6x9 speakers back shelf of corolla

A while ago I purchased new front, back speakers and head unit for my car. The deck and front speakers are installed with no problems, and look and sound great, how ever the back, 6x9 speakers, which I placed on the narrow bit of the back shelf (that lifts up when boot is opened). I reinforced the shelf underneath with wood about 1 inch thick. The problem is that even with the shelf being reinforced, it rattles and shakes when I drive, causing distortion to the back speakers.

Does anybody have suggestions as to how to and where to place the 6x9 back speakers, so they are stable?

Front speakers: 6.5 inch Coaxial Phoenix Gold

Back speakers: 6 x 9 Phoenix Gold

Deck: Pioneer DEH - 7750

Ryan

:)

A while ago I purchased new front, back speakers and head unit for my car. The deck and front speakers are installed with no problems, and look and sound great, how ever the back, 6x9 speakers, which I placed on the narrow bit of the back shelf (that lifts up when boot is opened). I reinforced the shelf underneath with wood about 1 inch thick. The problem is that even with the shelf being reinforced, it rattles and shakes when I drive, causing distortion to the back speakers.

Does anybody have suggestions as to how to and where to place the 6x9 back speakers, so they are stable?

Front speakers: 6.5 inch Coaxial Phoenix Gold

Back speakers: 6 x 9 Phoenix Gold

Deck: Pioneer DEH - 7750

Ryan

:)

double sided foam tape?

Dude - What you'll find is that the vibrations you are recieveing is purely because the rear parcel shelf was never designed to be used to mount speakers. Even though you have reinforced it, the mounts are still standard. (I think 1 Inch is a bit over the top though :) )

What I'd be doing is removing the parcel shelf, and making a new one out of 9mm MDF. (A great excuse to go to Bunnings :P )

If you are handy (or have a mate that is) with a jigsaw the you should have no probs in fabricating something to suit.

By doing this, you are creating a base for the speakers to be mounted to that is sturdier than the plakky **** that is standard.

You will need to manufacture something pretty special in relation to the little cylindrical bits that act as the 'hing' on either side, maybe a small metal bar of some form. (Another excuse to go to Bunnings :P :P )

Hope this helps....

y did u get 6x9s? u should of jus got a 6 inch or a 6.5 inch speaker and replace the stock ones. its a general rule in audio setup never over power the back so that it becomes louder than the front splits. it doesnt sound to good wen that happins.

What's size got to do with power?

Anyway, I have some Pioneer 6x9's to mount somewhere in the rear - I was thinking high up on the C pillars with spacers to orient them toward the front.

i think presence might be a more suitable word. i know exactly wat ck [03.14] means about having 6x9 at the rear.

i got 6x9s, but they are mouted in the hacth back boot on the sides, witht the amps where the spare tire would be covered with fiber class. of course i payed 150 AUS to get this custom made but best way to go about it :)

i got 6x9s, but they are mouted in the hacth back boot on the sides, witht the amps where the spare tire would be covered with fiber class. of course i payed 150 AUS to get this custom made but best way to go about it :)

u got any pics nino_leb?

What i did to mine is filled up that space in the rear tray put carpet on it.. you know how the rear tray has a sort of ditch in it. Thats what i filled up and it looks flat now. I'll take pics of it when i get a camera. I think thats the best way. No rattle or vibration at all.

,May 3 2005, 11:37 PM]

u got any pics nino_leb?

nop but ill take a few tonday or tomz depending on when i can get the camera from uni :huh:

,May 3 2005, 11:37 PM]

u got any pics nino_leb?

nop but ill take a few tonday or tomz depending on when i can get the camera from uni :huh:

i cant wait

nop but ill take a few tonday or tomz depending on when i can get the camera from uni  :huh:

WHAT???

;) :blink:

Edited by Azza

• 2 weeks later...
y did u get 6x9s? u should of jus got a 6 inch or a 6.5 inch speaker and replace the stock ones. its a general rule in audio setup never over power the back so that it becomes louder than the front splits. it doesnt sound to good wen that happins.

I agree with the above quote.

If your serious about your incabin audio experience you should get a set of good quality 2-way speakers for the rear doors. These are just for rear fill.

Instead of putting the extra money towards 6x9's it would have been better to spend the cash on a better set of splits for the front. This will ensure your staging is correct.

Then again if its SPL your after....please yourself.

sell the 6x9's and by a decent 6.5 components splits. better SQ and easier to mount and looks better.

6x9's never really had good SQ and although good for home audio use!! they're $)(%*#@$ loud hooked up to a decent amp and get a huge box for it!

the rattling he may be experiencing is not enough back pressure on the 6x9's to hold it so try getting a cover for the back of the speaker it'll also help with weighing the back shelf down.

also what's powering the 6x9's??

if you don't have suffiecient power it'll also distort.