPS problems beginning on or about 11-14 June 2009. During this timeframe, two of the counters providing a truncated representation of GPS week in the GPS navigation message reached their maximum value (255) and reset to zero. This is a normal, documented behavior of the GPS signal, but past observations have shown that some GPS receiver sets do not properly process this event. NAVCEN recommends that anyone with a GPS receiver which began experiencing problems during this timeframe consider consultation with the receiver's manufacturer. Background information follows:

GPS time is defined by a week counter as well as a time of week counter. These counts, respectively, started at 0 roughly at midnight UTC, 6 January 1980. The GPS broadcast provides truncated representations of the GPS week count in several different locations of the navigation message, including:

* Subframe 1 (10 bits): WN: Resets to zero every 1024 weeks and is a truncated representation of the week count corresponding to current GPS time.

* Page 25 of Subframe 5 (8 bits): WNa: Resets to zero every 256 weeks and is a truncated representation of the GPS week count corresponding to the broadcast GPS almanac's time of applicability. NOTE: The GPS almanac's time of applicability is, based on current MCS software, projected roughly three days into the future relative to current GPS time, and therefore can show an updated week count that is first noticeable on late Thursday or Friday instead of Sunday. (IS-GPS-200D, Section 20.3.3.5.1.5).

* Page 18 of Subframe 4 (8 bits): WNt: Resets to zero every 256 weeks and is a truncated representation of the GPS week count associated with the UTC time parameters. (IS-GPS-200D, Section 20.3.3.5.1.6) It appears that certain types of receivers are continuing to have problems with the rollover even past the rollover date. If your's happens to be one of them, please contact your GPS equipment manufacturer to see if they have a fix for you.

If you have comments or question please contact:

Rick Hamilton

CGSIC Executive Secretariat

USCG Navigation Center

703-313-5930

6/17/09 09:00 PM PST

Official Fix & Instruction

http://www.navsupport.net/gps/quickfix/

Download: ftp://fwupdate:fwupdate@122.146.3.141/nk.bin (FTP)

Alternate: ftp://fwupdate:fwupdate@122.146.3.142/nk.bin (FTP)

Alternate: ftp://supauser:none@122.146.3.141/nk.bin (FTP)

Alternate: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mhj...Staple.zip (HTTP, zipped)

Notes:

- Click the top link above for the instructions.

- All files above contain the same nk.bin file.

- All files above contain version 3.25 of the firmware (gps2gmouse.3.25.00.bin) which is newer than the one included in GPS-update-20090615.rar, lark_gps.zip, or Godspeed.rar.

- SHA1 hash for the NK.BIN files above: fac8a2f4768c327be2400873c74c69141104186a

Advanced

If you prefer to manually update the firmware to v3.25... Extract the following to the root of the SD card, insert the card back into the GPS, turn on, browse and double click on the update executable using file explorer...

Download: http://rapidshare.com/files/24583...e.rar.html

Hash

If you would like to verify that your v3.25 firmware download is not corrupt:

fac8a2f4768c327be2400873c74c69141104186a *nk.bin

264152ed143964b7200d31e1b9062de9e1e6ebdf *gps2gmouse.3.25.00.bin

You will need a SHA1 checksum utility like cyohash [cyotec.com] to compare the hash.

Alternatively, just download the ZIPed file above. Extracting the zip file successfully will also verify its integrity.

Bring it to a Staples store

Starting Monday June 22, you can also bring your Omnitech GPS to a Staples store and let them update the firmware for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi DKzr6,

Rob sent me update with these instructions, is this what u did to your mates unit?

I am a bit confused about what to do after update has finished, Rob says remove SD card and finish update, he says I should see a window that says "update OK". I have attached photo of it, do I just click OK on it and that's it or what?

Thanks for your help.

from Rob, below

Uncompress the attached file and copy it into the root directory of a blank SD card.

Insert this SD card into the unit then power on the unit again, the software should automatically update.

If it fails to update automatically, choose"autorun.exe" from "navigation setup" in NAVI mode and return to click "navigation" to start the update.

It is important that there is no power disruption or DO NOT POWER OFF the unit during update, or else the IC will be burnt, and the unit will be bricked.

Then remove the SD card and finish update to see if radio can receive GPS signals now.

Regards

Rob]

Hi,

Once it says OK down the bottom. Press OK at the top corner of the window. This closes the update program. Remove the SD card and restart your satnav software.

If the update does not start automatically, go into the satnav options and setup the update as the file to run when you start your satnav. When you start your satnav the software will run instead. Once finished make sure you change the setting back to your satnav folder so that it will run.

Daniel.

Hi DKzr6,

Thanks for your help.

from Rob, below

Regards

Rob]

Hi,

Once it says OK down the bottom. Press OK at the top corner of the window. This closes the update program. Remove the SD card and restart your satnav software.

If the update does not start automatically, go into the satnav options and setup the update as the file to run when you start your satnav. When you start your satnav the software will run instead. Once finished make sure you change the setting back to your satnav folder so that it will run.

Daniel.

the update Rob sent me would not work, windows said cant open fw file.

That's why I searched for another update, found the one I posted, everyone on that forum who used it said it worked great, giving there units faster sat tracking etc.

I was wondering whether anyone on this forum has used it.

sorry to here about your car.

looks like GPS receiver is stuffed, Rob has sent new antenna but still want work.

now I have to pull unit out again and post it to Melbourne.

I was wondering if anyone else with this unit has had hardware failures and sent it back for service? and was it fixed properly and quickly.

Thanks for any replies.

• 2 months later...
looks like GPS receiver is stuffed, Rob has sent new antenna but still want work.

now I have to pull unit out again and post it to Melbourne.

I was wondering if anyone else with this unit has had hardware failures and sent it back for service? and was it fixed properly and quickly.

Thanks for any replies.

If anyone is interested my unit had a faulty Gps receiver, sent it to Rob and he replaced board.

only took a week to get it back and unit is working well.